Project Cedar / LTE - West / East Montana

lilotimz

Why would sprint just give away their spectrum with no roaming deal or anything?

Give it away, give it away, give it away now...

AJ

I use that map also, it shows other coverage in Montana but the folks over at S4GRU said that someone is spoofing the coverage in Montana so hopefully your post is legit.

I use that app also but I've been told that people are making fake coverages becuause it shows coverage in Montana and North Dakota that isn't true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All right, I made an account here.

I'm the one who's been mapping Missoula, MT and no, it's not fake. On the other hand, it's not very functional either. I get 2-4M down when I'm in the downtown area and around the mall. On campus it barely works, depending. Data works better if I force my phone to 3G. Tweets to Sprint Care only get me the reply that they're aware of the issue and working on it.

Some of my friends now think I'm a masochist for wanting to stick it out instead of switching, but I'm only expecting to be here for another year before I move, and it's been pretty good in most of the big cities I've been to (except LA). That and I'm only paying $65 for one phone and 25GB of data. 

Edited by jamar0303
  • Like 5

I'm the one who's been mapping Missoula, MT and no, it's not fake. On the other hand, it's not very functional either. I get 2-4M down when I'm in the downtown area and around the mall. On campus it barely works, depending. Data works better if I force my phone to 3G. Tweets to Sprint Care only get me the reply that they're aware of the issue and working on it.

Some of my friends now think I'm a masochist for wanting to stick it out instead of switching, but I'm only expecting to be here for another year before I move, and it's been pretty good in most of the big cities I've been to (except LA). That and I'm only paying $65 for one phone and 25GB of data.

I'm currently in Southern California, live 30 mins from L.A and I can confirm that LTE coverage and speeds are solid throughout the entire city. I'm in L.A every weekend all around. That being said, how do you actually map coverage on sensorly ? I've always wondered that. Also, coverage should grow even more in the next few months so speeds should get better.

I'm currently in Southern California, live 30 mins from L.A and I can confirm that LTE coverage and speeds are solid throughout the entire city. I'm in L.A every weekend all around. That being said, how do you actually map coverage on sensorly ? I've always wondered that. Also, coverage should grow even more in the next few months so speeds should get better.

You can't map using an iPhone. Apple doesn't allow access to the needed information to map signal. Same reason Signal Check and LTE Discovery don't work on an iPhone.

I'm the one who's been mapping Missoula, MT and no, it's not fake.

Wait so have you seen any LTE on I-90 or in other areas of Montana or even Missoula that you haven't napped?

Wait so have you seen any LTE on I-90 or in other areas of Montana or even Missoula that you haven't napped?

I'm driving I-90 tomorrow across Montana. I will be watching like a hawk. ;)

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 6

I'm driving I-90 tomorrow across Montana. I will be watching like a hawk. ;)

I like to count hawks perched on high places along the highway.  I think I once counted nine during just a half hour drive.

But I am crazy like a fox.

AJ

• Like 1

Granted, most of my LA experience is confined to LAX airport and that was last summer. I wouldn't be surprised if LA proper is better, but that was the first time I saw sub-1M LTE speeds before they went online here in Missoula.

I map coverage by walking around town with Sensorly running on my Nexus 6P, and sometimes while on the bus. I'll only be able to map what's accessible on foot or by transit. I can't map everywhere and I hope someone with a car can cover the spots I can't. 

Also, I would hope coverage improves, but a lot of the problem now feels like they're still fiddling with the cell sites. For example, I got my first call dropped mid-conversation today, which was very confusing because the phone said "no signal" while half the triangle was filled. And data doesn't work in parts of town. North part of town, for instance, I see solid 3G signal but data just doesn't work, so I'm effectively disconnected while I'm shopping at Costco or Target (or I would be if I didn't have a T-Mobile hotspot and a Canadian Wind SIM).

On another note, I tried to join a friend with his own iPhone 6 to my 25GB plan, that turned out a disaster, but that's not the topic of this thread.

Found Sprint LTE in Billings! Driving into town first I got a Sprint 1X signal on the East edge of town. And then cycling through airplane mode didn't get me anything more. Then I went to lte-only, and there it was on Band 25.

The signal was never very strong along I-90. And the speed was dog slow. They must not have upgraded their backhaul yet. Just hooked up what is available to meet the substantial service deadline, most likely. I didn't have time to drive around town and check things out, because the wind has slowed down my progress today.

I went ahead and mapped it on Sensorly and Cellmapper. Check out my screenshots below. I will check Bozeman and Butte on my way to Missoula tonight.

f38dd321ce12c1aed8ada65218fba292.jpg

4170b031ac89dd832b9d7498e1f90464.jpg

72a7a1565936b60d285e29965e563570.jpg

db21da58d363f12a01739ac54c783a9d.jpg

bb8c2b0772237a0cd60ba1c4d73cd941.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 13

Found Sprint LTE in Billings! Driving into town first I got a Sprint 1X signal on the East edge of town. And then cycling through airplane mode didn't get me anything more. Then I went to lte-only, and there it was on Band 25.

The signal was never very strong along I-90. And the speed was dog slow. They must not have upgraded their backhaul yet. Just hooked up what is available to meet the substantial service deadline, most likely. I didn't have time to drive around town and check things out, because the wind has slowed down my progress today.

I went ahead and mapped it on Sensorly and Cellmapper. Check out my screenshots below. I will check Bozeman and Butte on my way to Missoula tonight.

This is awesome!  One thing I noticed is that your APN is n.nv.ispsn...shouldn't it just be n.ispsn?

Found Sprint LTE in Billings!

. . .

I will check Bozeman and Butte on my way to Missoula tonight.

I hope that Sprint LTE has made its way to S4GRU's home office in Butt, MT.

AJ

• Like 1

This is awesome!  One thing I noticed is that your APN is n.nv.ispsn...shouldn't it just be n.ispsn?

Staff had to fix your post for readability.  Try not to quote massive screenshots.  We all understand that you are replying to Robert's post.

AJ

This is awesome! One thing I noticed is that your APN is n.nv.ispsn...shouldn't it just be n.ispsn?

I was using a Project Fi Nexus 6. That may be the cause of the difference.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If anyone's wondering, I'm out at the airport and signal is bad. I see a little bit of 1x signal (LTE Discovery says -118dBm) but calls don't go through and data doesn't work. It's so bad the phone prefers Verizon when it's set to "automatic".

Growth pains. Got to love em.

I wonder if they're just doing LTE GMOs just to meet the substantive service requirements and going back to do full builds later.

That would explain the weakish signals and lack of lte 800 being discovered.

Might be just the building penetration issue that comes with 1900 signal- as soon as I stepped out to the jetbridge and then the plane, I get solid LTE again. It's still not fully working though (speedtests won't complete, websites take a while to load).

I found Sprint LTE in Bozeman and Belgrade! Both were Band 25 only. Signals pretty weak along I-90. But project Cedar appears to be moving along.

I could see one tower right along the freeway that appeared to be Sprint Network Vision Samsung Gear. It was only one panel and one RRU. So there must not be band 26 at this point. And that one was not live. I was getting a signal from a farther away site.

05b2ffef3c5c91495d2c7fce2443bc3b.jpg

87420f42f038e8cf5fffc5ff69965803.jpg

• Like 4

Robert did you happen to drive thru Livingston MT on I90 and find any native Sprint signal?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I filled up in Livingston. Not any Sprint signal that I could find there. However, it sure is one hell of a windy place!

I did not find any Sprint signals in Butte. Nothing on my spectrum analyzer either.

I filled up in Livingston. Not any Sprint signal that I could find there.

Not in Livingston, I presume?

;)

AJ

• Like 1

Drove through Missoula on I-90. I got only a fair signal from the interstate. According to the neighboring cells, there appears to be at least two sites live in Missoula. Even with a weakish signal, I had a fair speed test result. Super high ping. But I didn't try another server.

Mapped on Sensorly and Cellmapper.

1b47ce9d65df0ba963e878d40a522a34.jpg

c60b565f7da3223dfac074bb3c825f78.jpg

aa0fbc317e343360c4add0c9df85561d.jpg

4a519aaef2adbbd19bdda361f99a3ff6.jpg

• Like 6