Sprint 800 MHz LTE Set For Launch In 2014

It looks like Sprint 800 MHz LTE is set for launch in 2014. It is a good possibility now that Sprint will definitely take advantage of Clearwire 2500 MHz LTE that is set for launch in 2013 to reduce its traffic first before it can take advantage of its 800 MHz LTE.

Source: http://www.fiercewir...-lte/2012-04-12

It looks like Sprint 800 MHz LTE is set for launch in 2014. It is a good possibility now that Sprint will definitely take advantage of Clearwire 2500 MHz LTE that is set for launch in 2013 to reduce its traffic first before it can take advantage of its 800 MHz LTE.

Source: http://www.fiercewir...-lte/2012-04-12

By 2014. S4GRU knows it is launching sooner. We will have an article about it soon.

Robert

• Like 3

By 2014. S4GRU knows it is launching sooner. We will have an article about it soon.

Robert

Do you know if Sprint will offload its traffic to Clearwire 2500 MHz LTE before it gets to its 800 MHz LTE?

Do you know if Sprint will offload its traffic to Clearwire 2500 MHz LTE before it gets to its 800 MHz LTE?

You are making the assumption that Clearwire TD-LTE is coming online before 800 LTE. That is a faulty assumption.

Robert

• Like 2

You are making the assumption that Clearwire TD-LTE is coming online before 800 LTE. That is a faulty assumption.

Robert

Should Sprint have about the same number of sites planned on 800 MHz LTE by June 2013 like Clearwire?

Should Sprint have about the same number of sites planned on 800 MHz LTE by June 2013 like Clearwire?

I have not seen the numbers on a month by month basis. But I would guess based on what I know that there will be more Clearwire sites live than 800 initially. That assumes Clearwire stays on schedule. However, 800 LTE deployment will be fast. Most of the work will already be done.

Robert

I have not seen the numbers on a month by month basis. But I would guess based on what I know that there will be more Clearwire sites live than 800 initially. That assumes Clearwire stays on schedule. However, 800 LTE deployment will be fast. Most of the work will already be done.

Robert

Will Sprint install 800 equipment with network vision and turn it on remotely once iden is cleared out?

Will Sprint install 800 equipment with network vision and turn it on remotely once iden is cleared out?

LTE 800 equipment? I can't say definitively. I have seen docs that say both things. Sometimes when things look conflicting, it's not that one is right and the other is wrong. More likely, it changed from one to the other. However, even if they are not, it's just adding a 800 LTE carrier in the rack. All the other equipment, and I mean all of it, from the antennas/panels, radios, sweeps, cabinets, racks, backhaul...I mean everything, will be in place for 800 LTE. It will take a field tech a few hours per site to get 800 LTE up and running after the fact. It will almost be plug and play. Then testing. So it doesn't matter a whole lot if 800 LTE is in place now or when it goes live in 2013.

However, 800 1xAdvanced carriers are being installed right now in Network Vision. And they will be going live a lot sooner. They will be migrating enough iDEN space to clear room for one 1xA carrier at every site. As soon as iDEN is cleared enough space in every market, 800 CDMA will be lit up without rolling. Essentially just flipping a switch.

Robert

• Like 2

LTE 800 equipment? I can't say definitively. I have seen docs that say both things. Sometimes when things look conflicting, it's not that one is right and the other is wrong. More likely, it changed from one to the other. However, even if they are not, it's just adding a 800 LTE carrier in the rack. All the other equipment, and I mean all of it, from the antennas/panels, radios, sweeps, cabinets, racks, backhaul...I mean everything, will be in place for 800 LTE. It will take a field tech a few hours per site to get 800 LTE up and running after the fact. It will almost be plug and play. Then testing. So it doesn't matter a whole lot if 800 LTE is in place now or when it goes live in 2013.

However, 800 1xAdvanced carriers are being installed right now in Network Vision. And they will be going live a lot sooner. They will be migrating enough iDEN space to clear room for one 1xA carrier at every site. As soon as iDEN is cleared enough space in every market, 800 CDMA will be lit up without rolling. Essentially just flipping a switch.

Robert

Will 800 1xAdvanced migrate fully to 800 LTE?

Am I the only one wondering why 2.5Ghz is not being co-located on NV towers? I thought that when NV was first announced that was going to be part of the plan until light-squared came along? Seems like sprint could be saving money and getting additional spectrum by hosting 20mhz or so for clear and allow there LTE wholesale customers to use the network in exchange. Of course it would be a better idea I think to just buy the rest of clearwire while it is relatively cheap so that it can have full use of the spectrum. The wholesale only model is doomed to fail VZ and ATT are not going to buy capacity from clear they will just wait till the bankruptcy and buy the spectrum.

Am I the only one wondering why 2.5Ghz is not being co-located on NV towers? I thought that when NV was first announced that was going to be part of the plan until light-squared came along? Seems like sprint could be saving money and getting additional spectrum by hosting 20mhz or so for clear and allow there LTE wholesale customers to use the network in exchange. Of course it would be a better idea I think to just buy the rest of clearwire while it is relatively cheap so that it can have full use of the spectrum. The wholesale only model is doomed to fail VZ and ATT are not going to buy capacity from clear they will just wait till the bankruptcy and buy the spectrum.

The Clearwire LTE build out is going to be a joint collaboration effort for the deployment of 2.5 GHz LTE. Sprint is working with Clearwire to select specific Sprint towers sites (not sure if its just limited to Clearwire's own footprint) which it feels has a huge demand of traffic and colocate their LTE equipment there to relieve capacity. I am sure that the current NV towers that are already up do not account for Clearwire's TD-LTE equipment since Clearwire is still working with the TD-LTE coalition on standardizing TD-LTE. I would assume that when Clearwire is ready to start their LTE buildout that they would work together with the Sprint vendors to erect the Network Vision towers together with 800/1900/2500 MHz support. There has not been a single Clearwire inside source to confirm their LTE buildout plans.

Robert...feel free to correct me if I am wrong here.

In terms of Sprint buying out Clearwire, I think it should be a long term goal but right now is not the best time since Sprint needs to channel all available funding into Network Vision. When Sprint's balance sheet improves and Clearwire's balance sheet starts improving then Sprint should try to scoop in and buy them. Also I don't like the idea of Sprint having such a huge spectrum portfolio (150 MHz Clear + ~50 MHz Sprint = 200 MHz total) since not only would it exceed Verizon or AT&T's current spectrum portfolio by a lot but it will also hurt their chances of obtaining more favorable spectrum (i.e PCS H Block or AWS spectrum). This would make Sprint seem like a hypocrite since they would have enough spectrum equal to the combination of Verizon and AT&T.

• Like 1

Clear's spectrum precludes that possibility in a lot of locations. The towers are spread too far apart and there would be holes in their coverage

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Clear's spectrum precludes that possibility in a lot of locations. The towers are spread too far apart and there would be holes in their coverage

I my thinking was that if all on the same tower you could go from 2.5, 1.9, to 800 as you moved from the tower. I was not aware the TD-LTE wasn't ready yet. I looked at the NV slideshow again and I was mistaken while the slides indicate all spectrum on the same tower at the end of the slideshow they say nothing was worked out with clear at the time.

Robert

WOW! if this is the case and Sprint is turning on 800 LTE before next June(when Clearwire slated to have 5k sites live by), THEN Sprint is doing everyone right now a HUGE disservice by not having the EVO 4G LTE cleared for 800 LTE...imho(yes they could re cert the device for the band, but whats the likelihood of that happening?.....

did we ever come to the conclusion that sprint got the full go ahead clear from FCC on the re purposing of the 800 band? can't remember here as last i remember is they requested it or something along those lines...

Robert has mentioned this before b/c I brought up the same thing originally long ago...in the very very very initial slides the 2.5 was on them, but if I recall correctly Robert mentioned something along the lines of Clearwire and Sprint not coming to terms on it so Sprint decided to just go ahead and let Clearwire do its own thing and all in a way...It wouldn't be on every tower b/c of like Scott mentioned before but it would of been on many...its a shame it isn't being done but it is what it is...

Just wanted to let ya know that it WAS there to begin with so you dont think your nuts for thinking it was going to be there...lol

WOW! if this is the case and Sprint is turning on 800 LTE before next June(when Clearwire slated to have 5k sites live by), THEN Sprint is doing everyone right now a HUGE disservice by not having the EVO 4G LTE cleared for 800 LTE...imho(yes they could re cert the device for the band, but whats the likelihood of that happening?.....

did we ever come to the conclusion that sprint got the full go ahead clear from FCC on the re purposing of the 800 band? can't remember here as last i remember is they requested it or something along those lines...

You know what they say about early adopters... This is why a lot of people have been waiting for a phone that supports 800 LTE. There will be plenty of 1900 LTE to give EVO owners good service. There is still a chance that the EVO might support 800 LTE

I don't think the FCC has ruled on the LTE on 800mhz.

You know what they say about early adopters... This is why a lot of people have been waiting for a phone that supports 800 LTE. There will be plenty of 1900 LTE to give EVO owners good service. There is still a chance that the EVO might support 800 LTE

I don't think the FCC has ruled on the LTE on 800mhz.

yeah I dont chalk it up to early adapters though as Sprint did a good job and planed ahead and had 800(not LTE obv lol) approved for the EVO3D almost 2 years in advance from when it was going to be able to use that freq...

That there gave me the notion/idea that Sprint is pretty sound at planning devices way ahead in advance for their network...

at this rate it makes that look like a fluke. lol

least until we get a magic gift of the device being re-certified... :)

If they are planning on having both freq live next year it just seems odd to leave the device out in the cold is all...

yeah I dont chalk it up to early adapters though as Sprint did a good job and planed ahead and had 800(not LTE obv lol) approved for the EVO3D almost 2 years in advance from when it was going to be able to use that freq...

That there gave me the notion/idea that Sprint is pretty sound at planning devices way ahead in advance for their network...

at this rate it makes that look like a fluke. lol

least until we get a magic gift of the device being re-certified...

If they are planning on having both freq live next year it just seems odd to leave the device out in the cold is all...

If HTC can't fit the guts for 800 LTE in the phone, it doesn't matter what sprint is planning. It won't be in the phone.

If HTC can't fit the guts for 800 LTE in the phone, it doesn't matter what sprint is planning. It won't be in the phone.

and if thats the case then why the push for it right now ya know?...less we would be able to benefit from it through LTE advanced?(im still not fully brushed up on that whole ordeal)...give me chip questions and im good...cell network...another story lol

Robert has mentioned this before b/c I brought up the same thing originally long ago...in the very very very initial slides the 2.5 was on them, but if I recall correctly Robert mentioned something along the lines of Clearwire and Sprint not coming to terms on it so Sprint decided to just go ahead and let Clearwire do its own thing and all in a way...It wouldn't be on every tower b/c of like Scott mentioned before but it would of been on many...its a shame it isn't being done but it is what it is...

Just wanted to let ya know that it WAS there to begin with so you dont think your nuts for thinking it was going to be there...lol

They also kinda thought they had Lightsquared sealed in too...but I believe the main reason was the towers are too far. My area doesn't have them close enough for 1900mhz in many places...2.5 would just be downright horrible on that tower spacing.

and if thats the case then why the push for it right now ya know?...less we would be able to benefit from it through LTE advanced?(im still not fully brushed up on that whole ordeal)...give me chip questions and im good...cell network...another story lol

could be for improved building penetration.