East Coast Snow Storm

joshuam

Roll call...who here is on the east coast about to be impacted by a massive snow storm?

I live northeast of Baltimore in Harford County (Bel Air)...we are in the "16-24 inch" zone right now. The worst of it looks to be closer to DC at this point, but the models have been shifting further and further north and east...so we shall see!

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/models/gfshires/20160121/12Z/f072/acc10_1snowconus.png

• Like 1

I'm in Alexandria and work in DC.  I went to Lowe's for supplies yesterday right as the flurry was starting.  It was a very treacherous drive home, since the roads weren't treated.

I'm tentatively planning to work from home tomorrow so I don't have to be out in it.

- Trip

• Like 1

The hype is building as predicted here in New Jersey. People are busy clearing out grocery stores and places like Lowes for bags of salt and shovels.

I probably should check our cars washer fluids though given how much they treat the roads.

It's gonna be great. We'll get maybe half an inch or so and the entire city will shut down for a week. At least I might get out of school for a couple days.

To everyone north of us: stay safe!

Harrisburg, VA?  I know where that is, about a 5 minute drive from my parents house.  It's an intersection with a handful of abandoned buildings.  :)

I'm not opposed to lots of snow, but I don't want a power outage.  Ready for it just in case, though...

- Trip

Harrisburg, VA?  I know where that is, about a 5 minute drive from my parents house.  It's an intersection with a handful of abandoned buildings.  :)

I'm not opposed to lots of snow, but I don't want a power outage.  Ready for it just in case, though...

- Trip

Haha... I meant to put in Harrisburg, PA. Then forgot to take off the VA one. 

• Like 1

I'm west of Richmond in the 12"-18" band. We literally just moved on Tuesday from a house back into an apartment so not too much I have to prepare. We went out and bought food, so I think we're set! Crossing our fingers that the electric stays on. Good luck, everyone!

My work (govt agency) is closing at 1pm tomorrow. I'm planning on bolting at noon to beat the rush. Someone might see 30" or more in this storm...we just don't know who yet. Lol

Well I think it's a pretty good bet for the Virgia Appalachians, but outside of that, yeah :P

Us folks who live in snowbelt regions see this several times year. We'd be in real trouble if folks panicked over 2' of snow and rolled up the sidewalks ;)

• Like 3

...aaaaand school is cancelled before we even see precipitation. Better than at 5am tomorrow I guess.

My classes tomorrow at UNCC got canceled already too. We're supposed to get "2-10" (yes, two to ten) inches of snow and 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ice.

-Anthony

• Like 1

Us folks who live in snowbelt regions see this several times year. We'd be in real trouble if folks panicked over 2' of snow and rolled up the sidewalks ;)

Yeah, 2' of snow here is a noteworthy annual occurrence. But nothing to cause a run on the Safeway. We get 2'-3' drifts every time it snows 6" or more. But not everyone lives in the Upper Plains Tundra.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think it's funny every time things get shut down over an unreliable weather forecast. I like the storms that are unexpected, we've had 22" of snow fall in one night before completely out of the blue (thank you lake effect) and we dug out and moved on as if it were 2". But god forbid the weatherman forecast anywhere near 24" and then it's all doom and gloom...

Baltimore, MD (Roland Park). This will be the first major snow storm in about 7 years that I won't be out working in it.

Shentel's cell sites are about to get totally buried.  The I-81 corridor from Virginia, through West Virginia, Maryland and Central Pennsylvania is getting hit right now.  20-30 inches predicted.

I am in the middle of it and have 15 gallons of gasoline for a generator & big snow blower. I have some charged external power packs for the Android phones too. It is snowing like crazy and I am in a nice warm house and intend to staying there for about 36 hours.