Verizon EVDO roaming now?

Always am issue? One site or several? Tried on multiple phones using Sprint ( not MVNO )? Roaming enabled prior while connect to Sprint site?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Same problem with Verizon here.  Everything shows like it is connected but no data what so ever.  Not even an MMS message will come through.  Any place I can look in the debug / engineering logs to see what the problem is?  Signal check shows as "connected" which is even stranger.

It's always an issue on Verizon. Haven't seen it on another Sprint phone since I'm the only one that ventures into roaming areas with Sprint. I'm on ED1500 so roaming should include 300 MB. Roaming has been enabled, so I don't think that's the issue. 1x or EVDO makes no difference, there's just no data.

It's very annoying because No Data = No MMS, which is a huge problem as I receive lots of group messages. I do have a BYOD device, so maybe that's the issue? Calls and SMS are fine, which is odd because back in the day roaming meant having a crap ton of missed calls but solid 1x data. Now it's no data, but reliable calls.

I'm not talking about slow data speeds, but no data at all. A connection fails to authenticate through both Verizon EVDO or 1x and I'm usually staring at an x on the signal bar. Verizon is likely not running low on capacity as they have dedicated their entire cellular spectrum to CDMA and EVDO.

I work for a tower construction company and I see our upcoming Verizon sites are starting to refarm their cellular band for LOC (LTE over Cellular)

• Like 2

It's there for now, but I'm telling you that the upcoming work I've seen for Verizon is removing all of the legacy cellular antennas on the site and replacing them with new antennas that are connected to newly installed RRH's operating using LTE not CDMA. The new sites are running 700, 850, 1900, and AWS (on a fully loaded site) on LTE. When we first started doing Verizon work a couple years ago, the jobs were installing 1900 on LTE and then later going back and incorporating AWS. Now as those finish up, we are replacing the legacy CDMA on 850 as they transition to purely LTE sites.

• Like 2

It's there for now, but I'm telling you that the upcoming work I've seen for Verizon is removing all of the legacy cellular antennas on the site and replacing them with new antennas that are connected to newly installed RRH's operating using LTE not CDMA. The new sites are running 700, 850, 1900, and AWS (on a fully loaded site) on LTE. When we first started doing Verizon work a couple years ago, the jobs were installing 1900 on LTE and then later going back and incorporating AWS. Now as those finish up, we are replacing the legacy CDMA on 850 as they transition to purely LTE sites.

And I'm not denying that. But that's not happening right now in my area so EVDO and 1x is widely available. I think the only 850 LTE I've seen is 5x5, so there is still enough spectrum available for CDMA.

I was roaming on Verizon evdo earlier today around Cadiz, OH on US 22. Still worked as remembered with google maps and text messages working, but not web browsing. I believe Google hangouts works but did not test it. I was getting web browsing and full 3g access in northern Minnesota in October.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I experience problems at times with my iPhone 6S.

but to follow up with one of the previous posters...In my market Verizon has completely refarmed PCS to LTE which is 15 MHz... Evdo and CDMA... Are all on 850 here..

but to follow up with one of the previous posters...In my market Verizon has completely refarmed PCS to LTE which is 15 MHz... Evdo and CDMA... Are all on 850 here..

Same story here in Seattle. 700, AWS and PCS are all completely LTE now. The only CDMA left is in the 800 band and even that is becoming hard to find because Verizon has started turning CDMA down completely on select sites. Additionally, new macros don't have CDMA at all.

Same story here in Seattle. 700, AWS and PCS are all completely LTE now. The only CDMA left is in the 800 band and even that is becoming hard to find because Verizon has started turning CDMA down completely on select sites. Additionally, new macros don't have CDMA at all.

Here CDMA is still very wide spread....And I do have Sprint Ting as a back up for when I go into Philadelphia where Verizon is semi spotty and also I have Verizon roaming on Ting...It works just fine

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Here CDMA is still very wide spread....And I do have Sprint Ting as a back up for when I go into Philadelphia where Verizon is semi spotty and also I have Verizon roaming on Ting...It works just fine

It could be Sprint that has eliminated some of the Verizon roaming. The next time you have roaming on Ting but not Sprint, go into debug If possible), then EVDO engineering and make a note of what channel is being used. This site will allow you to convert it to frequency: http://niviuk.free.fr/cdma_band.php Also note the some carriers are now using LTE in the same frequencies as their 3G (T-Mobile in NYC - not VoLTE which is a different matter).

Overall, usage of CDMA even on the Sprint network has dropped dramatically, based on logs I see.

It could be Sprint that has eliminated some of the Verizon roaming. The next time you have roaming on Ting but not Sprint, go into debug If possible), then EVDO engineering and make a note of what channel is being used. This site will allow you to convert it to frequency: http://niviuk.free.fr/cdma_band.php Also note the some carriers are now using LTE in the same frequencies as their 3G (T-Mobile in NYC - not VoLTE which is a different matter).

Overall, usage of CDMA even on the Sprint network has dropped dramatically, based on logs I see.

Yes sure I will do the best I can. I'm using a pixel XL for Ting so I m not sure if I can access the debug menu.. but I would with you though.. in Delaware where I go in August Verizon roaming has been axed in some areas.. it's now solid Sprint 3G coverage. I do know though where I live.. Verizon CDMA roaming is still active. But when I do go down to Delaware again I'll make notes for you guys and let you know what I saw

Just to be clear, the real issue would be in areas with no 3g at all for Sprint yet ting shows Verizon roaming or only Verizon phones work. No Verizon roaming with areas with good Sprint 3g coverage makes sense.

Just to be clear, the real issue would be in areas with no 3g at all for Sprint yet ting shows Verizon roaming or only Verizon phones work. No Verizon roaming with areas with good Sprint 3g coverage makes sense.

Okay when I get the chance I will check it out. On my block my Ting phone will room from time to time on Verizon. And my area with Sprint coverage is supposedly good. So it appears in this area Sprint has not cut off roaming with Verizon just yet

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No. Verizon roaming agreement is definitely still valid.

Okay because I read somewhere a couple years ago that was set to expire next year. And what's going to happen when Verizon shuts down CDMA?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk