LG G5 Rumor Thread (LG LS992)

PythonFanPA

No CAx3.

So disappointing. LG can no longer run with the big dogs.  Reduced to staying on the porch.  Samsung can prevent rooting with no LG competition on its S7/S7 Edge.  Without CAx3, the LG G5 will likely be a launch failure unless the VoLTE is actually implemented soon.

A failure because no CAx3? I think that's a bit much. [emoji18]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yeah, I don't think most people we even notice. But I was going to buy one and now am probably going to get the S7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No CAx3.

So disappointing. LG can no longer run with the big dogs. Reduced to staying on the porch. Samsung can prevent rooting with no LG competition on its S7/S7 Edge. Without CAx3, the LG G5 will likely be a launch failure unless the VoLTE is actually implemented soon.

For the people in these forums, yes it's a let down. For the rest of the world, really no one cares. 3xCA will not make or break the G5's sales. I think you're being a little extreme.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For the people in these forums, yes it's a let down. For the rest of the world, really no one cares. 3xCA will not make or break the G5's sales. I think you're being a little extreme.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I can see an issue when someone's at a store looking at the s7/7e and g5.

Such as when a potential customer goes "oh these phones can do the lte plus speeds up to 300 Mbps right?" and the sales person says the s7 can but g5 cannot.

That may impact things.

• Like 3

A failure because no CAx3? I think that's a bit much.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Flagship phones should support flagship network features.

• Like 1

Such as when a potential customer goes "oh these phones can do the lte plus speeds up to 300 Mbps right?" and the sales person says the s7 can but g5 cannot.

Do you think that scenario ever will play out in a store?  Doubtful.  Sprint will not advertise 300 Mbps peak speeds.  And the salesperson will not know the difference between 2x CA and 3x CA.

AJ

• Like 2

Possible LG advertisement on having two of the three B41 carriers ( ;)  not - from Mars Attacks):

Flagship phones should support flagship network features.

Absolutely. This is going to make a difficult decision for many customers who love audio, but also want the highest possible data speeds, as the LG G5 is going to have some incredible audio features to it, which are the DAC module and the built-in apt-X HD for Bluetooth. They'll have to decide which features are more important to them, which is not good for any company to make difficult for customer choice on expensive flagship devices. Sure, there can be competition in areas such as display, size, memory, etc., but when it comes to processing power and network quality, these devices should be fully featured with the best currently available.

However, may customers probably won't know about this either, which therefore is doubtful it'll hurt LG, unless the customer hears about it first. We'll see if the media really picks up on this or not..

No CAx3.

So disappointing. LG can no longer run with the big dogs.  Reduced to staying on the porch.  Samsung can prevent rooting with no LG competition on its S7/S7 Edge.  Without CAx3, the LG G5 will likely be a launch failure unless the VoLTE is actually implemented soon.

Is 3xCA going to be a reality within the next 2 years to be freaked out about it?  Sprint is still in the process of trying to turn up 2xCA due to the Wimax shutdown and backhaul availability to support those speeds so I doubt that 3xCA will be a reality within the next 2 years which is about the typical lifetime of a new smartphone.  Like others have said, the average user will not know the difference and by the time 3xCA can become a reality will probably be more 2017 than 2016.

The VoLTE feature seems like a nice thing to have but I am not sure what Sprint's stance on their VoLTE deployment schedule.  If its not going to be deployed for another 2 years then it seems kinda weird to add it to the G5 and not the GS7 if they really want to test it out.

• Like 1

Is 3xCA going to be a reality within the next 2 years to be freaked out about it?  Sprint is still in the process of trying to turn up 2xCA due to the Wimax shutdown and backhaul availability to support those speeds so I doubt that 3xCA will be a reality within the next 2 years which is about the typical lifetime of a new smartphone.  Like others have said, the average user will not know the difference and by the time 3xCA can become a reality will probably be more 2017 than 2016.

The VoLTE feature seems like a nice thing to have but I am not sure what Sprint's stance on their VoLTE deployment schedule.  If its not going to be deployed for another 2 years then it seems kinda weird to add it to the G5 and not the GS7 if they really want to test it out.

I think it is very likely that CAx3 will become a reality - no site work should be required.  It will require additional backhaul. It may not be universal but it should have significant impact.

VoLTE will likely require greater density.  This means Clearwire site conversions and small cells.  Sprint has a great plan, even has approval from Softbank, but no money yet.  Softbank seems to be inclined to spend money where Sprint has not expressed interest -- 600Mhz spectrum.  This could just be posturing or it could show doubts about Sprint's next generation network plan, hence delay of Volte implementation.

I agree that many customers will not notice.  Look at Apple without B41 for a long time.  Yet LG also has the heritage of the G2 -- one of the first working B41 LTE phones (ahead of the Nexus and others.)  A shame to lose this reputation. Reduced spend on high phones may leave them no choice.  Yet consumers need to know about the lack of CAx3, and given the reputation of the G2, will assume that it has it.  The tech press, dependent on advertising dollars, will likely say nothing.  Thus it falls to places like S4GRU.  I did contact LG before these posts and they would not admit or deny the lack of CAx3.

In the askdes video I just posted above, has me very worried about the release of the Bang & Olufsen HiFi Plus DAC module on the LG G5. Des showed the other announced modules, but not the DAC module I really want with the LG G5. That alone, is a make or break decision for me, which if not available by the time I'm able to purchase at least the international version of the Oppo R9, I'll likely get that instead, as there is an Amp/ DAC adapter already being sold by Oppo.

3xCA will be a reality within a matter of months, not years. 

• Like 1

But the specs on the B&H site, if they're accurate, don't include B26 or B41

Cellular Network

2G (CDMA/IS-95 ) Bands:800, 1900 

2.5G (EDGE, GSM/GPRS ) MHz:850, 900, 1800, 1900 

3G (CDMA2000, EV-DO ) MHz:800, 1900 

3.5G (HSPA+, UMTS/WCDMA ) MHz:850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 

4G (LTE ) Bands:2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 17, 20, 25

• Like 1

But the specs on the B&H site, if they're accurate, don't include B26 or B41

Cellular Network

2G (CDMA/IS-95 ) Bands:800, 1900 

2.5G (EDGE, GSM/GPRS ) MHz:850, 900, 1800, 1900 

3G (CDMA2000, EV-DO ) MHz:800, 1900 

3.5G (HSPA+, UMTS/WCDMA ) MHz:850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 

4G (LTE ) Bands:2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 17, 20, 25

Based on that, no band 30 2300mhz on AT&T. Disappointing.

No CAx3.

< . . . >

This morning, my speed test shows a better-than-average-for-my-area result: a ping of 38 ms, a download of 3.52 Mbps and an upload of 1.04 Mbps. Clearly, this is a bigger issue than CAx2 vs. CAx3.

I'll trade CAx3 for a removeable battery.

• Like 5

I would love to seen a screenshot of the G5 LTE debug screen. 

Well, I've had no luck trying to preorder the LG G5 from Best Buy for Sprint. Every time I try to add it to my cart as an upgrade (on-contract), it fails at the last step after verifying my eligibility and damage protection plan.

I guess I'll wait to see what deal Sprint offers direct...

I was reading this article here regarding the LG G5, which the part at the end really caught my attention in wanting to come post about it here :

http://phandroid.com/2016/03/22/lg-g5-cam-plus-module/

So far, there’s no release date for the LG Cam Plus on B&H, but we know the LG G5 is already gearing up for its big April 1st launch. Let’s just hope this entire phone isn’t some big elaborate prank.

Even though I'm planning to get the LG G5 and I doubt this is going to be the case, I really wouldn't mind if it were some big elaborate prank, to cover for the real LG G5, if there were to be a secretive device this current one we know is covering for.

Obviously, some form of LG G5 is going to be released in the next few weeks, but it would be nice if it were something different, something like the Vivo Xplay 5 Elite I just posted about in the Misc forum area. Something that has these extra features built-in-rather than being sold as extended modules that cost more money. LG shouldn't be charging so much for these modules, something they ought to realize by now they have to remain competitive with Samsung and LG G5's features are quite a bit less than Samsung's S7. The modules are going to make the G5, but not if they are prohibitively costly, making the LG G5 cost more than the Samsung S7. This is partly why I'd rather see LG come out with a real LG G5, one with equivalent or better camera features than the S7 built-in, along with built-in HiFi audio like in the V10 or like the DAC/Amp combination in the Vivo Xplay 5/Elite versions.

Also, what would make this absolutely grand, the introduction of a 5.5 - 6 inch RGB OLED display.