Pixel and Pixel XL Preview (was "Fall 2016 Nexus | HTC Sailfish, Marlin Rumors")

Nrbelex

Huh, I just realized the rumors are a Late August/Early September release for Android N, that means a new device in that window too, I was thinking we were waiting until October.  Any idea why the typical timeline was changed?

What a piece of junk that phone was, my buddy had one, bleh!

Piece of junk? I mean, if you compare it against today's phones sure. But when it came it, it was freakin great. LTE connectivity left a little to be desired, but in a city with good coverage things weren't bad at all. 

• Like 2

Piece of junk? I mean, if you compare it against today's phones sure. But when it came it, it was freakin great. LTE connectivity left a little to be desired, but in a city with good coverage things weren't bad at all.

Yup, we were in a market with less than stellar coverage, now it wouldn't be so bad. But when it was a flagship, it was bunk

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Yup, we were in a market with less than stellar coverage, now it wouldn't be so bad. But when it was a flagship, it was bunk

If LTE connectivity is the only thing you're basing that statement on, I can see your point to some degree. However, that's not the only measuring point. Everything else about it was great. 

If LTE connectivity is the only thing you're basing that statement on, I can see your point to some degree. However, that's not the only measuring point. Everything else about it was great.

3g was so bad at that time, only LTE made the network usable.

Still, that's a reflection of the network, not the device.

Absolutely true. My Evo 3D was a superb phone. It was smooth and never slowed down after years of use unlike some other phones (cough, cough Samsung). It's probably the only phone I've truly enjoyed using with apps. The Sense interface was welcoming unlike TouchWiz.

Unfortunately, it was useless on the network side of things as it dropped EVDO faster than the iPhone. Side to side, an iPhone 4s could stream a constant 32 kbps stream driving around town on 3G while the Evo suffered from constant buffering and timeouts (initial buffer time was about the same). It's the only phone I have loved and hated at the same time.

Still, that's a reflection of the network, not the device.

I disagree, if the radio/antenna setup is so bad that it can't use the fledgling network, then the device isn't good. These are phones first and foremost, forcing WiFi use just makes it a handheld PC.

• Like 1

I'm really really really hoping HTC doesn't make down facing speakers for either models. I don't know why they would move away from that design... Personally, that's a make or break, I'm sure others feel differently.

I have heard the HTC 10 in person and the dual amp high/low setup is not as bad as you would think, the front speaker does the highs and the bottom one does the lows.

Nah, the evo lte was a great device with the only issue being that it had lte connectivity issues.  If the evo lte had better lte performance I would probably put it second to the m7 as the best htc device ever made.

• Like 4

I have heard the HTC 10 in person and the dual amp high/low setup is not as bad as you would think, the front speaker does the highs and the bottom one does the lows.

Sorry but htc should have stayed with the front facing speakers.  As far as sound quality though the 10 is still one of the best if not the best in over all fidelity but its no where near as loud as previous htc devices or recent flagships from the competition.

• Like 3

Yea, I've read the same but haven't tested it myself. Just logically, facing the ears would be better as opposed to away... As themuffinman mentioned, it's not as loud.

Personally, if I'm using the speakers I want them loud as I would be most likely sharing a video or song with someone. If not, I would just use headphones. My opinion is the speakers should face the same as the viewing direction of the screen.

Just sharing my thoughts, others will differ.

• Like 1

Understandable, however louder does not equate to better, I'd prefer better to louder and it's still better than any other phone I've heard, quality wise. And if that's the price of a smaller chin and "shorter" device I can live with it the M7/8/9 were to big for "regular" phones not everyone wants a phablet.

Understandable, however louder does not equate to better, I'd prefer better to louder and it's still better than any other phone I've heard, quality wise. And if that's the price of a smaller chin and "shorter" device I can live with it the M7/8/9 were to big for "regular" phones not everyone wants a phablet.

Most of us will agree that the 10 has the best quality speakers out of all the flagships right now but the other flagships have closed the gap so much that the difference in sound quality may not be as important as the diference in loudness. Also, there are other flagships that have front facing speakers with a better screen to body ratio than the m7/8/9 so there is no excuse for htc not being able to refine their design while keeping the front facing speakers.

Most of us will agree that the 10 has the best quality speakers out of all the flagships right now but the other flagships have closed the gap so much that the difference in sound quality may not be as important as the diference in loudness. Also, there are other flagships that have front facing speakers with a better screen to body ratio than the m7/8/9 so there is no excuse for htc not being able to refine their design while keeping the front facing speakers.

I don't disagree, it would have been smarter for HTC to relocate the finger scanner to the back, I would imagine they could have kept the low end speaker on the front grill for a "fuller" sound.

3g was so bad at that time, only LTE made the network usable.

You are describing a network issue and not a phone quality issue.

I had one, too (because I buy everything HTC manufactures lol). Wanted to love it so badly. Just was a terrible phone.

You are describing a network issue and not a phone quality issue.

I'm describing both, the phone had terrible reception, so it couldn't connect to LTE reliably.  This could have been a radio or antenna or amp, or anything.  It connected to 3g fine, but the network was so bad, the device was unusable.

I'm describing both, the phone had terrible reception, so it couldn't connect to LTE reliably.  This could have been a radio or antenna or amp, or anything.  It connected to 3g fine, but the network was so bad, the device was unusable.

I figured it was some sort of hardware flaw because there were lots of updates pushed to the evo lte that never really addressed the problem.  But other than that one issue, which was obviously a big issue, the evo lte was a beast phone at that time.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So the latest rumors on the Marlin and Sailfish...

Marlin to be all metal body and named Nexus M1, Snapdragon 821 processor

Sailfish to be plastic body and named Nexus S1, Snapdragon 820 processor

Both have 4GB of RAM

S1 to be in the $350 and up price range

So the latest rumors on the Marlin and Sailfish...

Marlin to be all metal body and named Nexus M1, Snapdragon 821 processor

Sailfish to be plastic body and named Nexus S1, Snapdragon 820 processor

Both have 4GB of RAM

S1 to be in the $350 and up price range

The rumor regarding body materials came from a totally unproven site. No real reason to believe that given Android Police's track record and statement that "As far as we know, these phones are aluminum body, not polycarbonate." (Emphasis in original).

Also, nowhere have I read the phones will have different processors.

As for price, if the price is proportionate with the quality, I don't mind paying a little more.

Edited by Nrbelex