Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Dying Embers Thread

SeanK_

The smart choice is to get rid of the Note 7 as soon as it is feasible. Meanwhile, don't charge while you are sleeping. Using a standard charger may reduce your risks. If your phone gets warm while charging, you should get it exchanged or return it ASAP.

I wonder what would happen if someone who owns a Note 7 decided not to return their Note 7, and it explodes while charging, just as the recall is set to prevent from happening by having these potentially dangerous devices returned to Samsung. The Note 7 explodes while charging in a shared dwelling building, like an apartment or condominium, or even perhaps a hotel. The fire spreads, damaging the property, injuring/killing other people.

Hopefully this won't happen, but if it does, who is responsible? Samsung has issued a recall, so they've taken necessary measures, yet its still their product. The owner isn't at fault for making the device and causing the device to explode, yet they knew about the recall but didn't return the device. If the person is leasing it from the carrier instead of owning it outright, could the carrier be responsible for the official ownership. I'm thinking in terms of potential lawsuits.

The owner should be liable as much as Samsung. I suspect Samsung should mandate the recall to put this foolishness to bed. I respect Samsung for the recall when a lot of companies would hide behind legalese. I'd respect them more if they escalated the recall to mandatory status.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Then you still have owners of the Note 7, refusing to return theirs as if nothing will happen, from the many comments I've read. It's like me driving my car with braking system recalls, but since I enjoy the car so much, I'll continue driving it assuming nothing will happen on the road.

Then you still have owners of the Note 7, refusing to return theirs as if nothing will happen, from the many comments I've read. It's like me driving my car with braking system recalls, but since I enjoy the car so much, I'll continue driving it assuming nothing will happen on the road.

These people are idiots. Enough said.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Who would use a charger that didn't come with the phone? Yeah I get it you can buy cables for cheap but why?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Because I have chargers spread through out the house and all of our cars and in the office at work

• Like 1

This could give credence to the whole Note 7 4x4 idea, although this is for the S7 only right now.

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/lte-advanced.htm

Probably didn't want to include it since the phone is currently not for sale. It's the same SOC, so if it's true that the S7 can do 4x4 capable then so is the Note 7.

I wonder what would happen if someone who owns a Note 7 decided not to return their Note 7, and it explodes while charging, just as the recall is set to prevent from happening by having these potentially dangerous devices returned to Samsung. The Note 7 explodes while charging in a shared dwelling building, like an apartment or condominium, or even perhaps a hotel. The fire spreads, damaging the property, injuring/killing other people.

Hopefully this won't happen, but if it does, who is responsible? Samsung has issued a recall, so they've taken necessary measures, yet its still their product. The owner isn't at fault for making the device and causing the device to explode, yet they knew about the recall but didn't return the device. If the person is leasing it from the carrier instead of owning it outright, could the carrier be responsible for the official ownership. I'm thinking in terms of potential lawsuits.

Choosing to ignore a recall puts the ownership on the end customer. Every Sprint customer will be getting a text message related to the recall. 

• Like 1

Probably didn't want to include it since the phone is currently not for sale. It's the same SOC, so if it's true that the S7 can do 4x4 capable then so is the Note 7.

No.  The SoC, which contains the baseband modem, is not the end all, be all determining factor for certain RF capabilities.  Other pieces have to fall into place as well.  That a baseband supports a certain RF capability assures nothing in terms of actual implementation.

AJ

Should have just stuck with the battery from the S7 Edge, more capacity and no fires.

Very true, also wouldn't have caused people to question the decision to lower the mah rating down 100, especially on a device that is .2 inches larger and has a much brighter display for mobile HDR.

The other thing I wonder is why this issue is with the Samsung battery, not the other company Samsung uses for the Note 7 battery. With all that Samsung is doing in business, they should have their battery division in order, particularly in time for such a major product offering as the Note line.

When will the replacement Note 7 arrive at Sprint and other carriers to sell?

I keep hearing couple weeks, but no one really knows. Also I think there have been two, or three reported Note 7 exploding in the US so far.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

My hope is that any replacement Note 7s are labeled differently: Note 7a, Note 7.2 are just two of many possible choices. Otherwise you might always be treated like a bombing suspect if you carry a Note 7.

• Like 1

My hope is that any replacement Note 7s are labeled differently: Note 7a, Note 7.2 are just two of many possible choices. Otherwise you might always be treated like a bombing suspect if you carry a Note 7.

Lmao that is true!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

My hope is that any replacement note 7s are labeled differently: Note 7a, Note 7.2 are just two of many possible choices. Otherwise you might always be treated like a bombing suspect.

From what I read, the box will have a blue circle with an S next to ESN info and looks like we'll also have a website or app which you can enter your ESN to check if it's the original or the updated version.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If you can't quickly prove that it is not a note 7 with battery issues, it may not be worth owning. Thinking of airport security, friends, etc.

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

Because this is such a volatile situation, the replacement models are being released slowly in three separate batches to extinguish any further media firestorm.  The three replacement model numbers will be Samsung Galaxy Note 7i/e/d.

AJ

• Like 6

I'd be nervous getting a replacement model from Samsung at this point. After losing a lot of money in this recall, I wouldn't count on the quality being the same with the rest of the device. In my opinion, Samsung should have recalled the Note 7 and offered either a refund or a replacement of another Galaxy device, while cancelling the Note 7 altogether.

I say no. I still want the Note 7 regardless if it's being recalled. I enjoy using the phone. Stuff get recalled all the time, just like cars with the recent airbags. Should we cancel cars all together then too?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 2