Two Sites supposedly live with CDMA 800 in Rural Chicago Market

S4GRU

ATTENTION S4GRU MEMBERS! WE HAVE A LIVE ONE...err, two!

I was going through my latest list of live NV sites, and I came across two sites labeled with CDMA 800. All the NV completed sites to date have been labeled CDMA 1900 or LTE 1900. Does this mean that the 1xAdvanced carrier is active on Channel 476 on these two sites? It looks like it!

If you are in the Chicago area, have a 800 SMR capable device and have the skills to install our 800 CDMA PRL, then please drive out to the Rochelle/De Kalb area and try to connect to these 800MHz CDMA sites on Channel 476. This is some crazy exciting stuff for the wireless nerd!

If you are going to give it a try, let me know before you head out there. The suspense is killing me. See the map of the site locations in question below.

Robert

gallery_1_1_83728.jpgClick Map to Enlarge

• Like 7

I live in Yorkville and my dad lives in Waterman. I can test but Im not sure what device is required. I have a Epic Touch and OG Epic. I have installed custom prl's on the touch a few times, but Im unsure It either of these devices are able to get on 800. Let me know If I can and I will post my results when I can get out by Waterman. Also in Yorkville we have been having many dropped calls, duplicate/late text, time changing to a hour ahead. Do you know what is going on in my area this last month? I know they have lost quite a few costumers because of this. Is you list of live NV sites public? If so where can I view this at?

Thought someone in LA already connected his EVO3d to an 800 1xa carrier?

We did get a report. Was likely testing, since these two sites are the first ones to show live in the Sprint system.

Interesting, i thought they couldn't deploy 800 if iDEN was active, and that is definitely in iDEN area.

Sort of. They cannot deploy 800 CDMA on Channel 476 until enough iDEN channels have been cleared out of the way for it to be used. It appears that Sprint is removing some iDEN carriers this year, just enough to deploy 800 CDMA on Channel 476 in most markets. This will substantially improve voice coverage in advance of full iDEN decommissioning.

Im in Maryland and I connected to a nv site and using the test prl I was on channel 476. is this 800 mhz?

Please post a screen shot of your Debug screen the next time you connect. Would love to see some verification of 800 CDMA live in your area. Thanks!

Robert

• Like 1

Will the Galaxy Nexus be able to use 800 CDMA?

Yes. Once the PRL is updated in the future to run on it. Or you download ours.

Robert

Sort of. They cannot deploy 800 CDMA on Channel 476 until enough iDEN channels have been cleared out of the way for it to be used. It appears that Sprint is removing some iDEN carriers this year, just enough to deploy 800 CDMA on Channel 476 in most markets. This will substantially improve voice coverage in advance of full iDEN decommissioning.

Robert

If there any plan that lists where this will be done, or do we just have to wait for them to complete the sites?

If there any plan that lists where this will be done, or do we just have to wait for them to complete the sites?

I'm in waiting mode. I have not seen any plans of this occurring, only evidence of it.

Robert

So it should be available in the next 12 months, or so?

Sooner. I believe they will push a PRL that will run on 800 CDMA in the near future.

Robert

##DEBUG# in your phone dialer. Does not work with some custom ROMs, like anything from Cyanogen. Most devices, you will need your MSL #.

Robert

##DEBUG# in your phone dialer. Does not work with some custom ROMs, like anything from Cyanogen. Most devices, you will need your MSL #.

Robert

Thanks.

We did get a report. Was likely testing, since these two sites are the first ones to show live in the Sprint system.

Please post a screen shot of your Debug screen the next time you connect. Would love to see some verification of 800 CDMA live in your area. Thanks!

Robert

I have a screen shot.

gallery_1_1_17694.jpg

• Like 1

I have a screen shot.

Thanks for the screenshot. Of note, it is coming up SID 22429, which is allocated to Idaho/Utah/Western Wyoming. It should be 22435, according to this. It looks like Sprint has made some modifications to the SID list. Or maybe there is an error in the programming of the carrier? Cool stuff.

Robert

I have a screen shot.

gallery_1_1_17694.jpg

SO 33 is 1xRTT-- your phone must not support RC11/RC8 (1xAdvanced). At least it should work fine. I'm a little disappointed with the -84 dBm signal... you're either a good 2 miles from that tower or there's alot of downtilt (as I would expect in a dense urban environment). In Maryland, your SID should be 22435. Locking onto the SID you have, I would expect your 3G (EVDO) to be lost since I'm sure the ACQ records don't match! I can remod the PRL to use the 22429 SID in your area with its native EV carriers. 22429 should be Salt Lake City market.

• Like 2

SO 33 is 1xRTT-- your phone must not support RC11/RC8 (1xAdvanced). At least it should work fine. I'm a little disappointed with the -84 dBm signal... you're either a good 2 miles from that tower or there's alot of downtilt (as I would expect in a dense urban environment).

I would not worry about that -84 dBm RSSI. But look at that -3.0 dB Ec/Io. That is stellar -- no doubt, a completely unloaded carrier. Even with a strong signal, typical Ec/Io in a moderately loaded cell is roughly -7 dB.

AJ