Sprint 800 MHz LTE Set For Launch In 2014

Does anyone know if the Evo Shift is SMR 1x capable?

Negative. The EVO Shift is approved for CDMA1X 850/1900 + WiMAX 2600.

AJ

• Like 2

Negative. The EVO Shift is approved for CDMA1X 850/1900 + WiMAX 2600.

AJ

Aww. Shoot. Oh well. Can't test 800 in my areas.

Sent from Joshs iPhone 3Gs using Forum Runner

Absolutely hating that our Shift is out of it for any NV advantages, but oh well.

I hear ya, but keep in mind that NV will also improve 3G data speeds for all. And, the new tower setups are said to improve overall signal strength in general (something like a 20% increase right off the bat, even at 1900mhz). But, yea, sucks they wont get any of the 800mhz goodness.

• Like 1

I can't believe I paid almost $300 for a phone that would be almost totally worthless in 2 years. Oh well. :(

Sent from Joshs iPhone 3Gs using Forum Runner

I can't believe I paid almost $300 for a phone that would be almost totally worthless in 2 years. Oh well. :(

Par for the course, Josh. You just described practically every cellphone manufactured in the last 10 years.

AJ

• Like 1

Par for the course, Josh. You just described practically every cellphone manufactured in the last 10 years.

AJ

Except for my iPhone 4. I paid 300 for it, and sold it almost a year later for 750. That was the only time I have turned a phone around for major profit.

Edit: And I paid 200 for my 3Gs almost 3 years ago and can still sell it on eBay for $150+ easily. The only phones I have ever owned that hold their value for so long.

Evo 3D, coined by AndroidForums member Candyman. It's pronounced three-vo.

EL TEvo was coined by AM2 from the name LTEvo (lte evo) by drexappeal, also members there.

Sorry for the shorthand, no l33t intentions, just habits, especially after seeing EL TEvo used here.

Now that's just down right backwards... slang is supposed to make it shorter, not add any letters.

I leave my secret decoder ring at home all the time so forgive me if I call the phones by their correct names.

Now that's just down right backwards... slang is supposed to make it shorter, not add any letters.

I leave my secret decoder ring at home all the time so forgive me if I call the phones by their correct names.

Well, we put it to a vote and it's all in good fun - and LTEvo is two fewer keystrokes than LTE EVO or Evo LTE. ;):)

I believe that it's a common myth that Qualcomm SoCs contain radios. When considering the RF that must be managed to deal with bus crosstalk within the SoC (system on (a) chip), adding raw antenna inputs and managing to that would drive costs through the roof.

No, actually, it is not a myth. Qualcomm QSC family chipsets include both modem and radio transceiver on the same chipset, while other Qualcomm chipsets interface with a separate radio transceiver (e.g. WTR1605). That said, "radio" is often colloquially used synonymously with "modem," as separate radio transceivers do not get a lot of discussion.

AJ

• Like 1

No, actually, it is not a myth. Qualcomm QSC family chipsets include both modem and radio transceiver on the same chipset, while other Qualcomm chipsets interface with a separate radio transceiver (e.g. WTR1605). That said, "radio" is often colloquially used synonymously with "modem," as separate radio transceivers do not get a lot of discussion.

AJ

Sorry, I thought that the discussion was about the MSM series main processors, but you're right, I was not specific.

Does the EVO 4G LTE contain an unmentioned second Qualcomm modem so as to enable SVDO? Or does the S4 MSM8960 internally contain multiple radios, such that it can do SVDO by itself? Those are the greater questions right now.

AJ

And the use of modem and radio are kept separate on another forum I'm accustomed to, where the actual radio chips are discussed separately, but that's just my mileage varying.

PS - Consider your post liked, I'm at my quota for today, can't push the like button. ;):)

Edited by EarlyMon

PS - Consider your post liked, I'm at my quota for today, can't push the like button. ;):)

I've increased this now. It was set to 10 by default.

Robert

• Like 2

And the use of modem and radio are kept separate on another forum I'm accustomed to, where the actual radio chips are discussed separately, but that's just my mileage varying.

In our forum, the problem with discussing modems and radio transceivers separately (if applicable) is that many of our lay readers already have a difficult time understanding that chipsets, power amps, and antennas must all work in concert for devices to contain certain RF capabilities. So, we try to find a balance between technical correctness and reasonable comprehension.

AJ

• Like 1

Gotcha.

On the other forum, I'm constantly fighting the battle cry that because multiple modems are misperceived as radio transceivers, people on Sprint and Verizon are always incorrectly concluding that upcoming handsets with S3 or S4 Qualcomms are automatically world phones.

Different venues, different problems. :)

Edited by EarlyMon

Gotcha.

On the other forum, I'm constantly fighting the battle cry that because multiple modems are misperceived as radio transceivers, people on Sprint and Verizon are always incorrectly concluding that upcoming handsets with S3 or S4 Qualcomms are automatically world phones.

Different venues, different problems.

Haha

Just because the chip itself "supports" some things doesn't mean it all will work in the device....lol

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2