AT&T directly offers Fixed Wireless

red_dog007

Bought time.  I've been waiting for a cellular company to offer this directly. 

10/1Mbps for $70/mo with 160GB cap

http://about.att.com/story/first_wave_of_fixed_wireless_internet.html

https://www.att.com/internet/fixed-wireless.html

Seems like AT&T is milking it with the GB limit restrictions.  But if you look up many WISP providers around the nation, the price/speed ratio is pretty fair.  

Fixed Wireless could be great for Sprint, even on 2.5GHz.  Would give Sprint incentive to deploy B41 on more rural sites having fixed wireless service.

Snippets from article

Serve 400k locations by end of 2017

67k in just GA

Serve 1.1million locations by end of 2020

Service in 17 states: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin

Edited by red_dog007
  • Like 1

I'm surprised Sprint threw away the subscriber base they gained from Clear instead of transitioning them to LTE. Tactical error.

Not really.

Sprint is not and do not want to be in the game of home isp.

Att is due to its landlines holdings and DO NOT want to invest in its rural or low priority copper infrastructure that has fast deteriorated and would cost too much to replace. So they're offering this to replace old legacy DSL service in areas where they have no plans to ever really invest in.

So this wireless service is a cheap way for them to eventually abandon the maintainence and operation of the expensive copper network.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not really.

Sprint is not and do not want to be in the game of home isp.

Att is due to its landlines holdings and DO NOT want to invest in its rural or low priority copper infrastructure that has fast deteriorated and would cost too much to replace. So they're offering this to replace old legacy DSL service in areas where they have no plans to ever really invest in.

So this wireless service is a cheap way for them to eventually abandon the maintainence and operation of the expensive copper network.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Verizon has done the same thing with their copper lines. Users with breakdowns or failures are now getting wireless modems as replacements (much to their chagrin).

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk