Samsung Galaxy S8 & Dual Sim/Duos

Andrew Revering

How are you guys verifying the band? Because Scp has become so unreliable displaying the correct band its wrong 50% of the time. What is reliable is knowing the gci and or checking engineering screens. This phones radio is a monster for me so far. I'd say it's 1 to 2 dBm stronger than my v20 and holds onto b41 3 to 4dBm longer.

I'm gonna do side by side vs a note 5 and a gs6 to see..

• Like 1

How are you guys verifying the band? Because Scp has become so unreliable displaying the correct band its wrong 50% of the time. What is reliable is knowing the gci and or checking engineering screens. This phones radio is a monster for me so far. I'd say it's 1 to 2 dBm stronger than my v20 and holds onto b41 3 to 4dBm longer.

I'm gonna do side by side vs a note 5 and a gs6 to see..

Engineering screen or service menu

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

In my limited observations my Note 5 actually holds on to b41 better. But this is only after 2 hours of observations. In a day or two I will really know if HPUE was over hyped or not.

I'm thinking HPUE is really overhyped, haven't seen anything really positive with it yet on the G6 or the S8.

Just did a quick and dirty comparison to a GS6, nothing scientific, but pretty cut and dry..

GS8 is 3-6dBm stronger on B41 (I even swapped positions to negate any position advantage)

I know the exact spot all sprint phones drop to B26 in my building and the GS8 holds on to B41 in that spot, sometimes hanging on till about -117dBm (with grip of death) 

I also think people have to take into account the networks load balancing, I have dropped to B25/26 in places I think B41 might have too much traffic, and have very little to do with signal strength. 

So far so good, excellent reception.

• Like 4

Just did a quick and dirty comparison to a GS6, nothing scientific, but pretty cut and dry..

GS8 is 3-6dBm stronger on B41 (I even swapped positions to negate any position advantage)

I know the exact spot all sprint phones drop to B26 in my building and the GS8 holds on to B41 in that spot, sometimes hanging on till about -117dBm (with grip of death)

I also think people have to take into account the networks load balancing, I have dropped to B25/26 in places I think B41 might have too much traffic, and have very little to do with signal strength.

So far so good, excellent reception.

It does have good reception. But I don't think load balancing is really in play much. I have been on B41 with 3CA doing under 1 mbps in peak hours while band 25 is doing 3-4 mbps. It never tries to switch. If the signal is good enough you stay on b41 and if not then you go to one of the other 2 bands. The S6 was always a subpar b41 performer anyway. A comparison between the Note 5 would be the ultimate test of HPUE. I sometime this week I will try this. But I still want to see your Note 5 results.

It does have good reception. But I don't think load balancing is really in play much. I have been on B41 with 3CA doing under 1 mbps in peak hours while band 25 is doing 3-4 mbps. It never tries to switch. If the signal is good enough you stay on b41 and if not then you go to one of the other 2 bands. The S6 was always a subpar b41 performer anyway. A comparison between the Note 5 would be the ultimate test of HPUE. I sometime this week I will try this. But I still want to see your Note 5 results.

I will compare to N5 today, will post my findings soon.

• Like 3

My test I drove same spots I drop band 41 to band 25 and same area the s8 is about the same signal then drop so I have say no 30 percent coverage more on this phone . Maybe note 5 had best band 41 signal on a phone.my note 5 broke so I can't do real side by side. I thought I get least half miles more coverage on band 41. Oh

Didn't we already talk about this? :)

About 24 hours after I entered, I got a confirmation with the option to buy then. And I did. When I first signed up, it gave me a button to buy but the button didn't work.

So finally they sent me the link to buy it. Not bad for $106.24 with 2 day free shipping.

• Like 1

I'm curious to hear how the HPUE works on an active connection. IE. when you are streaming audio. Is it better than a non-HPUE device during an active session? I'm not as concern about how it does in idle mode because I figure it's design to save battery when nothing is going on.

Pleson fast charging pads work with S8 and S8+

Fast Wireless Charger, PLESON Wireless Charger Cell QI Fast Wireless Charging Pad Stand for Samsung Galaxy S8, S8+/S8 Plus, Galaxy S7,S7 Edge, Note 5, S6 Edge Plus etc. [sleep-friendly]-No AC Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRXM473/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Kv5-ybKG6TSZP

• Like 1

I'm curious to hear how the HPUE works on an active connection. IE. when you are streaming audio. Is it better than a non-HPUE device during an active session? I'm not as concern about how it does in idle mode because I figure it's design to save battery when nothing is going on.

Something I have noticed this afternoon was while I was listening to Pandora my phone was picking up b41 3xCA. Two of the carriers it was picking up was as low as -131. As soon as I closed the app the phone dropped back to b25. I didn't run any speed test since I was only seeing what band and signal strength the phone would pick up. My location is also in a b41 fringe area so it has been hard to even pick up b41.

My tablet Samsung tab A when using Pandora or Netflix at the same location 90% of the time is on b25.

Just an observation after reading your post. Still need much more time to judge the new device.

• Like 1

Something I have noticed this afternoon was while I was listening to Pandora my phone was picking up b41 3xCA. Two of the carriers it was picking up was as low as -131. As soon as I closed the app the phone dropped back to b25. I didn't run any speed test since I was only seeing what band and signal strength the phone would pick up. My location is also in a b41 fringe area so it has been hard to even pick up b41.

My tablet Samsung tab A when using Pandora or Netflix at the same location 90% of the time is on b25.

Just an observation after reading your post. Still need much more time to judge the new device.

That is how I thought HPUE works. I'm not an expert but I thought when it was idle it basically was the same as any other device. Once the end user started doing something, IE streaming etc, then the amplifier kicks in. If it ran in amplified mode all the time that would drain the battery. Thanks for testing it for us.

Well so far impressed with battery life. I'm at 20hrs with 4%left. Still trying to get use to the smaller phone over note 5. I got that s8 should of done s8 plus

After 20 hrs, what was your SOT?

-------------------

Can you guys with the S8 or S8+ share your SOT after 17 to 19 hrs of phone usage since full charge?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

After 20 hrs, what was your SOT?

-------------------

Can you guys with the S8 or S8+ share your SOT after 17 to 19 hrs of phone usage since full charge?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

I haven't done a drain test yet. I will in a day or too. I will say I'm getting band 41 in less places I did with the Note 5 for sure. ONE thing I notice is when all 3 carriers are active the first one will be -107 to -113 dbm and while other two are between -118 to -124. This might be the problem. I feel like a new radio update is necessary for this phone. It reminds me a lot of the Note 7(R.I.P) fantastic b25/26 and meh b41. Downstairs in my Apt I'm on b25 almost 90% of the time with this phone while my Note 5 had me on b41 around 70% of the time. Now What's interesting is when I go to b41 only mode. In B41 only it holds LTE longer than the Note 5 can indoors by a bit for sure but outside is about the same as the Note 5. The S8+ likes to hang on to b25 the most.

I'm willing to bet it's SCC1 and SCC2 capabilities are the problem with this phone. This is b41 only mode outside my Apt where my Note 5 is always on B41. I have yet to see this phone use b41 in the same area without me forcing it by turning off the other bands. HPUE is a HUGE let down and is definitely over hyped unless this phone needs a software update or something which I hope is the case.549491adaf450225f28b13668fdae811.jpg

a41913fd0c17920bf29e19e56fc4d56f.jpg
Same tower 5x5 B25 normal bands. 139da6505a65b7d187abc9e1e5b81f3f.jpg

• Like 1

I'm willing to bet it's SCC1 and SCC2 capabilities are the problem with this phone. This is b41 only mode outside my Apt where my Note 5 is always on B41. I have yet to see this phone use b41 in the same area without me forcing it by turning off the other bands. HPUE is a HUGE let down and is definitely over hyped unless this phone needs a software update or something which I hope is the case.

Same tower 5x5 B25 normal bands.

Dude I just disabled the other bands for shits n giggles, holy shiznit! Driving in Jersey city and union city my speeds quadrupled! Even at -120dBm i get pretty decent speeds.

So far I think the phone is in dire need of a radio update. It just switches to b25/26 way to freely for no apparent reason.

But it's B41 performance is again beastly, where I know my v20 would die off completely at around -116 this thing keeps chugging at -120.

Just needs to be tuned properly, hope samsung comes through.

My results driving around nj

B41 only Jersey city https://imgur.com/gallery/YKtpb

• Like 1

I will say I'm getting band 41 in less places I did with the Note 5 for sure. ONE thing I notice is when all 3 carriers are active the first one will be -107 to -113 dbm and while other two are between -118 to -124. This might be the problem. I feel like a new radio update is necessary for this phone.

Well, now I'm glad I skipped out on this device. My main determining factor for phone purchases is RF performance. The HTC Evo made me value RF performance over everything else. What's a phone without signal?

Hopefully the S8 can be fixed by a radio update, but it's looking like the HPUE difference won't come close to the 30% signal increase that was touted. I was holding hope for HPUE, but it looks like I'm just going to go ahead and switch at the conclusion of my 2 year agreements. There's just too many places that have great B41 coverage outside, but B41 won't go indoors.

Does changing the Band Priority do anything? I don't have a lot of B41 around me so I can't test it. The network should do the handoffs but if B41 can be "forced onto". What is stopping it from staying on B41 with out turning off the other bands.

I know I also reduced the LTE timer so I don't have to airplane mode to get lte as much. Having the MSL makes life so much easier.