LG G6 to be Sprint's first HPUE-capable device

RedSpark

2 hours ago, travismheim said:

So, it's been a while since I tried wifi calling and this is my first attempt on my G6. Last night it seemed to work fine, and all day today calling plus was enabled and working. After I've been home for a couple of hours I keep getting a notification saying wifi calling can't connect to the network tap here to try again. Any ideas how to get it working again? I tried turning it off and them back on and redoing the 911 address registration. My WiFi signal is strong and working fine, and it's Sprint's wifi connect router if that makes any difference.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

I never ran into that. When I turned on Calling Plus, it already had my address filled in. Only problem I have seen is that it will randomly drop LTE and refuses to re-connect until I turn Calling Plus off.

Calling plus seemed to connect to WiFi later the next day but now I have been getting messages saying moisture detected in the USB port and it blocked charging. Wireless charging worked, also I could turn the phone off, plug it in and restart and it would charge fine until unplugged and plugged back in. I tried factory data reset and it didn't work. LG support had me send the phone for repair today. I've never had the phone near water, it's disappointing to have issues like this but hopefully they will get it fixed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Just now, travismheim said:

Calling plus seemed to connect to WiFi later the next day but now I have been getting messages saying moisture detected in the USB port and it blocked charging. Wireless charging worked, also I could turn the phone off, plug it in and restart and it would charge fine until unplugged and plugged back in. I tried factory data reset and it didn't work. LG support had me send the phone for repair today. I've never had the phone near water, it's disappointing to have issues like this but hopefully they will get it fixed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Considering the "water resistant" advertising, that definitely shouldn't have happened. Hope they get it back to you quickly. 

Calling Plus has been working much better for me this week, no random LTE drops lately. Maybe that was a network thing. Only issue I run into is when I get close to a GMO LTE site with a single 5x5 carrier, the calls get distorted and it's really difficult to hear who I'm talking to. But, the calls never drop. 

• 2 weeks later...

So i got the email notification LG repaired my phone and is shipping it back to me. The only thing mentioned was flash memory in the repair comments which makes sense since the phone would still change if powered off. It was just a software glitch preventing it from charging. I was a little disappointed the factory reset wouldn't have done the same thing, I miss the flexibility of being able to easily flash the software on my Nexus 5. From what I could tell many others have had this same problem, hopefully it was a permanent fix.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

So I see that on Black Friday, Best Buy will have the G6 for $4.99/month "with qualified activation."  The fine print doesn't seem to be included in the scan I saw; any idea what that means, exactly? 

- Trip

47 minutes ago, Trip said:

So I see that on Black Friday, Best Buy will have the G6 for $4.99/month "with qualified activation."  The fine print doesn't seem to be included in the scan I saw; any idea what that means, exactly? 

- Trip

If it is like their last sale, it means eligible upgrade (lease/easy pay) or new line.

15 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

If it is like their last sale, it means eligible upgrade (lease/easy pay) or new line.

I don't change phones often so I'm not really up on lease/easy pay details- I actually plan on keeping my phone but for others on the "Framily" plan would they be able to purchase this?

I'm assuming they'd have to pay the $4.99 / month for whatever the length of the lease is but then could they pay the buyout at the same time? So I'm not sure what that total cost would run but does anyone have any idea what that might cost?

I was going to suggest they get the Essential Phone that's going for $145 plus tax right now but that does't have HPUE and this does. so if this doesn't cost much more this might be a better way to go.

2 hours ago, sleet said:

I don't change phones often so I'm not really up on lease/easy pay details- I actually plan on keeping my phone but for others on the "Framily" plan would they be able to purchase this?

I'm assuming they'd have to pay the $4.99 / month for whatever the length of the lease is but then could they pay the buyout at the same time? So I'm not sure what that total cost would run but does anyone have any idea what that might cost?

I was going to suggest they get the Essential Phone that's going for $145 plus tax right now but that does't have HPUE and this does. so if this doesn't cost much more this might be a better way to go.

Well, they are giving you a discount on the price, eating most of the cost, charging you essentially $5 a month for 2 years for the phone. You can pay off your balance at any time (though you may have to call in or visit a store to do that). Your balance would be $120 (5x24). The lease is a technically a 18 month agreement, at month 18 you can either return the phone and upgrade, continue making monthly payments for 6 more months, or pay off the remaining amount and own the phone.

I have the G6 and while there's not a way to tell for sure, HPUE seems to make a difference to me, that or the G6 has really good B41 reception. 

Question for those that have the G6 for a while.

When you're on speaker phone how is the voice quality for those listening to you at the other end? My mom picked one up yesterday and on regular calls the sound is really good, but when she puts it in speaker mode it's really bad. I've asked her to change how she's holding the phone, set the phone down, slowly turn it while talking to see if it's a orientation problem but it's just all around bad. Practically unusable. It's just really muffled. It's almost as bad as it was when she had a defective lifeproof case on her S3.

I'm not sure if it's typical for the G6 or if she should take it back.

4 hours ago, sleet said:

Question for those that have the G6 for a while.

When you're on speaker phone how is the voice quality for those listening to you at the other end? My mom picked one up yesterday and on regular calls the sound is really good, but when she puts it in speaker mode it's really bad. I've asked her to change how she's holding the phone, set the phone down, slowly turn it while talking to see if it's a orientation problem but it's just all around bad. Practically unusable. It's just really muffled. It's almost as bad as it was when she had a defective lifeproof case on her S3.

I'm not sure if it's typical for the G6 or if she should take it back.

I've used speaker phone a couple of times, and haven't heard any complaints. My dad has a G6 too, though I'm not sure I've talked to him while he was using speaker phone. I know I've used speaker phone talking to him and he didn't say anything. He usually complains if the call doesn't sound good.

I use speaker phone all the time. I haven't heard anyone mention poor audio quality on their end except when I'm in a bad coverage area.

I got a software update notice yesterday to ZV9. It's still Android 7.0 but security patch date November 6th. The message only mentioned security updates but I noticed my signal bar is back to individual bars instead of a wedge. The update was around 500MB, I don't notice any other changes besides the security patch date and signal bar change.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

I'm really liking this phone so far.  Normally I'd be unhappy about the non-removable battery, but considering the $120 price at Best Buy, I can just replace the whole phone instead when the time comes.  (And I never replaced the battery in my G5 despite spending much more on it.)

One question though.  Ever since I got SCP installed, it's been in SRLTE.  My G5 would only do SRLTE in very weak signal areas, but it seems like the G6 has been in constant SRLTE.  Does this match the experience of others?  (I'm not complaining, just curious.)  I'm also seeing B41 more frequently at home than I used to.  I'll have to see how it is out and about at some point.  I'm assuming that's HPUE allowing it to maintain a B41 connection lower before the lack of uplink forces it to Band 25 or 26.

- Trip

• Like 2

I'm really liking this phone so far.  Normally I'd be unhappy about the non-removable battery, but considering the $120 price at Best Buy, I can just replace the whole phone instead when the time comes.  (And I never replaced the battery in my G5 despite spending much more on it.)

One question though.  Ever since I got SCP installed, it's been in SRLTE.  My G5 would only do SRLTE in very weak signal areas, but it seems like the G6 has been in constant SRLTE.  Does this match the experience of others?  (I'm not complaining, just curious.)  I'm also seeing B41 more frequently at home than I used to.  I'll have to see how it is out and about at some point.  I'm assuming that's HPUE allowing it to maintain a B41 connection lower before the lack of uplink forces it to Band 25 or 26.

- Trip
The Pixel 2 XL also does SRLTE all the time. The big downside seems to be that SMS always uses CDMA again instead of using IMS. So long messages will be split, incoming ones are out of order (and delayed a minute or 2 sometimes), and sending takes a while. Otherwise, I suspect incoming calls will be more reliable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

We probably should create a separate thread or write an article.  But, yes, many 2017 handsets operate continuously in SRLTE mode.  This may correlate with those handsets that require a new ISIM.

Edit:  I went ahead and started a new thread:

AJ

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ingenium said:

The Pixel 2 XL also does SRLTE all the time. The big downside seems to be that SMS always uses CDMA again instead of using IMS. So long messages will be split, incoming ones are out of order (and delayed a minute or 2 sometimes), and sending takes a while. Otherwise, I suspect incoming calls will be more reliable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My texts always got split or were out of order, even on devices that were sending over LTE. The speed at which I was getting texts would suggest to me that they were still being sent over LTE rather than 1x. This is on the G6 though.

Now that we have Calling Plus, texts definitely appear to be going over WiFi or LTE rather than 1x.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It looks like someone was able to port over the camera app from the Pixel.

I haven't read through the whole thread but from the sounds of it you basically can install this APK on your phone and then you open either the stock LG Camera App or this (modified) one from the Pixel.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g6/how-to/google-camera-hdr-ported-g6-t3655374

If you can get Pixel quality imaging from this lower cost phone that sounds like a win o me.

On 12/23/2017 at 2:55 PM, sleet said:

Looks like the best buy deal for $4.99 / month 24 month lease is live again.

So if anyone didn't get it around black friday you get another chance again.

Does anyone know of any deals on the G6 now? My brother has the HTC 10 but it is starting to give him issues and he wants to upgrade.

Does anyone know of any deals on the G6 now? My brother has the HTC 10 but it is starting to give him issues and he wants to upgrade.
Maybe Best buy $5/ month if it's still going on...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

No I gave the 2 I picked up away to others on the Framily plan I'm on. They went on sale again but the sale ended on Christmas day.

I've been checking daily since then but it went up to $9.99/month and now the $13.75/month price you already saw.

I'm hoping it'll drop back to the $125 price as I'm wishing I could still get one for myself but I don't follow pricing trends to know if it'll ever fall that low again or if it's just a pipe dream at this point.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, mreed112 said:

Sprint is FINALLY rolling out 8.0 Oreo on the G6.  Got mine this morning.

Finally is right! I was beginning to think we wouldn't see it. Hadn't heard it was on it's way out, glad to hear it's already rolling for some!