Major coverage map update 2016/01/10

JWMaloney

Looking at their website maps as well as officially launched markets, Phoenix is listed as LTE+, and the map states "Enjoy speeds delivered by Sprints new tri-band network." However I know for a fact that Phoenix doesn't have an ounce of B26 since it is currently in legal battles because Maricopa County uses it for public safety and maps show there are none.

Looking at their website maps as well as officially launched markets, Phoenix is listed as LTE+, and the map states "Enjoy speeds delivered by Sprints new tri-band network." However I know for a fact that Phoenix doesn't have an ounce of B26 since it is currently in legal battles because Maricopa County uses it for public safety and maps show there are none.

LTE+ coverage is B41. LTE+ is all about B41 speeds. B26 is for coverage. Sprint markets the goodness of B26 coverage loosely when they promote LTE+. However, LTE+ is only B41 coverage. Which is available throughout the Phoenix metro. B26 is not required for LTE+.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

LTE+ coverage is B41. LTE+ is all about B41 speeds. B26 is for coverage. Sprint markets the goodness of B26 coverage loosely when they promote LTE+. However, LTE+ is only B41 coverage. Which is available throughout the Phoenix metro. B26 is not required for LTE+.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

I define LTE+ more broadly to include B25 10x10 and B25 second carrier, both of which have been spreading through Sprint markets like wildfire.   They are done on an as needed and as available basis.  They have been done in markets where our calculations did not think probable, yet no anecdotal evidence of an increase in dropped calls has been observed.  This augmentation of B25 has especially been favored in places without B26 because of IBEZ.  In the end, it is about putting bandwidth where needed.  Sprint is now much more surgical in its approach.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody else noticed that the Sprint coverage map no longer shows the current date under it?  For me (at least), it now says "Coverage updated on:  1/10/16"

Has anybody else noticed that the Sprint coverage map no longer shows the current date under it? For me (at least), it now says "Coverage updated on: 1/10/16"

Yea I noticed the same thing last night. I think they're doing something with the maps...maybe something to do with the new coverage we're seeing in the Dakotas/Montana/Alaska?

Has anybody else noticed that the Sprint coverage map no longer shows the current date under it?  For me (at least), it now says "Coverage updated on:  1/10/16"

Yea I noticed the same thing last night. I think they're doing something with the maps...maybe something to do with the new coverage we're seeing in the Dakotas/Montana/Alaska?

It was most likely a glitch causing it to show the current date. The last time there was actually a coverage update was 1-10-16, so that part of the page now accurately reflects that. 

It was most likely a glitch causing it to show the current date. The last time there was actually a coverage update was 1-10-16, so that part of the page now accurately reflects that.

It also says copyright OpenStreetMap which is new

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa, has anybody seen the new "yellow" Sprint coverage map.

In Cleveland at least, there seems to be less "LTE Plus" coverage.

Woa, that is loud. Hurts the eyes at this hour. 

It makes the three gee only areas not look so bad as an added bonus for Sprint. 

We do not have LTE+ here so I had to travel on the map to an area that does and it seems stand out fairly better. 

It produced a kind of artifact so I am guessing a work in progress maybe, so I can't comment on coverage difference though. Unless we have some killer propagation stoppers around the state line.

pic related

http://imgur.com/oZS1z6T

WTF are they thinking. Why would they ever push this to production!? They must have a fresh intern working on this or something???

Yes, lets change the color to different shades of yellow! Make it impossible to tell what is what. On these poo poo TN Lenovo monitors I have to use at work, it literally looks like a single shade of yellow. I have to go off angle viewing to see the difference in shade of yellow.

Maybe whoever edited this has an awesome monitor for color/contrast accuracy so during the changes it might have looked great on their monitor, but forgot to think about the poopoo average monitors most people use.

• Like 1

The gradients are whack. Dark yellow for fair LTE then light yellow for good LTE... then back to dark yellow for fair LTE plus and light yellow for good LTE plus. So it's impossible to differentiate between LTE and LTE plus. Which might be good for Sprint on the surface but is really confusing. If it were a smooth gradient from really light yellow to yellow to dark yellow to really dark yellow it could work, but at the moment it's kinda weird.

That aside, it looks a little less pixelated which is kinda nice I guess.

• Like 1

The gradients are whack. Dark yellow for fair LTE then light yellow for good LTE... then back to dark yellow for fair LTE plus and light yellow for good LTE plus. So it's impossible to differentiate between LTE and LTE plus. Which might be good for Sprint on the surface but is really confusing. If it were a smooth gradient from really light yellow to yellow to dark yellow to really dark yellow it could work, but at the moment it's kinda weird.

That aside, it looks a little less pixelated which is kinda nice I guess.

Those gradients won't work.  On this monitor I can't see "really light yellow", it almost appears white and I can barely see "yellow" let a lot be able to read it.  The darks are easy to see and read but then those look more like brown, lol. 

Most people will have poo monitors and get similar results to me.  Surrounded by gray and white those light yellows won't really stand out very well. 

• Like 1

Those gradients won't work.  On this monitor I can't see "really light yellow", it almost appears white and I can barely see "yellow" let a lot be able to read it.  The darks are easy to see and read but then those look more like brown, lol. 

Most people will have poo monitors and get similar results to me.  Surrounded by gray and white those light yellows won't really stand out very well. 

I can hardly see the light yellow on mine too :P

I used those colors because that's what the forum software had. Actually, thisthisthis, and this would probably be better, but you're right that it just ends up looking brown and red. Too bad Sprint's corporate colors suck from a palette diversity standpoint. They should go back to red.

• Like 1

3 words for the update.

This. Sucks. (Insert your choice of naughty word here).

I was going to reference a towers LTE broadcast and I thought the controls were out of whack because I didn't see any purple... that map is now an eye sore more than it is a helpful reference tool.

• Like 1