OpenSignal Report 2/2016

Terrell352

Sprint needs a lot of work, and the pace with that NGN needs to pick up fast. The tech blogs are beating them badly today. I didn't expect anything different since they need a carrier to hate, and Sprint is the one.

There are a lot of old Sprint single bands 25 device out there GS3, HTC Evo LTE, and M7. Those devices plus Sprint coverage holes having affecting this study. Also Kevin fitchard is a Sprint hater since his days at Gigaom. I hate to say it but Sprint has a big network perception problem. Pink Mobile can assault Net neutrality, and they will keep getting a pass from these jokers.

I must admit that I did not get the Kevin Fitchard reference at first.  Then, I read this Wired article:

http://www.wired.com/2016/02/t-mobiles-finally-good-enough-to-put-pressure-on-verizon/

Post Gigaom, Kevin has become an OpenSignal "analyst."  I found that interesting.  Kevin and I have had personal interactions, even spoken on the phone.  He is a fine journalist, but an analyst?  Some of us on staff here at little old amateur S4GRU possess wireless expertise in considerably greater depth and breadth than Kevin does.  He is a writer, not an analyst.  So, I hope that OpenSignal is not his only gig, as I cannot imagine that his responsibilities are substantial.  Maybe he just writes up the reports in journalistic fashion.

That said, I would not characterize Kevin as a "Sprint hater."  Two years in a row, as I recall, he conducted and published personal interviews with former Sprint CEO Dan Hesse.  He had significant access to the very top inside Sprint and maintained journalistic objectivity.  However, with the demise of Gigaom and the change in leadership at Sprint, he almost assuredly has lost that access, thus no longer may feel any obligation to be objective about Sprint.

The OpenSignal report and the tech press articles that followed do read like T-Mobile lovefests.  Whether they say it or not, so many of the tech press are GSM lovers rooting for T-Mobile.  They will tolerate AT&T -- or even CDMA2000 VZW because of its ubiquity and reliability.  But they want T-Mobile to be their frontrunner.  And they do not give a flip about Sprint.

AJ

Yes, reading is fundamental.  Look one post above from several hours ago.  Voilà.

AJ

I feel like one of the reasons why T-Mobile customers are on LTE so much is because most of T-Mobiles customers live in the city, where they have LTE coverage. Most rural customers probably have Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint, because T-Mobile was never worth a damn in rural areas (until recently). The other three more-or-less have signal in most rural areas, which, for Sprint, may or may not be LTE, which causes their on LTE percentages to drop a bit. T-Mobiles customers are in much greater numbers in city centers, whereas the other 3 cariers have a much more spread out customer base.

-Anthony

• Like 5

That's odd. Has anyone been to Orlando with pings this low? 

Every band 41 speed test I tried it on was in the Orlando market and not one of them are below 60. 

Note 5 having a issue maybe?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

The only thing odd I can see is on your end..  Must be that Note 5?  I've never understood the speed test obsession but, I've run numerous here while visiting the Orlando market.  Only one test has resulted with a ping over 60.  All other tests have ranged from 38 to 58.   :)

Recently moved. Not the best coverage over here in my area, but for the most part, most of the areas I visit are just fine... as evidence. It's clearly which ones are b41 and which are b25 or 26.

And the only ping above 60 was either b25 or 26. Not sure about all this, "not one below 60 ms ping" stuff.

IMG_1106.PNG

• Like 5

Recently moved. Not the best coverage over here in my area, but for the most part, most of the areas I visit are just fine... as evidence. It's clearly which ones are b41 and which are b25 or 26.

And the only ping above 60 was either b25 or 26. Not sure about all this, "not one below 60 ms ping" stuff.

That 147 might be the fastest speed test ever seen on any carrier.
  • Like 1

That 147 might be the fastest speed test ever seen on any carrier.

I've never seen reports of speeds that fast either. My fastest reported speed on LTE was a tick over 75, and that's nearly twice that! My fastest on WiFi was 199 down and 255 up (Google Fiber).
  • Like 2

I've never seen reports of speeds that fast either. My fastest reported speed on LTE was a tick over 75, and that's nearly twice that! My fastest on WiFi was 199 down and 255 up (Google Fiber).

Sprints "LTE Plus" is capable of well over 100 mbps. 147 is near the upper limit of the capabilities of B41 2xCA. 

-Anthony

• Like 3

I feel like one of the reasons why T-Mobile customers are on LTE so much is because most of T-Mobiles customers live in the city, where they have LTE coverage. Most rural customers probably have Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint, because T-Mobile was never worth a damn in rural areas (until recently). The other three more-or-less have signal in most rural areas, which, for Sprint, may or may not be LTE, which causes their on LTE percentages to drop a bit. T-Mobiles customers are in much greater numbers in city centers, whereas the other 3 cariers have a much more spread out customer base.

-Anthony

I think it's because in many areas T-Mobile built with a site density that was designed for GSM, which had a lesser range than CDMA on the same frequency and thus leads to better reliability/more time on LTE. Even in the podunk areas of California I frequent nowadays, I am on LTE almost all the time, and almost all the rest of the time I'm on HSPA+. I have no idea why, but Sprint seems to fall back to 3G really easily in my experience. That sad, you can be on T-Mobile LTE and get 0.01 down average speed ith full LTE. In that case, 3G would actually provide better service even though it's thought of as inferior, so there's always a lot of wiggle room with these tests. I don't think anyone expected Sprint to perform all that much better yet, another six months, if they keep up their current pace, might put them closer to T-Mobile, hopefully. 

But when i took speed test on Ookla ,Open signal and Sensorly results vary a lot,, all it matters is when you stream or browse  whether you getting good speeds or not.

Taken from same tower near  Conshocken PA,I-76 exit 343.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-GuboT6JDLpaWRJTHN4VWp0Rm8/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-GuboT6JDLpUmhCNnZJaWNhSUk/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-GuboT6JDLpOG5wWUduOGpieHM/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-GuboT6JDLpbHVYTHgtSW9qOWM/view?usp=sharing

But when i took speed test on Ookla ,Open signal and Sensorly results vary a lot,, all it matters is when you stream or browse  whether you getting good speeds or not.

Taken from same tower near  Conshocken PA,I-76 exit 343.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-GuboT6JDLpaWRJTHN4VWp0Rm8/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-GuboT6JDLpUmhCNnZJaWNhSUk/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-GuboT6JDLpOG5wWUduOGpieHM/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-GuboT6JDLpbHVYTHgtSW9qOWM/view?usp=sharing

The first one is an awesome snake. I have that as my wallpaper, or one of the many hundreds my background cycles through.