Samsung Galaxy S8 & Dual Sim/Duos

Andrew Revering

People have been saying HPUE has not made of a different. It has nothing to do with your city. It's all about the device.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

oh. I think I was confused on it. Thank you.

I have a question regarding the Sprint Galaxy S8. I have my roaming settings all turned on and all my roam alerts turned off. However, when I "Update Profile" on my phone, all those changes I made reset to the default. Do you guys know why or how I can fix this?

I have a question regarding the Sprint Galaxy S8. I have my roaming settings all turned on and all my roam alerts turned off. However, when I "Update Profile" on my phone, all those changes I made reset to the default. Do you guys know why or how I can fix this?

That always happens, just the way it is.

That always happens, just the way it is.

To clarify, when you "update profile" you are doing exactly that, resetting your settings to default.  May I ask why you are changing the settings and then doing an update profile?  You shouldn't have to manually update profile, really ever unless you are having device / tower issues...  There is no workaround.

To clarify, when you "update profile" you are doing exactly that, resetting your settings to default.  May I ask why you are changing the settings and then doing an update profile?  You shouldn't have to manually update profile, really ever unless you are having device / tower issues...  There is no workaround.

Hmm, I'm usually not doing a profile update. I think I was mainly playing with my S8 as I just got it. I also saw it update the "profile" on it's own before so just curious. If I remember, I don't think it was like this on my S6. It stayed on the setting it was before. Thanks for your input :)

• Like 1

The unlocked GS8/GS8+ is now available for pre-order from Best Buy and Samsung. Is anyone going to go with this version?

I've been thinking about it.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

The unlocked GS8/GS8+ is now available for pre-order from Best Buy and Samsung. Is anyone going to go with this version?

I'll get it once Coral Blue comes out.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The unlocked GS8/GS8+ is now available for pre-order from Best Buy and Samsung.  Is anyone going to go with this version?

I want it so bad -- but I already bought a Sprint version and I don't know how I can justify switching it out since I can't return this. I'd have to sell it on eBay or something. I'll probably end up sticking with the Sprint version. Bah!

I used Samsung Pay for the first time today. Honestly it might have convinced me to switch over, at least until more payment terminals adopt NFC. I went to CVS (which for some reason doesn't allow you to use Android Pay) and decided to try Samsung pay instead. I held it by the card reader and it recognized my card just as fast as NFC does.

• Like 5

I used Samsung Pay for the first time today. Honestly it might have convinced me to switch over, at least until more payment terminals adopt NFC. I went to CVS (which for some reason doesn't allow you to use Android Pay) and decided to try Samsung pay instead. I held it by the card reader and it recognized my card just as fast as NFC does.

Samsung Pay will keep me using Samsung for the foreseeable future.

It will fail sometimes but only because the cashier hasn't enabled "credit". Then just tap again. But that only happens < 1% of the time for me. Normally works awesome and is far quicker than chip card. Works absolutely everywhere a swipe machine is installed (except plunge style readers at the gas station, hit or miss whether it works there).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Samsung Pay will keep me using Samsung for the foreseeable future.

It will fail sometimes but only because the cashier hasn't enabled "credit". Then just tap again. But that only happens < 1% of the time for me. Normally works awesome and is far quicker than chip card. Works absolutely everywhere a swipe machine is installed (except plunge style readers at the gas station, hit or miss whether it works there).

A stated a few specific use cases that are part of the reason why I plan on going back to Android Pay earlier.

One is the ease of use when it comes to certain membership cards, specifically Walgreens. Another reason is easy withdrawal of money from my bank since they have NFC enabled ATMs that work with Android Pay. My last reason is that Samsung Pay still doesn't offer support for all of my banks/cards yet whereas Android Pay does.

Edit: Samsung Pay works with NFC ATMs. I just tried it and it worked.

• Like 4

This page shows that the GS8+ for Sprint does not support 2g/3g 1900/800 frequencies, just the 3 LTE bands.

I have to imagine this is incorrect..... right?

When I'm in bumf*** Egypt, I want to know that I'll at least fall back to 1xRTT.

Without those frequencies you would not be able to make a call.

So rest assured that they are indeed included.

BTW, all versions of the GS8 are in fact the same, once you boot the phone up with the corresponding sim card, it installs the carrier firmware accordingly.

• Like 3

Has anybody else been getting "Unable to establish a wireless data connection"  LTE: ESM-31 EMM-x" error?...randomly ?...I've called support and they did the normal profile update/ factory reset procedures.

Has anybody else been getting "Unable to establish a wireless data connection" LTE: ESM-31 EMM-x" error?...randomly ?...I've called support and they did the normal profile update/ factory reset procedures.

Yes! But data is working normally. So.....unsure.

Finally got a chance to test this phones B41/B25 performance in a favorable environment attached to a site with B25/B25-2nd C/B26 and B41-3XCA

I tested B25 only and B41 only also did B25/B41 and kept B26 disabled for testing.

One thing I noticed about this phone running the latest baseband is that it switches and latches onto B26 too easily. I think their could be some tuning issues on the baseband and network side to better support HPUE.

But my testing mostly affirms Sprint's claim of 90%+ of B25 coverage.

Did testing at the edge of B41 signal for comparison...

B25 only              -112dBm 4.1mb down/2mb up 52ms

B25 only -2nd C  -113dBm 3.3mb down/1.4mb up 49ms 

B41 only              -123dBm 9mb down/.45mb up 120ms (Super impressed that 3XCA kept a connection at this signal level, all 3 carriers hovered around similar signal levels)

B41/B25 both enabled, B41 would drop around -124dBm and latch onto a B25 -113dBm signal, once I moved deeper indoors B25 would die out around -116dBm (10-12 ft deeper indoors)  So at the end of the day, they were pretty close in terms of coverage. 

For comparison my girl's G5 would drop B41 at -115dBm (around 15ft sooner than GS8+) and switch to a -105dBm B25 signal.

*Other small notes*

I ran each scenario at least 10 times to assure some sort of consistency, all posted results were peak performance.

One negative side of having B41 in such weak levels was the ping times, I almost always had 100+ ms pings when signal level were over -118dBm (compared to 20-30ms when under -115dBm)

Surprisingly, the uploads on B41 weren't as bad as I had expected (probably because tower was completely unloaded) Even at the weakest levels, I was seeing at least .50 upload and many times over 2mb.

Hope this helps folks have a slightly better understanding of how HPUE could benefit them, and also the fact that its still in its infancy and needs time to be fleshed out.

• Like 4

Yes! But data is working normally. So.....unsure.

I turned off WiFi and then rebooted, I haven't had the error for about 2 hours.  I'll wait and see.

Edit: The error came back with WiFi off.

Has anybody else been getting "Unable to establish a wireless data connection"  LTE: ESM-31 EMM-x" error?...randomly ?...I've called support and they did the normal profile update/ factory reset procedures.

I just got this error for the first time today as well... certainly something on Sprint's side that I doubt needs to be concerned with.