Samsung Galaxy S8 & Dual Sim/Duos

Andrew Revering

1 hour ago, danlodish345 said:

I had Motorola phones and I don’t particularly like the Z2 force. It’s overheating on me and it boot loops

Interesting.  I liked the X2 and X1 was ok, for their time, the shake for camera/flashlight features, in particular.

I am now leaning back to the S8+, based on a few things, including the fact that I just missed the window for a free Alexa speaker snapon.

Interesting.  I liked the X2 and X1 was ok, for their time, the shake for camera/flashlight features, in particular.
I am now leaning back to the S8+, based on a few things, including the fact that I just missed the window for a free Alexa speaker snapon.

I would stick with the S8 that you want...I’m getting the S8 active this evening... I need durability lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Love 1

Just now, danlodish345 said:

I would stick with the S8 that you want...I’m getting the S8 active this evening... I need durability lol

Just a wild guess... It'll probably be worth considerably more than the Z2 in 18 months as well.

2 hours ago, Handyman said:

OK - Getting ready to purchase and activate a Samsung Galaxy S8+ on Sprint.  I am upgrading from a Google Pixel XL, which I loved, except to say that there is no WiFi Calling and no LTE-Calling Plus, and without the WiFi Calling, no service inside many of the buildings I frequent.

This is your only and last chance to stop me if I'm making a mistake (i.e., is there a better phone?)

Here are some points I considered in my thought process:

1. The Note8 is simply too tall for me.  I don't like the way it feels in my hand or pocket.

2. The S8 is a bit too small.

3. The S8+ seems like it should be wider, too, BUT, of the S8-series, it is as close to the size I want as I am going to get.

4. I also looked at the LG-series, but I am afraid to get one due to repair issues, plus their bloat apps.

5. I looked at the MotoZ2 and X4, but I am hesitant to invest in one of them because of no LTE-Calling Plus.  This was a very close second to the S8+...

6. I am a very app-heavy user.  I totally use up the 4GB ram!

Thanks for your time and consideration for your thoughts in advance :)

Why not wait a couple weeks and get the S9?? Is there a deal you're getting price-wise? Always best to get the absolute latest for updates, hardware quality and features.... unless obviously you've got a good deal going. I'm on that Forever Lease, so I'll be picking mine up in 2 months. :) 

3 minutes ago, danlodish345 said:

I got my parents both the S8 Actives. The battery is YUGE, it's perfect for them. Got them a nice slim case just for scratches and dings. Great phone. Enjoy it! 

I got my parents both the S8 Actives. The battery is YUGE, it's perfect for them. Got them a nice slim case just for scratches and dings. Great phone. Enjoy it! 

I’ve had the active series since the S5. Excellent durability. I had my S5 active run over by a 14,000 pound school bus and it didn’t have a crack on it.

Android 8 no. Accept the beta ones

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Still no update. Is pissing me off. Motorola or the pixel are looking good right now.

5 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

Still no update. Is pissing me off. Motorola or the pixel are looking good right now.

Have you tried joining the beta program? Are they on 8 yet?

Could be a drawback for me -- I am currently on 8.1 regular release with my Pixel. Just no Calling Plus or WiFi Calling on Sprint.

This might be a reason to go with the Z2Force.  Still haven't made the purchase.  Won't be before Friday evening.

Edited by Handyman

3 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Have you tried joining the beta program? Are they on 8 yet?

Could be a drawback for me -- I am currently on 8.1 regular release with my Pixel. Just no Calling Plus or WiFi Calling on Sprint.

This might be a reason to go with the Z2Force.  Still haven't made the purchase.  Won't be before Friday evening.

Beta Programme is closed, closed, closed. 

It'll be out soon enough, we're talking days to week(s), not months. Seems silly to jump to a worse phone just for Oreo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mmark27 said:

Beta Programme is closed, closed, closed. 

It'll be out soon enough, we're talking days to week(s), not months. Seems silly to jump to a worse phone just for Oreo. 

How many times have I heard that line!  Lol.  Hope you're right.  But... It might not hurt to wait til the cookie is cracked before upgrading, since there might be issues going from 8 to 7 back to 8....

On 2/27/2018 at 12:18 PM, Handyman said:

So, no case needed for the S8 Active?  Are the S8's on Android 8 yet?

May want a screen protector.  The screen on that and the Motorola are very easy to scratch because they are plastic.

I just ordered an S8 Active on eBay, $430.

38 minutes ago, jreuschl said:

May want a screen protector.  The screen on that and the Motorola are very easy to scratch because they are plastic.

I just ordered an S8 Active on eBay, $430.

On 2/27/2018 at 12:18 PM, Handyman said:

So, no case needed for the S8 Active?  Are the S8's on Android 8 yet?

I got a slim bumper case for my folks' phones because the edges are the same metal and will definitely scratch on a drop on concrete. 

There is a way to apparently add calling plus to the unlocked S8.

1. In Nova launcher add widget -> Activities 
2. Add LTE Test -> click VoLTE Test UI-> turn on first 2 setting.
3. Add Enhanced LTE Services and select this option.
4. Restart and enjoy.

LTE Test is under com.test.LTEfunctionality and Enhanced LTE Services is under Mobile on my device.

credit:  https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/help/sprint-calling-plus-update-unlocked-s8-t3730053

There is a way to apparently add calling plus to the unlocked S8.

1. In Nova launcher add widget -> Activities 
2. Add LTE Test -> click VoLTE Test UI-> turn on first 2 setting.
3. Add Enhanced LTE Services and select this option.
4. Restart and enjoy.

LTE Test is under com.test.LTEfunctionality and Enhanced LTE Services is under Mobile on my device.

credit:  https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/help/sprint-calling-plus-update-unlocked-s8-t3730053

Yup, I've been using Calling Plus on my 955U1 GS8+ for a while on Oreo Beta. Works very well.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, mmark27 said:

You guys are gonna love this....ha ha ha 209e29057327bb319ab052b28ba53be4.jpg9106ce4814563b204a33a0ac23d66541.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gotta be kidding me... I'm done with Samsung after I'm done with this S8+... good thing I installed the latest beta to hold me over it could be a few more months. Pathetic.

• Like 1

Gotta be kidding me... I'm done with Samsung after I'm done with this S8+... good thing I installed the latest beta to hold me over it could be a few more months. Pathetic.
I'm interested in the pixel whenever I upgrade next

34 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

I'm interested in the pixel whenever I upgrade next

Pixel - great phone but no LTE Calling Plus or WiFi Calling.  BIG gotchas...

How the biggest manufacturer of Android phones cannot put out timely updates for flagship devices is beyond me at this point. A sad joke, when smaller companies are pushing updates well before Samsung. We will probably see 8.0 around the 1 year anniversary of its initial release which is totally unacceptable. 

• Like 1

Well Samsung, this is annoying... 
For what ever Century the update is released. Does Sprint even have upload CA running on the network yet?