HTC 10 User Thread

WiWavelength

Sprint's been in their A game with the radio optimizing on their newest flagships. After playing around with my HTC 10 unlocked on T-Mobile, it looks like it could be better. Around 5-6dBm weaker on LTE B4 than a GS7. No idea how well Verizon's functions.

Just curious, which HTC 10 variant is that?  The Sprint variant?  Aside from the iPhone, my FCC OET experience shows that tested RF for most operator variants skews a bit toward that operator.  Thus, a Sprint variant unlocked that supports band 4 LTE for CCA/RRPP compatibility might not be optimized for use on T-Mobile.

AJ

And I hate to say it, but now I am getting intrigued by the HTC 10.

I already have the HTC One M7, Nexus 5, Nexus 5X, and 2015 Moto X at my perusal -- the latter three all are SIM unlocked and can be put on my Sprint postpaid main line or my AT&T or T-Mobile prepaid secondary lines.  Plus, I have the 2014 Moto X on Republic Wireless, thus running on the Sprint network.  I gotta lot of phones.  But I have not had an HTC handset since 2013.

Should I add to my stash?

AJ

• Like 4

I already have the HTC One M7, Nexus 5, Nexus 5X, and 2015 Moto X at my perusal -- the latter three all are SIM unlocked and can be put on my Sprint postpaid main line or my AT&T or T-Mobile prepaid secondary lines. Plus, I have the 2014 Moto X on Republic Wireless, thus running on the Sprint network. I gotta lot of phones. But I have not had an HTC handset since 2013.

AJ

Yes you should. All the cool kids have it. Chicks dig it.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Just curious, which HTC 10 variant is that?  The Sprint variant?  Aside from the iPhone, my FCC OET experience shows that tested RF for most operator variants skews a bit toward that operator.  Thus, a Sprint variant unlocked that supports band 4 LTE for CCA/RRPP compatibility might not be optimized for use on T-Mobile.

AJ

I wonder to what extent is it optimized? 

Yes you should. All the cool kids have it. Chicks did it.

Chicks "did" the HTC 10?  Man, that must be one sexy, baller handset.

;)

AJ

• Like 1

I wonder to what extent is it optimized? 

We have not run an article on The Wall.  I even have not looked at the FCC OET tested figures for the Sprint variant.

Maybe we will soon.  But someone other than me probably will have to do it.  I do not have the time nor energy right now.

AJ

I already have the HTC One M7, Nexus 5, Nexus 5X, and 2015 Moto X at my perusal -- the latter three all are SIM unlocked and can be put on my Sprint postpaid main line or my AT&T or T-Mobile prepaid secondary lines.  Plus, I have the 2014 Moto X on Republic Wireless, thus running on the Sprint network.  I gotta lot of phones.  But I have not had an HTC handset since 2013.

AJ

The HTC 10 is definitely a phone that does everything very well so I vote yes. I don't think you'll be disappointed... unless you want to go swimming with the phone.

We have not run an article on The Wall.  I even have not looked at the FCC OET tested figures for the Sprint variant.

Maybe we will soon.  But someone other than me probably will have to do it.  I do not have the time nor energy right now.

AJ

I was referring to the concept of optimization in general, in this day and age of universal devices.

Today was my first "real" day of usage, meaning not playing around, etc. I left work at 70%! Pretty good by my standards! Right now I have 33% remaining and have been using it pretty heavily since leaving work at 3:30. (I'm a teacher and only have certain times where I can use my phone during the day).

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Is it just after waking up? It turns the Wi-Fi off to save battery power.

No, I'll be using it say with twitter and randomly while browsing it hangs and everything stops loading.  It bounces between my 2.4 and 5GHz signals.

Today was my first "real" day of usage, meaning not playing around, etc. I left work at 70%! Pretty good by my standards! Right now I have 33% remaining and have been using it pretty heavily since leaving work at 3:30. (I'm a teacher and only have certain times where I can use my phone during the day).

I took mine off the charger at 7am, used it like i normally do, a little twitter, internet, Clash of clans and my gym app.  12 hours later and I'm at 57%.  MUCH better than my dying M8.

I think you can choose to only use 2.4 or 5 GHz and not go back and forth.

I just noticed this and can't stop looking at it ... the clock in the status bar doesn't show AM or PM! Obviously I know what it is, but it's weird!

AJ

Honestly, its a fantastic device.  HTC made sure to check on all the required boxes this round.  Just wished they had a version with a slightly larger screen and also have wireless charging.

• Like 3

Strange. Wi-Fi calling is missing, but the odd required sticker is in the box...

674f451805614a2d35426f5fffdf555a.jpg

Maybe it'll come in an update? TBH since 1x800 came on at my house I can even make calls in the basement. The few times I did try wifi calling there was an odd echo/delay. But maybe it was my DSL. But a voice channel is something like 64 kbps so that shouldn't be an issue.

Wireless charging means no aluminum body, doubt HTC would give that up.

Uhhh, not necessarily. Qualcomm came up with a solution last year that will allow smartphones with a metal exterior to be able to support wireless charging.

• Like 1

Uhhh, not necessarily. Qualcomm came up with a solution last year that will allow smartphones with a metal exterior to be able to support wireless charging.

I'll believe it when it's actually implemented in a mass-produced handset. Rezence has been around since 2013. Snapdragon 810 and 820 supported WiPower. Yet so far the only Rezence-certified handset is a Qualcomm demo phone. I highly doubt there will be a version of HTC 10 with wireless charging.

I'll believe it when it's actually implemented in a mass-produced handset. Rezence has been around since 2013. Snapdragon 810 and 820 supported WiPower. Yet so far the only Rezence-certified handset is a Qualcomm demo phone. I highly doubt there will be a version of HTC 10 with wireless charging.

I never implied there will be a version of the 10 with wireless charging, I am just saying that the technology is readily available and htc could have implemented it. HTC is a company with a lof of "first's" when it comes to the smartphone industry, this could have been something else added to their list.

I just noticed the noise when the brightness is turned down. That's bizarre! What causes that? As soon as the screen turns off, it stops.

Supposedly a kernel issue that is either fixed or at least mitigated in the US unlocked 1.53 OTA, so just have to wait until Sprint releases it and see it it gets better.

I never implied there will be a version of the 10 with wireless charging, I am just saying that the technology is readily available and htc could have implemented it. HTC is a company with a lof of "first's" when it comes to the smartphone industry, this could have been something else added to their list.

Fair enough, it would be great if it happens, but again, I'm not holding my breath given HTC's financial situation, etc.

Supposedly a kernel issue that is either fixed or at least mitigated in the US unlocked 1.53 OTA, so just have to wait until Sprint releases it and see it it gets better.

Fair enough, it would be great if it happens, but again, I'm not holding my breath given HTC's financial situation, etc.

Yes, I read about that on XDA. Looks like we'll be waiting a while with the speed with which Sprint does updates!

I'm glad to hear that it's not permanent. I wonder if that issue also affects the efficiency of the display overall. I find that the display consumes a TON of battery when it's on. Even with the brightness very low I only get about 3 and a half hours screen on time. 4 hours on a good day. And according to GSAM battery monitor, "Screen" consistently accounts for 60-72% of my battery consumption.

I'm glad to hear that it's not permanent. I wonder if that issue also affects the efficiency of the display overall. I find that the display consumes a TON of battery when it's on. Even with the brightness very low I only get about 3 and a half hours screen on time. 4 hours on a good day. And according to GSAM battery monitor, "Screen consistently accounts for 60-72% of my battery consumption.

I've noticed that too with the battery usage. When it was advertised as lasting for two days I was skeptical, and I still would not be able to use it without charging every night.

Just got mine today. I have to get used to the power button on the side (ugh). Other than that no complaints so far. I am trying to keep it off of the charger tonight and play around with the camera.

• Like 1