Sprint 800 MHz LTE Set For Launch In 2014

Can LTE be allocated in say a 7x3 configuration? I say that because typically my speeds on evdo are about 50-100k down and 700-800k up. I wouldn't think that all that spectrum would need to be allocated for upload. Most people are used to having under 1mbps for uploads.

Also it looks like LTE is up to 12 times more efficient that EVDO so that should help for the near term capacity problems.

FD-LTE is always symmetrical up and down-- i.e., 1.4x1.4 or 3x3 or 5x5 or 10x10 or 15x15 or 20x20 configurations. TD-LTE will offer different up and downlink time spreads-- these systems use the same frequency up and down but split the signal into timeslices-- so many up and so many down-- these systems are flexible in terms of up and downlink timeslice percentages.

How will existing Nextel iDEN Customers be migrated onto Sprint CDMA Network if they are in a non Sprint Coverage Area? I remember you mentioning that Network Vision is going to be deployed only on existing Sprint CDMA towers and not on the Nextel iDEN only towers.

Zero, they will be asked to find a new phone carrier and let out of their contact ETF free.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Zero, they will be asked to find a new phone carrier and let out of their contact ETF free.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sad that Sprint is doing this to those customers.

How will existing Nextel iDEN Customers be migrated onto Sprint CDMA Network if they are in a non Sprint Coverage Area? I remember you mentioning that Network Vision is going to be deployed only on existing Sprint CDMA towers and not on the Nextel iDEN only towers.

They migrate them to ATT or Verizon.

Sad that Sprint is doing this to those customers.

Not really as they have been told this is happening for a long time now...the final cut off date might of moved up a yr or so but, by no means is this something happening out of left field to them.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3

Not really as they have been told this is happening for a long time now...the final cut off date might of moved up a yr or so but, by no means is this something happening out of left field to them.

The part I find sad is that they have the spectrum to utilize, but they aren't going to use it.

Maybe some day in the future they will re use it.

The part I find sad is that they have the spectrum to utilize, but they aren't going to use it.

Maybe some day in the future they will re use it.

What spectrum are they not going to use?...

A 5x5 MHz LTE and a 1x carrier should be fine for now but I would love to see Sprint obtain the lower part of the 800 MHz spectrum 810-817 MHz used by SouthernLinc and others. With that acquisition of spectrum Sprint would then have a 14x14 configuration which they could use to put a 10x10 LTE carrier and 2 1x carriers. Then as LTE progresses, sprint could turn those 2 1x carriers into a 3x3 LTE carrier.

That wouldn't be possible except in the southeastern U.S. The FCC rebanding of the ESMR forbids any cellular phone usage below 817 MHz except in the southeastern U.S. where it is allowed down to 812.5 MHz due to SouthernLINC's existence. Public Safety was relocated to the lower part of this band and significant restrictions were put in place to eliminate potential interference. This is why Sprint had to agree to reduce the EIRP allowed as their frequency drops lower in the ESMR band. They also had to agree to a 1MHz guard at the bottom (816-817 MHz) of the "new" ESMR band with NO transmissions at all.

• Like 1

That wouldn't be possible except in the southeastern U.S. The FCC rebanding of the ESMR forbids any cellular phone usage below 817 MHz except in the southeastern U.S. where it is allowed down to 812.5 MHz due to SouthernLINC's existence. Public Safety was relocated to the lower part of this band and significant restrictions were put in place to eliminate potential interference. This is why Sprint had to agree to reduce the EIRP allowed as their frequency drops lower in the ESMR band. They also had to agree to a 1MHz guard at the bottom (816-817 MHz) of the "new" ESMR band with NO transmissions at all.

Is SouthernLINC going to to follow the same path as Sprint for decommissioning its iDEN Network?

What spectrum are they not going to use?...

OK, maybe not spectrum, but combining the 2 footprints in the areas that iDEN has service but Sprint doesn't. And maybe that is just too costly to setup for right now.

OK, maybe not spectrum, but combining the 2 footprints in the areas that iDEN has service but Sprint doesn't. And maybe that is just too costly to setup for right now.

ahhh the areas where there are nextel/iDen only towers specifically and no Sprint ones. gotcha...Really just asking to replace those with NV towers i guess...which from some of the talk on here it seems they are to an extent in some areas at least since they are adding towers too in some places during this...

I don't think you understood what I meant. What I was suggesting was if Sprint were to buy out SouthernLinc and whoever else uses that spectrum in the 810-817 MHz so that Sprint could expand its current 800 MHz holdings. It never was meant to be something that Sprint would be able to do now but thank you. I understand that the current spectrum Sprint owns is the ESMR band which is from 817-824 MHz.

I don't think you understood what I meant. What I was suggesting was if Sprint were to buy out SouthernLinc and whoever else uses that spectrum in the 810-817 MHz so that Sprint could expand its current 800 MHz holdings. It never was meant to be something that Sprint would be able to do now but thank you. I understand that the current spectrum Sprint owns is the ESMR band which is from 817-824 MHz.

Sprint owns all usable (allowable by FCC regulations) ESMR spectrum nationwide except for SouthernLINC's holdings in the southeastern U.S.-- and that is the ONLY area in the U.S. where cell phone emissions are allowed below 817 MHz. There are no other usable holdings for Sprint to obtain.

In other words, IF Sprint bought out SouthernLINC, they could use an additional 5x5 MHz of space in the Memphis, Atlanta, Birmingham, and north Florida markets. FCC only allows the 812.5 - 817 MHz cellular usage in these areas (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, north Florida, and parts of S.C.) The rest of the country has 817 MHz as the lower limit (which Sprint holds the entirety of the ESMR space).

Eric, do not take this the wrong way, but I think that you need to let this dream die. That Sprint could buy out and/or relocate SouthernLINC, other ESMR licensees, and (most importantly) public safety users is a pipe dream that has no chance of happening within the next 10 years. Public safety rebanding has been such an ordeal and is still ongoing that we will not see another 800 MHz reconfiguration effort for a long time.

AJ

• Like 1

I was thinking along the lines for example that you had a 10x10 chunk of spectrum and you allocated it so that 7x3 and then 3x7 with the 7 being the downlink.

I am not quite sure what you are proposing ("7x3 and then 3x7 with the 7 being the downlink"), but the reality of the situation is that a 10 MHz x 10 MHz FDD block is a 10 MHz uplink paired with a 10 MHz downlink. In FDD operation, the uplink and downlink must be separated to avoid horrible adjacent channel interference that could lead to receiver overload.

AJ

I am not quite sure what you are proposing ("7x3 and then 3x7 with the 7 being the downlink"), but the reality of the situation is that a 10 MHz x 10 MHz FDD block is a 10 MHz uplink paired with a 10 MHz downlink. In FDD operation, the uplink and downlink must be separated to avoid horrible adjacent channel interference that could lead to receiver overload.

AJ

I see

Eric, do not take this the wrong way, but I think that you need to let this dream die. That Sprint could buy out and/or relocate SouthernLINC, other ESMR licensees, and (most importantly) public safety users is a pipe dream that has no chance of happening within the next 10 years. Public safety rebanding has been such an ordeal and is still ongoing that we will not see another 800 MHz reconfiguration effort for a long time.

I'm rather more optimistic about SouthernLINC going away sooner or later; Southern are going to have to migrate away from iDEN too, since Motorola is going to stop making phones and base station equipment, but they don't have the spectrum to transition to another technology. Sprint is the only logical buyer; anybody else would have an oddball network in the southeast that wouldn't fit with the holdings in the rest of the country. I suppose SouthernLINC could just squat on the spectrum or try to launch their own local wireless broadband network or deploy a different PTT system like QChat, but I can't see them making that sort of investment in a non-core business when they have far bigger fish to fry in power generation and delivery. The only real question is whether Sprint is willing to pay what Southern wants to get for the spectrum holdings.

But I don't think Sprint would touch the rest of ESMR and public safety, and really they don't need to.

I'm rather more optimistic about SouthernLINC going away sooner or later; Southern are going to have to migrate away from iDEN too, since Motorola is going to stop making phones and base station equipment, but they don't have the spectrum to transition to another technology. Sprint is the only logical buyer; anybody else would have an oddball network in the southeast that wouldn't fit with the holdings in the rest of the country. I suppose SouthernLINC could just squat on the spectrum or try to launch their own local wireless broadband network or deploy a different PTT system like QChat, but I can't see them making that sort of investment in a non-core business when they have far bigger fish to fry in power generation and delivery. The only real question is whether Sprint is willing to pay what Southern wants to get for the spectrum holdings.

But I don't think Sprint would touch the rest of ESMR and public safety, and really they don't need to.

After Sprint shutters iDEN, only 2 carriers in the US & Canada will still have iDEN, SouthernLINC & Mike by Telus. As far as I know, Telus isn't ready to shut iDEN in Canada down just yet, so the technology might remain usable for a little while after Sprint decommissions their PTT network.

• Like 1

Sprint owns all usable (allowable by FCC regulations) ESMR spectrum nationwide except for SouthernLINC's holdings in the southeastern U.S.-- and that is the ONLY area in the U.S. where cell phone emissions are allowed below 817 MHz. There are no other usable holdings for Sprint to obtain.

In other words' date=' IF Sprint bought out SouthernLINC, they could use an additional 5x5 MHz of space in the Memphis, Atlanta, Birmingham, and north Florida markets. FCC only allows the 812.5 - 817 MHz cellular usage in these areas (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, north Florida, and parts of S.C.) The rest of the country has 817 MHz as the lower limit (which Sprint holds the entirety of the ESMR space).[/quote']

I thought Hawaii had ESMR frequency that sprint did not own but was usable?

I can't remember the company that owns it off the top of my head.

To clarify, Sprint is deploying one 1xAdvanced carrier for voice and 1x data this year on 800 within Network Vision deployments. This carrier will not be active the day the site goes live. However, after enough room is cleared from the iDEN thinning and reorganization, the 800 1xA carriers will go live. Maybe as soon as this Fall in some areas. Existing 800 CDMA capable handsets will be able to use this right away. However, this will not occur in all markets because of rebanding, etc.

Sprint will be deploying 800 LTE carriers later in 2013. They will not be in place of the 800 1xA carrier, but spectrally right beside it. The 5x5 800 FD-LTE carriers will not be be deployed at every site nationwide. Because Sprint does not have 14MHz of 800 nationwide. Some more details about that will be in our 800 article.

Robert

Thank you. So the EVO LTE will be able to take advantage of 1xadvanced voice and 3G data on 800 cdma?

Is SouthernLINC going to to follow the same path as Sprint for decommissioning its iDEN Network?

Southernlinc has hinted that they will go lte for a while now.

After sprint shuts down iden they really have no choice.

Thank you. So the EVO LTE will be able to take advantage of 1xadvanced voice and 3G data on 800 cdma?

Yes and no. EVO LTE will use Sprint's 1xAdvanced on 800 and 1900. The EVO LTE is 3G EVDO "capable" on 800, but Sprint has no plans to put 3G EVDO on 800 SMR. But if they ever should, the device could use it.

Robert