Any drawbacks from switching to the new $37 Unltd Plan?

EmeraldReporter

I have the $100 for two lines Family Unlimited Data Plan with add-on lines at $40.

Would there be any "fine-print" drawbacks?

Like, loss of Unlimited for Life Guarantee?

Less off-network roaming data allotment from the usual 300+Mb of data?

Lower priority on the network? I know that bucket data plans have the highest post-paid priority.

What will I miss out on? Because I can NOT fathom that Sprint will be losing money by giving you 3GB of hotspot data AND lose more money than my current plan.

post-25057-0-45639500-1459358152_thumb.jpeg

post-25057-0-18913000-1459358162_thumb.jpeg

I have the $100 for two lines Family Unlimited Data Plan with add-on lines at $40.

Lower priority on the network? I know that bucket data plans have the highest post-paid priority.

What will I miss out on? Because I can NOT fathom that Sprint will be losing money by giving you 3GB of hotspot data AND lose more money than my current plan.

100mb of roaming now not 300mb.  Everything else seems pretty much the same.  The 100mb is the only thing stopping me from switching.  

That 37.50 price is based on you having 4 lines on the $150 unlimited plan. Basically the plan is $75 1 line. $120 2 lines ($60 per line) $150 3 lines ( $50 per line) and $150 4 lines ( $37.50 per line)

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

100mb of roaming now not 300mb.  Everything else seems pretty much the same.  The 100mb is the only thing stopping me from switching.

But at the same time, Sprint has new roaming partners now, so I can only assume that faux-native coverage is offsetting the need for VZW coverage?

But at the same time, Sprint has new roaming partners now, so I can only assume that faux-native coverage is offsetting the need for VZW coverage?

Nope. Not every region has these roaming partners. Big cities are good examples where Verizon is the only roaming partner so its still needed for now.

Nope. Not every region has these roaming partners. Big cities are good examples where Verizon is the only roaming partner so its still needed for now.

There are large rural areas as well with no roaming partners other than Verizon such as Montana, ND, SD, Wyoming and Nevada.  

Do people still roam in big cities? My only big city experiences are the DFW metroplex and Atlanta, and I never roam in those. Every once in a while I would roam when driving from Atlanta to DFW.

• Like 3

If you got the plan and or devices before 7/31/2015, you aren't prioritized after 23GB.

I think that doesn't matter since Sprint will probably just end up implementing this policy to everyone in a couple of years. As of today if you're out of contract on a legacy plan, then the soft cap doesn't apply to you. But one way or another, we will all soon have that soft 23 GB data cap. It's inevitable.

So may as well jump in on a price cut while you can IMO.

Please elaborate, should I make the switch or pay for the premium fee?

If your plan was purchased after 7/30/15, all the lines on the plan are deprioritzed after 23GB. If the plan wasn't but a device was upgraded or added after that date that wasn't paid in full it gets deprioritzed after 23GB.

So if you have lines that use more than 23GB, it might feel the effects of deprioritization.

It is an FYI in terms of a potential drawback to switching plans.

There are large rural areas as well with no roaming partners other than Verizon such as Montana, ND, SD, Wyoming and Nevada.  

Thos are areas where sprint needs to add coverage. For sure since Tmobile has added to ND and, SD. Theres isnt to what vzw or att have but,its better than sprints out there.

I haven't roamed on Verizon in almost a year, not since NV has pretty much hit the 90% completion mark.

I still roam from time to time when traveling outside the city, but that's only on rural roads. Most U.S. Highways and Interstates are covered here in Texas.

Having said that, ever since the GS5 received the last security update, I haven't been able to establish a 1x data session on Verizon. Phone and SMS work fine though.

Do people still roam in big cities? My only big city experiences are the DFW metroplex and Atlanta, and I never roam in those. Every once in a while I would roam when driving from Atlanta to DFW.

If you count Madison, Wisconsin as "big city," I was roaming on USCellular when I was at a concert there last weekend.

If tower spacing/non-upgraded towers is an issue still and you're in a big brick building or the like, people could go to roaming without a doubt. 

Same thing here in both Boston and NYC. I can't remember the last time I saw more than 0MB used for roaming data on my bill. I've used more international roaming data than domestic roaming in the past year.

EmeraldReporter, simmer down. Shouting at people is not going to elicit help.  You are like Beavis yelling, "Help!  Help, asswipe!" Nobody at S4GRU has a responsibility to instruct you what to do or to tell you anything.

Just make your own decision and move on with real life.

AJ

• Like 3

THIS THREAD IS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT MY FAMILY PLAN CONUNDRUM.

PLEASE CONFIRM THAT I'LL KEEP OR LOSE •Unlimited Data for Life Guarantee!

•23GB data cap being applied to me!

Just to end the argument...

Yes. You will lose the Unlimited Data for Life Guarantee promo if you switch. So if Sprint one day decides to transfer everyone to tiered buckets, you won't be protected (likelihood of that happening is unlikely...soft caps are the future for users with unlimited plans)

Yes. A 23 GB soft data cap will be implemented to any new contract/user. Even your 'Unlimited Data for Life Guarantee' is subject to it if you decide to lease or buy a device through installments with Sprint. Sprint guaranteed you Unlimited Data usage, but the fine print has always stated that they hold the right to throttle you in order to manage their network.

Unlimited Data usage does not mean fast speeds. Unlimited data is unlimited data even at 1x speeds.

• Like 4

Just to end the argument...

Yes. You will lose the Unlimited Data for Life Guarantee promo if you switch. So if Sprint one day decides to transfer everyone to tiered buckets, you won't be protected (likelihood of that happening is unlikely...soft caps are the future for users with unlimited plans)

Yes. A 23 GB soft data cap will be implemented to any new contract/user. Even your 'Unlimited Data for Life Guarantee' is subject to it if you decide to lease or buy a device through installments with Sprint. Sprint guaranteed you Unlimited Data usage, but the fine print has always stated that they hold the right to throttle you in order to manage their network.

Unlimited Data usage does not mean fast speeds. Unlimited data is unlimited data even at 1x speeds.

If they did end unlimited data for whatever reason you would think that if your already on a unlimited data plan that you would be grandfathered into the plan like the old verizon and att plans. I dont see them forcing you to switch unless you lease a new device or something. I maybe wrong though.

If they did end unlimited data for whatever reason you would think that if your already on a unlimited data plan that you would be grandfathered into the plan like the old verizon and att plans. I dont see them forcing you to switch unless you lease a new device or something. I maybe wrong though.

I certainly don't think Sprint will be the first one to make that move if it comes down to it. But I wouldn't put it past a company like Verizon.

But again, its highly unlikely that they do. All they have to do is increase the prices for unlimited to cover growing costs and enforce a soft cap to users who go over a certain amount of data.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, it's unofficially a 300 MB hard cap, even if not advertised as such.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an old 1500 everything data plan, when I login to sprint website, it tells me there is a better plan for me. I look into the plan and its the $75 unlimited plan. With 5 lines and insurance, my monthly bill would be $235 plus taxes. I'm currently paying $320 for the 5 lines which includes 5 leased lg g4s from an offer they made me at best buy last year. When I got them leased phones, best buy told me the lease credit is because I've been a loyal customer for so many years and that's y I was offered the lease credit. So now I see this plan which is much cheaper and they tell me if I change plans I will lose my lease credit because the credit I'm given is because of my plan, not because of my loyalty. I'm so fed up with sprint right now, every time you call customer service, u get a foreigner that I can hardly understand. So my argument is, if I change to a cheaper plan, I should be given the option to give the phones back or keep my lease credit. Are they lying to me, do I change plans, then try n argue after the fact? Tia

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

I have an old 1500 everything data plan, when I login to sprint website, it tells me there is a better plan for me. I look into the plan and its the $75 unlimited plan. With 5 lines and insurance, my monthly bill would be $235 plus taxes. I'm currently paying $320 for the 5 lines which includes 5 leased lg g4s from an offer they made me at best buy last year. When I got them leased phones, best buy told me the lease credit is because I've been a loyal customer for so many years and that's y I was offered the lease credit. So now I see this plan which is much cheaper and they tell me if I change plans I will lose my lease credit because the credit I'm given is because of my plan, not because of my loyalty. I'm so fed up with sprint right now, every time you call customer service, u get a foreigner that I can hardly understand. So my argument is, if I change to a cheaper plan, I should be given the option to give the phones back or keep my lease credit. Are they lying to me, do I change plans, then try n argue after the fact? Tia

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

320!?!? Geez. I have the same plan and the same number of lines and pay 260!

First. Get rid of leases. They are the biggest ripoff John Legere ever came up with and sold as Gold. Your plan came with subsidies so take advantage of them. See if you can return those leases and get back on subsidy. You're paying extra (if you have credits, they're bound to expire bte) for a 2 year lease when in reality you could be owning a phone outright for 1/3 of the price and get to keep. Break those phones you currently have, and you'll be paying out of pocket for them.

Second, check to see if anyone in your lines works for someone that offers discounts through Sprint. Heck, even some Credit Unions offer Sprint discounts. Take advantage of these discounts.