Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge User Thread

SturgeonGeneral

Well this is nice to see! Looks like the nougat update bringa with it working SMS over wifi. I've been able to send and receive SMS with all my radios shut off (save wifi of course). Now I should finally have a fully functional phone when I'm on the second level basement at work for hours on end. Huzzah!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well this is nice to see! Looks like the nougat update bringa with it working SMS over wifi. I've been able to send and receive SMS with all my radios shut off (save wifi of course). Now I should finally have a fully functional phone when I'm on the second level basement at work for hours on end. Huzzah!

SMS over WiFi was always working for me - 935P ROMs, 935U ROMs, and now the 7.0 Nougat beta.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Odd.. I tested it very thoroughly on all the various updates since the s7 dropped and could never get it to send or receive until now. Are you sure you've had radios disabled when you tested it? In my experience it kept a data connection alive and sent SMS that way unless you specifically put it on airplane mode and then enabled WiFi/wifi calling.

Odd.. I tested it very thoroughly on all the various updates since the s7 dropped and could never get it to send or receive until now. Are you sure you've had radios disabled when you tested it? In my experience it kept a data connection alive and sent SMS that way unless you specifically put it on airplane mode and then enabled WiFi/wifi calling.

Yes. I turn off Mobile Data until I need it when I'm not at home. At home, my phone is only connected to WiFi with Data off.

You're the first Sprint person I'm aware saying that WiFi over SMS didn't work.

Yes. I turn off Mobile Data until I need it when I'm not at home. At home, my phone is only connected to WiFi with Data off.

You're the first Sprint person I'm aware saying that WiFi over SMS didn't work.

Really strange. My wife's G4 exhibits the exact same behavior I was getting on the s7 previously. My dad's G5 has done the same in the past, but I can't test that one immediately.

Anyone else have or not have this issue?

Edit: found a reference to others experiencing the same thing I did on another forum. I'm not sure why there would be inconsistencies like this, but oh well. Just glad it is finally working in my case.

Really strange. My wife's G4 exhibits the exact same behavior I was getting on the s7 previously. My dad's G5 has done the same in the past, but I can't test that one immediately.

Anyone else have or not have this issue?

Edit: found a reference to others experiencing the same thing I did on another forum. I'm not sure why there would be inconsistencies like this, but oh well. Just glad it is finally working in my case.

Maybe it has to do with different WiFi router configurations?

Even when I use a thirdparty app like Textra & use its option for mms over WiFi, it still works. Same for Google Messenger.

Is there a way to skip a alarm? My old mother x pure I could skip a alarm with out disabling it. Like waking up 5 mins before your alarm, just skip it and not having to remember to re-enable it. I could do it from the lock screen and in notifications. I usually wake up a few mins before my alarm and don't want it to wake my fiancé up, now I just unlock my phone then disable the alarm and lock the screen so that the next time I unlock it is notice it needs to be enabled. Thanks.

Sent from a under water dust storm on my Galaxy S7 on Verizon.

Is there a way to skip a alarm? My old mother x pure I could skip a alarm with out disabling it. Like waking up 5 mins before your alarm, just skip it and not having to remember to re-enable it. I could do it from the lock screen and in notifications. I usually wake up a few mins before my alarm and don't want it to wake my fiancé up, now I just unlock my phone then disable the alarm and lock the screen so that the next time I unlock it is notice it needs to be enabled. Thanks.

Sent from a under water dust storm on my Galaxy S7 on Verizon.

I use Google's clock app from the Play Store. It has this feature.
  • Like 1

I use Google's clock app from the Play Store. It has this feature.

I do the same and just use the Google clock widget for my home screen to make it easily accessible.  I also love the Fade-in feature to gently wake me up.  It has made a big difference in my grumpiness in the morning :P

• Like 1

Anyone using the nougat beta? I missed registration but curious to see how others are experiencing it.

I've been running it on my S7. Most things work really well. Notifications and quick replies are the biggest improvements. As I reported earlier it also fixed my SMS over wifi calling issues. Other stuff is minor but still mostly good. The launcher and overall system UI seems smoother, split screen is implemented slightly differently etc..

There are a few bugs ive come across in the settings menus, and related to updating apps and themes. I also get a reoccurring app crash about once a day from Amazon photos for some reason. Overall it's very stable and smooth for a beta.

• Like 1

I've been running it on my S7. Most things work really well. Notifications and quick replies are the biggest improvements. As I reported earlier it also fixed my SMS over wifi calling issues. Other stuff is minor but still mostly good. The launcher and overall system UI seems smoother, split screen is implemented slightly differently etc..

There are a few bugs ive come across in the settings menus, and related to updating apps and themes. I also get a reoccurring app crash about once a day from Amazon photos for some reason. Overall it's very stable and smooth for a beta.

Thanks for sharing. Is battery much better on nougat?

Standby is generally better. Can't say I've noticed much difference in my actual usage though.

My only complaint is the stand by usage on this device. 4% an hour or so when idle. None of my other devices have this issue. Sounds like Nougat may finally fix that! Thanks

I get the same amazon photos bug even though I have that app disabled. Weird.

I have a bug where I can't change notifications settings on hangouts. Everytime I try to change the settings the settings crash. Does it do this for you? So far my biggest complaint.

I'm loving the beta overall. There are many bugs though. For instance, after a normal reboot, all of my apps' Accessibility settings get forgotten & I have to toggle them back on again. Once in a while after a reboot, my QHD display setting gets changed to FHD.

And sometimes the phone doesn't connect automatically to my home WiFi networks and I have to select manually.

Besides these issues, the beta is great. Smooth, fast, and stable. I haven't experienced any abnormal crashes or reboots.

As for battery life, it's slightly worse for me b/c I can no longer use Greenify's Doze on the Go feature and it takes the rom longer to enter Doze.