802.11ah in 900 MHz HaLow Wi-Fi Advancements

Ascertion

Looks like WiFi AC is already going to be behind the curve.  WiFi ah will be the new standard.  Utilized on the 900Mhz network.  I'm very excited about this.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/04/new-wifi-standard-gives-more-range-with-less-power/

Does anyone know what kind of household items would interfere with 900Mhz?  For example, I know microwave ovens create interference with 2.4Ghz networks.

• Like 2

I can't think of anything in my house that uses 900mhz right now. This would be good for where I live right now because we have a fairly large house that our router has a hard time penetrating through all the walls. That and the next door neighbor is a couple acres away, so we shouldn't too much interference on that front. Now, my girlfriend living in the city of Richmond, VA is another story. I'm kind of exited to see how this plays out. I know baby monitors use 900mhz, but what else does exactly? I can't even think of much.

• Like 1

My parents' WISP is on 900 MHz.  And there's tons of interference in the band; I can't imagine this helping that any.

- Trip

WISP is using that cause there probably isn't much congestion if any. 

I can see congestion being an issue depending on where you live, just like 2.4GHz.  But overall nice to get 26MHz of free lowband WiFi. 

• Like 1

No, the WISP is using it because the gear was cheap on eBay.  They keep changing frequencies to try to avoid interference, which also keeps moving around.

- Trip

• Like 1

The 900 mhz range is super congested. I'd be curious how it would perform.

Not that congested anymore.  The bloat always moves upward.

Higher frequency = better, at least in the minds of typical, stupid, number-obsessed Americans.  Look at 5.8 GHz cordless landline phones...  Garbage is an understatement, but newer phones, which work in the 1800-1900 MHz range, are sold as "DECT 6.0" to basically trick the idiots.

Basically, the VHF (40-50MHz) public spectrum gave way to 900, which gave way to 2400, and now 5800 for certain things.  Each time a new, higher band is introduced, lots of the things that populated the previous "popular" band tend to abandon it to jump on the high frequency bandwagon.

I still use a 900MHz DSSS cordless phone and run into zero interference issues, and quite like the ability to walk around a decent portion of my subdivision with it.

• Like 1

The only system communicating on 900 Mhz in my house is the Honeywell Prestige thermostat, its wireless temperature sensor, and the Redlink internet gateway it attaches to for web access. That's essentially what 900 Mhz continues to be used for these days. I also have a late 90s vintage Uniden cordless phone that runs on 900 Mhz but I don't use it in favor of the newer 1900 Mhz "DECT 6.0" Panasonic phones with caller ID and much better sound quality.

Looks like WiFi AC is already going to be behind the curve. WiFi ah will be the new standard. Utilized on the 900Mhz network. I'm very excited about this.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/04/new-wifi-standard-gives-more-range-with-less-power/

Does anyone know what kind of household items would interfere with 900Mhz? For example, I know microwave ovens create interference with 2.4Ghz networks.

Everything known to God interferes with 900. Pagers, smart meters, SCADA, sometimes mobile wireless, some fixed wireless, cordless phones, baby monitors, door openers, etc., etc.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I can see congestion being an issue depending on where you live, just like 2.4GHz. But overall nice to get 26MHz of free lowband WiFi.

900 MHz congestion is almost universal.

No, the WISP is using it because the gear was cheap on eBay. They keep changing frequencies to try to avoid interference, which also keeps moving around.

- Trip

900 MHz gear usually isn't any cheaper than 2.4 or 5 GHz gear. It is tremendously better at foliage penetration, though.