Nrbelex

Pixel and Pixel XL Preview (was "Fall 2016 Nexus | HTC Sailfish, Marlin Rumors")

When did you buy it and how long is your price protection period? Looks to me like the drop was $30 in January (with that phone being launched at the same time last year): http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/01/12/deal-alert-google-drops-the-nexus-5x-price-to-349-for-16gb-399-for-32gb-in-the-us-google-store-30-off/

I answered all of that in my previous post.  And I checked my archived e-mail from December last year to confirm that I did receive an $80 price protection credit.

AJ

I don't know (regarding bootloader), neither device is being marketed for development.

I hope they continue with the nexus style unlockable bootloader, but I'm not going to assume that it will be.

If they have a 'nexus' tablet in the pipeline, they may relegate 'development' openness to that device.

Even if they make it unlockable, secure boot has made using alternate Android installs too much of a pain for me to bother with anymore.

I waited for several price drops before I bought my Nexus 5X.

I answered all of that in my previous post.  And I checked my archived e-mail from December last year to confirm that I did receive an $80 price protection credit.

AJ

The key question, not answered in what you wrote, is the duration of your price protection policy. For instance, Citi Price Rewind works for 60 days. You'll be charged as the phone ships--around 10/20. That means you'll only get a credit with that policy if a price drop occurs by December 19, 2016. Last year's price drop occurred around 1/12/16, so it would be outside the rewind range if the charge occured on the same date last year.

(Why you got a credit when the price drop didn't occur until January is a bit of a mystery).

I don't know (regarding bootloader), neither device is being marketed for development.

I hope they continue with the nexus style unlockable bootloader, but I'm not going to assume that it will be.

If they have a 'nexus' tablet in the pipeline, they may relegate 'development' openness to that device.

Unlocked versions from Google will more than likely have unlockable bootloaders. Only the Verizon sold ones will have locked bootloaders.

There are no more Nexus devices planned

https://twitter.com/googlenexus/status/783374887050240000

Even if they make it unlockable, secure boot has made using alternate Android installs too much of a pain for me to bother with anymore.

I waited for several price drops before I bought my Nexus 5X.

Secure Boot (actually called Verified Boot) is only a problem when the bootloader is locked. Unlocked devices just show a warning message on startup.

Being unlocked, is there still the ability to add sprint zone and use WiFi calling? - thinking about getting one for mi madre.

I'm also pumped for that set of 3 WiFi disks...lots of dead spots in my new house.

Being unlocked, is there still the ability to add sprint zone and use WiFi calling? - thinking about getting one for mi madre.

I'm also pumped for that set of 3 WiFi disks...lots of dead spots in my new house.

According to Guenther, Sprint is working on making Sprint Zone available on the Play Store

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/52fvz7/ama_hi_im_guenther/d83cn1i?context=1

• Like 4

The key question, not answered in what you wrote, is the duration of your price protection policy. For instance, Citi Price Rewind works for 60 days. You'll be charged as the phone ships--around 10/20. That means you'll only get a credit with that policy if a price drop occurs by December 19, 2016. Last year's price drop occurred around 1/12/16, so it would be outside the rewind range if the charge occured on the same date last year.

(Why you got a credit when the price drop didn't occur until January is a bit of a mystery).

You may need to improve your inference skills.  From the dates that I provided, you can infer factually that the sale price occurred before January 2016 and that my credit card price protection benefit exceeds 30 days.

AJ

You may need to improve your inference skills.  From the dates that I provided, you can infer factually that the sale price occurred before January 2016 and that my credit card price protection benefit exceeds 30 days.

AJ

The 5X launched on 9/29/15. (http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/29/the-nexus-5x-is-official-snapdragon-808-usb-type-c-and-nexus-imprint-fingerprint-sensor/)

The phone shipped around 10/19/15. (http://www.droid-life.com/2015/10/19/for-those-who-ordered-a-nexus-5x-your-phone-is-shipping-today/). You stated you preordered. (I will grant I'm assuming your preorder led to the standard shipping date.) Preorders are charged as they ship.

The date of the first official price drop was January 12, 2016. This is easily verifiable (take your pick: http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/01/12/deal-alert-google-drops-the-nexus-5x-price-to-349-for-16gb-399-for-32gb-in-the-us-google-store-30-off/ http://www.droid-life.com/2016/01/12/nexus-5x-is-now/ http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/13/10760094/google-nexus-5x-price-cut-349). The price drop was $30.

The number of days between those two dates is 85. For a person to have received a credit, his or her protection plan must have been at least 85 days. Anything less was insufficient. Some plans last 60 days (see the Citi plan referenced above). Some last 90 (see this Discover plan: https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/member-benefits/price-protection.html?icmpgn=publichelpcenter).

Even if a protection plan lasted 90 days, the credit should have been $30.

Anyone planning to take the advice to rely on a price protection plan when placing a preorder shipping 10/20 should be aware that, if there is a price drop which follows previous patterns (already unlikely given the upmarket shift), a 60 day plan is unlikely to help. Even a 90 day plan historically would have only returned you $30.

Hmmph. Rather underwhelmed. I was hoping for something that looks less like an iPhone and more like an M7. Oh well. I still like my 5X anyway.

Hey guys.... I made this little table comparing the supported LTE bands for the latest set of unlocked phones including iPhone 6S, 7, HTC 10, Nexus 7P and Pixel XL.

You can see how Pixel XL picks up bands from Nexus 6P and HTC 10.  iPhones are still king by supporting 6 more bands.

I've also highlighted bands used by US carriers (as I was showing this to a friend).

LTE Bands of latest phones

• Like 2

Interesting that is supports B25 CA. I don't think sprint has any plans for that?

Interesting that is supports B25 CA. I don't think sprint has any plans for that?

It's on the road-map. Perhaps sooner than later?

• Like 2

While the phone is compatible with Sprint because of Google Fi, will Sprint whitelist it for use as a Sprint customer?

Yes.

Just grab a BYOD sim card or alternatively..

CZ2144LWC

CZ4114LWC

CZ410PLWC

I'd suggest getting the sim at best buy. I had better luck there on first try than at multiple sprint stores.

Yes.

Just grab a BYOD sim card or alternatively..

CZ2144LWC

CZ4114LWC

CZ410PLWC

Second B25 channel is already up all around San Francisco. Can CA be turned on without further tower visits?

It's on the road-map. Perhaps sooner than later?

Second B25 channel is already up all around San Francisco. Can CA be turned on without further tower visits?

It should be software updates, which can be done remotely.

I'd suggest getting the sim at best buy. I had better luck there on first try than at multiple sprint stores.

Keep in mind that users with another handset released in the past 18 months already may have a compatible UICC CSIM that can be swapped online to a Pixel handset.

AJ

• Like 2

Does this phone support all Sprint bands and CA?

Debating on using my upgrade for an iPhone 7+ and selling it and my N6P to get this phone. I have been sitting on an upgrade for over a year now (yes my older plan still allows upgrades).

What do you guys think??? Worth it?

Debating on using my upgrade for an iPhone 7+ and selling it and my N6P to get this phone. I have been sitting on an upgrade for over a year now (yes my older plan still allows upgrades).

What do you guys think??? Worth it?

I might do this, esp if vZW retail exclusivity is permanent

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I might do this, esp if vZW retail exclusivity is permanent

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'd probably keep the N6P since I probably can't get that much for it and it's a great device.

I'm disappointed that it isn't sold through other carriers at its price point even though I know historically Nexus devices didn't well well through the carriers.