Apple iPad Mini as a child's device

Azimuth

So I've almost crossed this bridge several times but always stop short. Last time I heard rumors of the Mini going end-of-line. That doesn't seem to be true anymore with yet another new model set to be announced next month. (Mini 5?)

My 3-year old loves using his mom's iPad (and mine for that matter). His mom's is an older (but serviceable) iPad 4 but it's rather heavy. I'm wondering if an iPad Mini isn't just the "right" device for those little hands...

Of course it would still need to serve Pinterest, YouTube and e-mail duty for mom. My son primary uses the YouTube Kids app and the Videos app for a half-dozen iTunes movies favorites.

We are not iPhone Plus users so the phablet debate doesn't apply...

Anyone had similar ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I feel like a bad dad, but my 4-year old has an iPad mini and she can navigate it great.  I setup a family account with Apple and set their signon as a child.  You can then approve/deny apps they try to download from your iPhone/iPad.

Highly recommend this case too -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FI9OCC0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

Both of our boys have one.  4 and 5 years old.  

Both have Shockdrop cases, and we have had no problems with damage from rough play or milk/apple juice spills.

Like @kineticman, we also use a family account with apple.  Same thing, they cant make purchases, and anything they want to download has to be approved by my wife or I on our devices.  In addition, we refuse to give the kids their apple ID passwords.

Its a fine line to walk, but in the end, I have no problems with it.  Our 5 year old normally loves to watch 'How its made' videos on youtube. and our 4 year old watches Mario Kart videos.  :)  Limit the time, and the kids will do fine. 

• Like 1

I'm also set up with a family account and registered an email address for my boy as soon as Apple allowed it (A-men to that).

I haven't seen that Apple market the Mini for kids but the more I think about it, it's a device for kids. Those small hands...

Now to just buy one...at the same cost as the Air 2! :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We got Kindle Kids edition for our kids last Christmas (they were 7/5/3 at the time).  Its a regular Kindle, but with a great padded case and the bonus is a year of Amazon Free Time, tons of free games and Apps.  On top of that, two year, no questions asked warranty (as long as its in the case.)  Has an SD card slot too for expanded storage.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-Kids-Edition-7-Inch-Tablet-8GB/dp/B00YYZEQ1G

Looking back I wish I had gotten the 16gb rather than the 8GB, but you live and learn.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Today I finally got a Mini. I sold my Air 2 earlier this week as I stopped using it altogether and sold my wife's iPad 4 today (a declutter exercise but that's a different story).

In place of the 9.7" I got the family's first 8" iPad. I opted not to go for the big daddy iPad Mini 4 but instead got a more modest Mini 2.

The Mini 2 had a massive saving over the Mini 4 but didn't have a 64GB option being an EOL device. I decided that that was OK and we'd make it work. Space Gray was the colour choice of the day!

The new Mini immediately went into a Griffin Survivor All-Terrain case for the necessary kiddy protection. My son was soon swinging it around with one hand and quite OK with it...I think it'll prove a good choice in years to come!

aaec96ebf2a8d44eaa481de7b0dab518.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today I finally got a Mini. I sold my Air 2 earlier this week as I stopped using it altogether and sold my wife's iPad 4 today (a declutter exercise but that's a different story).

In place of the 9.7" I got the family's first 8" iPad. I opted not to go for the big daddy iPad Mini 4 but instead got a more modest Mini 2.

The Mini 2 had a massive saving over the Mini 4 but didn't have a 64GB option being an EOL device. I decided that that was OK and we'd make it work. Space Gray was the colour choice of the day!

The new Mini immediately went into a Griffin Survivor All-Terrain case for the necessary kiddy protection. My son was soon swinging it around with one hand and quite OK with it...I think it'll prove a good choice in years to come!

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the iPad Mini 2?  I see that Best Buy had the iPad Mini 4 (64GB) Sprint model for $379, but they went out of stock this afternoon.

At the current U.S. exchange rate, the equivalent of $561. (Sounds expensive, I know)

A Mini 4 64GB Wi-Fi + Cellular would have cost me $791 so stuck to the Mini 2. I was also keen to stick to the old Home button as my boy already "broke" the TouchID button on my iPhone.

• Like 1