Wifi Mesh Networks

kineticman

I've always been fascinated by the concept, but when I look at the logistics I always come to the conclusion that while it would be an insanely awesome project it would ultimately be more expensive and slower than available wired internet in my area and all surrounding areas. I guess it comes down to the fundamental drawbacks of wireless vs wired: unpredictable environment factors, increased overhead, and overall lower peak speeds. At least I'm very familiar with Ubiquiti's product catalog as a result. But I've always loved stories like this about it actually working and being relatively cost-effective.

• Like 1

This has been in the works for a long time, but was pushed even more in urgency by Hurricane Sandy when that area of the city was underwater.  The network is good for emergency times like that... one connection can assist an entire neighborhood instead of hoping for Internet in the home during a natural disaster.  Allegedly FEMA used what was functioning of it back in 2012.  http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/nyregion/red-hooks-cutting-edge-wireless-network.html?_r=0