Google Pixel and Pixel XL by HTC Users Thread

WiWavelength

The pixel xl is definitely 3xCA capable on sprint?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Yes, just waiting on the software/profile update. It's the same modem as the Galaxy S7, same capabilities.

Sent from my Pixel XL

I am simply going by what was on our phones. AT&T B17 LTE. I do know that Sprint has no service out that way other than roaming. Sprint loses native coverage within 1 mile of leaving i15 at the i93 exit. The phone Indicated it was roaming/no service for the first 70 miles then switched to AT&T B17 LTE a few miles before Alamo, NV. I held AT&T LTE will the Extraterrestrial Highway sign where we stopped to eat lunch and take pictures. If I'm out that way again I'll snap some screenshots of SignalCheck Pro.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

badass pics!

any idea how the actual speeds were? the LTE logo was illuminated on your phone?

badass pics!

any idea how the actual speeds were? the LTE logo was illuminated on your phone?

LTE was illuminated. Did not do a speed test.

Thanks! Love my Z06, it's a good looker for pictures.

• Like 1

be interesting to know who is dragging their feet...... google or sprint :td:

According to an early post on Reddit, a user claimed 3xCA wasn't enabled for T-Mobile either (same situation as we are on Sprint, it was "supposed" to be enabled in this update). That's just one user and there may be newer reports of it working now. So who knows...

Sent from my Pixel XL

Out of curiosity, where exactly did yhis occur?

a few times along this route https://goo.gl/maps/9qiSNoWdVDG2 . forgot to mention I'm using a LG V20. Im in South Africa at the moment with Global Roaming on my account and in both airports I connected to B3 LTE. Seems like LTE roaming for Sprint has gotten more widespread. 

• Like 5

a few times along this route https://goo.gl/maps/9qiSNoWdVDG2 . forgot to mention I'm using a LG V20. Im in South Africa at the moment with Global Roaming on my account and in both airports I connected to B3 LTE. Seems like LTE roaming for Sprint has gotten more widespread.

Awesome. You should consider grabbing screenshots of your engineering screens and posting them in the Global Roaming/Open World thread. International LTE is big news!

• Like 4

What carrier is it roaming on? Engineering screenshots would be perfect! I was there last year and it was HSPA only. This would be big news if Sprint added international LTE roaming

what are speeds like? are they throttled to 3G?

UGH UGH UGH UGH :wall:

Open World is advertised as 3G speeds although I'm not really sure what that means. I think speeds were previously unthrottled because roaming was limited to 3G…it will be interesting to see what they do now that LTE roaming is active.

What carrier is it roaming on? Engineering screenshots would be perfect! I was there last year and it was HSPA only. This would be big news if Sprint added international LTE roaming

what are speeds like? are they throttled to 3G?

Open World is advertised as 3G speeds although I'm not really sure what that means. I think speeds were previously unthrottled because roaming was limited to 3G…it will be interesting to see what they do now that LTE roaming is active.

The carrier is MTN and in both Johannesburg and Cape Town Airports I received LTE. I have a very strong signal the whole time I believe there is a DAS in both airports. Once I left the airport in Cape town to head to our place I've been stuck on HSPA with 2G speeds. I had Open World enabled before a day before my trip but i decided it and put Global Roaming back on. I didn't want to spend $30/Gb.  While in both Airports the speeds seemed to be unthrottled on LTE. I don't know if that's because I had Open World on before but I did make sure to update my profile to make sure everything would be correct. It might also because MTN wants to offload all their data on to LTE because of capacity reasons. Phone calls pushed the phone to HSPA. My moms is also here with her Sprint iPhone 6 I added Open World on her line instead of Global Roaming so we can use facetime. At the airports she also had LTE but now she only has HSPA at 3G speeds

here the SCP screenshot https://goo.gl/photos/cpqGz2GCavvvHpFM7

• Like 5

The carrier is MTN and in both Johannesburg and Cape Town Airports ...

Thanks for taking time off of your travel to report this find! Greatly appreciated! Very interesting that Sprint is finally working on improving their roaming domestically and abroad. Good for them.

Next up, VoLTE!

• Like 1

In my experience 3G means unthrottled HSPA.

My guess is they'll just leave it unthrottled on LTE. You only get 1GB for free (sometimes), otherwise it's $30/GB. There's no incentive for them to throttle it.

It's actually probably cheaper roaming costs to be on LTE. The LTE networks in some countries aren't being fully utilized yet. Maybe not enough of the population has LTE capable phones. The HSPA networks are often overloaded. Some countries in Southeast Asia actually have two data buckets, one for LTE only and another smaller one that can be used on LTE, HSPA, or GSM.

It's actually probably cheaper roaming costs to be on LTE. The LTE networks in some countries aren't being fully utilized yet. Maybe not enough of the population has LTE capable phones. The HSPA networks are often overloaded. Some countries in Southeast Asia actually have two data buckets, one for LTE only and another smaller one that can be used on LTE, HSPA, or GSM.

That and I expect a lot of carriers want traffic off HSPA and GSM so they can refarm the spectrum for LTE, particularly now that VoLTE is becoming widespread.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm generally out and about a lot during the day for multiple hours and it would be nice to have 3x aggregation speeds especially after being with Sprint for over 10 years but I'm sadly considering switching solely due to this not working on their Network with the Pixel XL. I think it's Sprint upload speeds I hate the most. Some how depending on the area I manage to get .15 mbps - 3 mbps upload. Download speeds are on average 5mbps- 9mbps. I have an old unlimited plan as I do receive/send a lot of emails and data. I've been googling the issue but I haven't found many talking about the it and figured maybe a lot of people who have this phone don't have Sprint.

• Like 1

I'm generally out and about a lot during the day for multiple hours and it would be nice to have 3x aggregation speeds especially after being with Sprint for over 10 years but I'm sadly considering switching solely due to this not working on their Network with the Pixel XL. I think it's Sprint upload speeds I hate the most. Some how depending on the area I manage to get .15 mbps - 3 mbps upload. Download speeds are on average 5mbps- 9mbps. I have an old unlimited plan as I do receive/send a lot of emails and data. I've been googling the issue but I haven't found many talking about the it and figured maybe a lot of people who have this phone don't have Sprint.

You should be getting 2xCA, though. Are those speeds on band 41? Kinda slow for LTE Plus but perfectly usable. CA is on the downlink only, btw, so you're not going to get higher upload speeds with 3xCA.