Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Dying Embers Thread

SeanK_

Just an FYI. If you are coming from another Samsung phone and had enhanced messaging enabled, disable it on your old phone before activating a Note 7. Apparently the Note 7 does not have that feature for some reason.

I was sending texts to my mom from my Note 7 and I wasn't receiving anything back. I turned on my old phone (Note 5) and 4 messages came through over WiFi. For those who may not know, enhanced messages go over the data channel, so that's why they came through over WiFi.

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

Why did they remove that feature?

No issues on my first note 7 before recall, and no issues with the replacement

Note 7 is def a great device. Even though i dont like snapdragons.

Its an upgrade from my note 4, and i actually like it is water resistant: a grrat trade off from having removeable battery.

I feel like the incident from southwest airlines could an isolated problem but felt like something forced it to burst into flames

Are some of you still holding on to your Note 7, even with all this stuff going on, like that Southwest airlines article?

No issues on my first note 7 before recall, and no issues with the replacement

Note 7 is def a great device. Even though i dont like snapdragons.

Its an upgrade from my note 4, and i actually like it is water resistant: a grrat trade off from having removeable battery.

I feel like the incident from southwest airlines could an isolated problem but felt like something forced it to burst into flames

I'm interested to see what Samsung has to say about this phone once they exam it.

• Like 1

Its sad to watch this whole thing play out. This is probably one of the most feature packed and well made devices ever. Also comes at a time that Google has made questionable decisions on the Nexus front. 

I want to keep my Note 7, but I'm also worried about its support in for the near term, will it get all those fancy features turned on? (like 4x4 MIMO 256Qam, 3xCA) will we see Android 7 for it? Also its resale value is completely in the gutter. 

My device has been running really well and I am pretty happy with it in its current state. But its reputation is tainted beyond repair at this point.

I would probably consider the Pixel XL, but with no wireless charging, no IP67/68 and huge thin its not necessarily an upgrade. 

Curious to see what you guys have in mind?

Its sad to watch this whole thing play out. This is probably one of the most feature packed and well made devices ever. Also comes at a time that Google has made questionable decisions on the Nexus front.

I want to keep my Note 7, but I'm also worried about its support in for the near term, will it get all those fancy features turned on? (like 4x4 MIMO 256Qam, 3xCA) will we see Android 7 for it? Also its resale value is completely in the gutter.

My device has been running really well and I am pretty happy with it in its current state. But its reputation is tainted beyond repair at this point.

I would probably consider the Pixel XL, but with no wireless charging, no IP67/68 and huge thin its not necessarily an upgrade.

Galaxy S8. ???? I'm skipping the Pixels this time.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Galaxy S8. I'm skipping the Pixels this time.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Its funny, I was thinking the only thing that could probably salvage this situation for samsung would be free voucher upgrades towards the next gen device.

• Like 1

I still have a Note 7 unopen in a box. Debating about using it or selling it and getting the Pixel XL phone. I agree with you that the Note 7 name has gone to the gutter. If I use it and people ask what phone I have I won't ever stop hearing about them starting on fire or keep it away from my house, car, etc.

• Like 3

Get ready for a second and final recall.  The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 is toast -- literally.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/56ie0k/hardware_replaced_galaxy_note_7_explodes_in_taiwan/

AJ

• Like 1

Recall all note 7's and give the option for a different phone or a refund. Its a loss at this point imo, start fresh and better next year with better quality standards. This is sad i love Samsung but they really dropped the ball with this one sadly.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Just my opinion but it could be due to overheating snapdragon processor which they are known to be. And the excessive heat from the heat pipe near the battery that may cause the problems.

Could be anything

I hope samsung finds the culprit

Edited by sunmybun

Just my opinion but it could be due to overheating snapdragon processor which they are known to be. And the excessive heat from the heat pipe near the battery that may cause the problems.

Could be anything

I hope samsung finds the culprit

I remember from when I had my S7 for a day, that thing got uncomfortably hot when it was charging, almost to the point of scaring me. I took it back the next day and went back to my Note 5 with a exynos which never gets warm, I think the snapdragon is a lot to blame for all of this. Exynos is the way to go imo.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If it is the overheating snapdragon causing the issue, wouldn't that mean the processor is drawing excessive current even when idle. The battery life on the phones would be horrible.  Nobody is complaining about horrible battery life.

What sort of a fuse or similar component  is on these devices?  Could some component be shorting out and there is no protection to just shut the note 7 down. 

• Like 1

If it is the overheating snapdragon causing the issue, wouldn't that mean the processor is drawing excessive current even when idle. The battery life on the phones would be horrible. Nobody is complaining about horrible battery life.

What sort of a fuse or similar component is on these devices? Could some component be shorting out and there is no protection to just shut the note 7 down.

Could be that also

Just my speculation

For now my note 7 is alright

I will be going back to keeping a giant glass of water on my desk to immerse the Note 7 to stop a thermal cascade until this is sorted out.

Sent from my SM-N930P2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If the Note 7 ends up getting recalled again, I have a bit of a dilemma. If the S7 edge had 64GB of storage, I would gladly exchange my Note 7 for it. I really love having that much on device storage. My question is, if I just return my Note 7 to Sprint or Best Buy, will Sprint reset my contract to give me back my upgrade to use at a later date? I think I just may wait for the S8 edge at this point as long as my upgrade doesn't get lost. I'm guessing the S8 devices will also get 64GB of storage.

Edit: I still have my Note 5 to go back to if I have to send the Note 7 back, so I have a good back up phone, if need be.

If the Note 7 ends up getting recalled again, I have a bit of a dilemma. If the S7 edge had 64GB of storage, I would gladly exchange my Note 7 for it. I really love having that much on device storage. My question is, if I just return my Note 7 to Sprint or Best Buy, will Sprint reset my contract to give me back my upgrade to use at a later date? I think I just may wait for the S8 edge at this point as long as my upgrade doesn't get lost. I'm guessing the S8 devices will also get 64GB of storage.

Edit: I still have my Note 5 to go back to if I have to send the Note 7 back, so I have a good back up phone, if need be.

Samsung has announced that they are permanently halting production and sales of the Note 7, this device is literally toast