Samsung Galaxy S8 & Dual Sim/Duos

Andrew Revering

No Mimo will double everywhere. It is just doubling at the edge is helpful.

Sprint won't have 1Gbps anytime soon at least real world. With QAM, MIMO, and changing the config the max is close to 800Mbps.

For future reference, gigabit class speed is not actually 1Gbps. It's somewhere in the 700's Mbps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gigabit class is upto 1 Gbps not upto 800 Mbps. It is a qualcomm marketing buzz word twisted by the carriers. For sprint to be Gigabit class they need B25 3CA of 20x20 or turn off upload on B41 3CA.

Huh? Gigabit just requires 4x4 mimo 256 qam and 50-60 Mbps of Spectrum. B41 is already for it. Just needs a network software update and, more devices that support it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don't see hd calling on my phone when talking to wife . Anybody else see this on s8. Does not sound like hd either.

I think it shows had only if both devices are hd. When I talk to my wife on her Nexus 6 my S8+ shows hd on the call screen.

Let's look at the math...

B25 5x5 max 37.5Mbps, B41 20Mhz config 2 max 112.5Mbps, and max streams of chipset 10(not true 4x4 and 3CA)

B25

37.5 x 4(to get 20x20 max) x 5(10 streams max divided by 2 because 2x2) x 1.333( around 30 increase by qam) = 1Gbps max

Gigabit class

B41

112.5 x 5(10 streams max divided by 2 because 2x2) x 1.333( around 30 increase by qam) = 750 Mbps max

Not Gigabit class

Edit: I should add s8 max since this is an S8 thread 450. Limited by number of streams which is 6. (2x2 3CA)

• Like 1

I don't see hd calling on my phone when talking to wife . Anybody else see this on s8. Does not sound like hd either.

I noticed that earlier talking to my brother in law, I got him to ditch AT&T a few years ago, didn't see the hd icon and quality wasn't what hd voice should be.

I read if you set up Wi-Fi Calling it disables hd voice. So I tested it and it true. Deactivated Wi-Fi Calling and hd voice comes back . Hope they fix that issue.

I read if you set up Wi-Fi Calling it disables hd voice. So I tested it and it true. Deactivated Wi-Fi Calling and hd voice comes back . Hope they fix that issue.

I can confirm this, what a stupid bug good thing I really don't ever use WiFi Calling. :P

Looks like Bixby voice is finally going live, a bunch of updates through the Galaxy apps store are available.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20170620-193227.png

Yeah got the same yesterday, still doesn't seem to do shit it's a stupid feature I'll never use. Google now works just fine for the few times I am lazy. :lol:

For any SwiftKey users out there, the latest Beta version fixes the resolution and lag issues the keyboard was having on the S8 and S8+ at the highest screen resolution settings. 

Bixby sucks. No idea if the voice would help, but the current offerings are garbage and the button gets an accidental push from me all the time....so I disabled the app.  For those that want to disable, I use the Package Disabler Pro (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ospolice.packagedisablerpro&hl=en)

, which now requires a helper app PDP (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mlsplit.samsungservice&hl=en) to keep it working as Samsung has been trying to code around these disabler apps.  No root required to accomplish this. 

• Like 3

Looks like Bixby voice is finally going live, a bunch of updates through the Galaxy apps store are available.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20170620-193227.png

Looks like it: http://www.droid-life.com/2017/06/21/bixby-voice-arriving-today-us-galaxy-s8/

I guess I'll enable all these dumb apps to give it a try.....

Looks like it: http://www.droid-life.com/2017/06/21/bixby-voice-arriving-today-us-galaxy-s8/

I guess I'll enable all these dumb apps to give it a try.....

I'm way to lazy to enable it so I'll just wait for who ever else wants to give a review, besides google now gives me everything I need.

It's only available for those that signed up for the Bixby beta.

Apparently the benefit of Bixby is that it simulates screen touches when launching apps. So it might have greater integration with apps without a whole bunch of API nonsense.

Someone on the Android subreddit posted this video showing them launching a song and the app opens, then types in what you want,and then plays. It's slower than Google Assistant though.

• Like 1

It's only available for those that signed up for the Bixby beta.

Apparently the benefit of Bixby is that it simulates screen touches when launching apps. So it might have greater integration with apps without a whole bunch of API nonsense.

Someone on the Android subreddit posted this video showing them launching a song and the app opens, then types in what you want,and then plays. It's slower than Google Assistant though.

Yeah I signed up sometime last week. I just set it up and for the most part I still prefer Google now but I'll keep trying it for the next few days to see how it goes. 

I've noticed that my phone will send a text message to missed phone calls. So far I've only noticed this while driving, so it seems it knows I'm driving and is sending texts and cutting the ringing off early.

Anyone know what is controlling this and where to change the settings? I tried the dialer app and saw nothing, I tried my texting app, Textra and saw nothing.

I used to keep WiFi on whenever I was home, but I noticed that I use my computer for almost everything except calling these days so experimented with keeping WiFi off all the time.  ^Besides which, when I changed over to 'unlimited everything' the Sprint Store personnel told me there was no longer any reason to use WiFi!^

Since I have been almost exclusively off WiFi, I've notice that my phone's charge seems to last about twice as long as before.  Why would the WiFi connection drain so much power?  I did not change any apps, so can't blame another obvious source.

ie - with WiFi on most of day, 7 hours till recharge (15% left) -- without WiFi on at all, 15 + hours till recharge (15% left).

• Like 1

I made the mistake of turning this on yesterday. Had a Hell of a time getting out of it. It locked up my phone. Only thing it for was anything I touched her voice cameb on. Say home button recents buttons and anything else I touched. Couldn't use my phone until I could find how to shut it off.a2cab29946f41adfa26dedab2a1d63e4.jpg

I made the mistake of turning this on yesterday. Had a Hell of a time getting out of it. It locked up my phone. Only thing it for was anything I touched her voice cameb on. Say home button recents buttons and anything else I touched. Couldn't use my phone until I could find how to shut it off.

Oh my god, my kid turned this on their Amazon Fire Tablet.....it's damn near impossible to turn off. So frustrating. You can't scroll, you can't do anything. You have to like double press everything to get it to work. I almost just factory reset the thing. 

Ok now how do I stop this. I can't use the Dialer cause it keeps forcing closed

836a8ae7f32f211e7c3df2b69dcb2c06.jpg