S4GRU Teaser Discussion

Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt., this is not aimed directly at you, though I certainly do want to attend to some of your honest concerns. More so, however, I want to address this to all S4GRU participants so that we can all come to a greater respect for both sides of the content creation/consumption relationship.

Robert, the other contributors, and I work numerous hours researching, writing, and now even gathering data in the field. We do it for no pay. In fact, some of us do it for a net monetary loss. I know that Robert has reached into his own pocket to bring S4GRU to everyone, and I plunked down $1700 for a spectrum analyzer in large part for the advantages that it would give S4GRU in field research. So, we the contributors certainly do not do this for the money. Rather, we do this for elucidation and enjoyment -- both yours and ours. With that in mind, please forgive if we occasionally try to build some intrigue and anticipation -- yes, you can even call it a tongue in cheek "tease" -- for our hard work yet to come.

That said, I want to propose an idea, something of a compromise. Interspersed among the usual feature length articles, would you appreciate shorter, paragraph length articles that Robert, the other contributors, and I could write more readily and post to The Wall more frequently? For example, the removable SIM card roll out is little more than a bullet point within a date range on the Network Vision Roadmap. Right now, that is about all that we know -- not enough to warrant a full length article. But such could be worked into a paragraph length article about how removable SIM cards should be coming but not in the initial LTE handsets.

Robert, Sgt., and all other interested or involved parties, what are your thoughts? (And, moderators, if you want to move this to a more topical thread, feel free to do so.)

AJ

• Like 2

I have to agree with the Sarge. You have this information you are lording over our heads like we're not worthy. Best not to mention it maybe until your ready to talk about it. Just sayin' it might keep the masses at bay.

I have settled this with Sarge, but obviously I need to go over it again publicly. We obviously think you are worthy, we are giving you some advanced heads up. We often give our members some advance information. It's one of the advantages of membership. It was the purposes of the chats.

I'm probably not in the right mood tonight to have this discussion. I am so frustrated with many other things that I will likely take it out on some of you improperly. What you guys are doing, and you may not be meaning to, but what you will do with comments like this is make me second guess every darn thing I want to tell you about.

In reality, I'm sure you all want to know what we know. But if I have to go around thinking, "before I mention this internal info, I wonder what people like Mofus and Sarge will think about it? I better just sit on it." Then you guys are going to end up with a lot less info overall. You want the guy who is leaking information to be an open spigot. Where you get anything and everything you can.

I personally wouldn't want to discourage anyone with any inside information to be quiet. But that's just me. I don't make any commands or suggestions to my sources with any information they bring me. I just sit and listen.

Robert

I have settled this with Sarge, but obviously I need to go over it again publicly. We obviously think you are worthy, we are giving you some advanced heads up. We often give our members some advance information. It's one of the advantages of membership. It was the purposes of the chats.

I'm probably not in the right mood tonight to have this discussion. I am so frustrated with many other things that I will likely take it out on some of you improperly. What you guys are doing, and you may not be meaning to, but what you will do with comments like this is make me second guess every darn thing I want to tell you about.

In reality, I'm sure you all want to know what we know. But if I have to go around thinking, "before I mention this internal info, I wonder what people like Mofus and Sarge will think about it? I better just sit on it." Then you guys are going to end up with a lot less info overall. You want the guy who is leaking information to be an open spigot. Where you get anything and everything you can.

I personally wouldn't want to discourage anyone with any inside information to be quiet. But that's just me. I don't make any commands or suggestions to my sources with any information they bring me. I just sit and listen.

Robert

And we appreciate all the hard work that you and the other Authors are doing Robert. Keep up the good work. :)

• Like 2

That said, I want to propose an idea, something of a compromise. Interspersed among the usual feature length articles, would you appreciate shorter, paragraph length articles that Robert, the other contributors, and I could write more readily and post to The Wall more frequently? For example, the removable SIM card roll out is little more than a bullet point within a date range on the Network Vision Roadmap. Right now, that is about all that we know -- not enough to warrant a full length article. But such could be worked into a paragraph length article about how removable SIM cards should be coming but not in the initial LTE handsets.

Robert, Sgt., and all other interested or involved parties, what are your thoughts? (And, moderators, if you want to move this to a more topical thread, feel free to do so.)

AJ

Love that idea actually!

Create a little bullet post and let the discussion flow from there on it for things like that.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Wow this thread has evolved from talking about the HTC Evo 4G LTE phone to something else. Based on the last few pages of the thread it seems like there are 3 things to be excited about hopefully in the future and that is:

1) Additional 5x5 LTE carrier in the PCS A-F blocks

2) Removable SIM cards for LTE.

3) LTE at 800 MHz should be deploying before 2014.

I look forward to hearing more from Robert and AJ on these 3 topics. On a side note, I am still curious though if the LG Viper and the Galaxy Nexus will be using embedded SIMs or removable SIMs.

I have created this thread to move some posts that overtook the EVO thread. They deserve a home in the Suggestion Box thread instead of being a distraction to poor people wanting to discuss the EVO. :lol:

Robert

• Like 4

I have created this thread to move some posts that overtook the EVO thread. They deserve a home in the Suggestion Box thread instead of being a distraction to poor people wanting to discuss the EVO. :lol:

Robert

Great idea Robert. Sometimes we get carried away in the other threads.

Sgt., this is not aimed directly at you, though I certainly do want to attend to some of your honest concerns. More so, however, I want to address this to all S4GRU participants so that we can all come to a greater respect for both sides of the content creation/consumption relationship.

Robert, the other contributors, and I work numerous hours researching, writing, and now even gathering data in the field. We do it for no pay. In fact, some of us do it for a net monetary loss. I know that Robert has reached into his own pocket to bring S4GRU to everyone, and I plunked down $1700 for a spectrum analyzer in large part for the advantages that it would give S4GRU in field research. So, we the contributors certainly do not do this for the money. Rather, we do this for elucidation and enjoyment -- both yours and ours. With that in mind, please forgive if we occasionally try to build some intrigue and anticipation -- yes, you can even call it a tongue in cheek "tease" -- for our hard work yet to come.

AJ

I do think that the shorter, one or two paragraph article idea could be a compromise and could work. It would deal with a lot of these info nuggets that we get. I had considered it before, but so many sites broadcast these short nuggets (especially BGR), and I have kind of despised this kind of reporting.

When I go to these news tech sites with short stories, I always get frustrated. I want details! So I have always tried to sit and hold stories for something that can make a comprehensive and detailed article. But AJ is right. We are sitting on a dozen nuggets of info that you all would love to know about, but would not fit into a conventional S4GRU article.

I think we have high standards of our writers. We produce much deeper and meatier articles than anyone else. So, whatever we end up doing here, I never want to lose that.

Robert

• Like 3

How about a compilation article specifically on the small nuggets from time to time, instead of posting the smaller nuggets as they come?

I love that you guys give us so much details when you post articles as well.

Or a sticky thread in the sponsor forum?

I'll throw in my two cents.

I think it's absolutely amazing what this site has turned into (really the only place you can actually get good info).

It is easy to forget how hard it is writing articles, posting info, etc. I can only read and ask questions, try to learn, help others, etc. I think any format that you want to share information is positive. If it is two bullets, that's awesome. Frankly, we are here to learn about what Sprint is up to - and I'll take it in any way I can get it.

My only issue is the sponsor section. I understand the costs associated with the website are large but it just seems like it really goes against what S4GRU is about by sharing "better" information with those that can pay for it and "the rest" of information for those that can't. I really wish there was a way to change that.

Otherwise, I very much enjoy reading what you guys have to say.

I have a feeling 95% of our readers disagree with you. We are telling you a little advanced information about articles we are planning and you are telling us you can't handle it??? You'd prefer to know nothing until we are ready to tell everything?

Robert

Thank you Robert and AJ I 100% agree with you.

I like how the site has evolved, but on the other hand I know how hard Robert works and to add extra work because one member doesn't like getting extra details would be extremely worry some.

Keep up the good work, and keep giving what information you can.

• Like 1

I'll throw in my two cents.

I think it's absolutely amazing what this site has turned into (really the only place you can actually get good info).

It is easy to forget how hard it is writing articles' date=' posting info, etc. I can only read and ask questions, try to learn, help others, etc. I think any format that you want to share information is positive. If it is two bullets, that's awesome. Frankly, we are here to learn about what Sprint is up to - and I'll take it in any way I can get it.

My only issue is the sponsor section. I understand the costs associated with the website are large but it just seems like it really goes against what S4GRU is about by sharing "better" information with those that can pay for it and "the rest" of information for those that can't. I really wish there was a way to change that.

Otherwise, I very much enjoy reading what you guys have to say.[/quote']

Sites like this and the countless hours, and the time Robert spends doing this for us.

Information like this needs to be valued putting it in the sponsored section does that.

AJ & Robert have spent alot of time and money, at least we can do is support them with donations when we can.

We don't want this so be Su.com

• Like 2

How about a compilation article specifically on the small nuggets from time to time, instead of posting the smaller nuggets as they come?

I love that you guys give us so much details when you post articles as well.

that would involve sitting on the info which is something Robert wants to avoid really...

I really like the little bullet posts as itll just allow users to discuss and speculate away on little info provided...it wont be like other news sites where they post it up on their main page as huge breaking stuff but will be more of a early view of some things seen in the pipeline, and give us time to chit chat and discuss it some...

Then once there is a time down the road that a ton more info on the bullet is provided to you, maybe then write a full blown article...Articles should be reserved for stuff that has a ton of info in detail imho.

Using the bulliten's will differentiate you from what other sites do as it wont be posted main stream there and just be like a regular forum topic but centralized in a sense...

that would involve sitting on the info which is something Robert wants to avoid really...

But when you look at it though, these guys are always sitting on information that the rest of us wouldn't have a clue about.

• Like 1

Well what else do you suggest? The information thats available in the sponsor section is something Robert doesn't even have to do. Most of us who donated had already done so before there was even a sponsor section. I can't speak for anyone else but when I donate I don't do so to get benefits from this site I donate to say thank you S4GRU for what you are doing for the geek inside me and when S4GRU wants to say you are very welcome, how else are they suppose to do that other than giving us something exclusive? In either case though, this website has a wealth of information that can be accessed with out having to donate a single penny.

• Like 3

But when you look at it though, these guys are always sitting on information that the rest of us wouldn't have a clue about.

I know they sit on info as they have to, in order to verify stuff and be sure before sticking their neck out on it.

Comment was really at the point of like when they have info they want to/can share like the SIM card stuff and 5x5MHz LTE but isn't enough for a whole article...If they are dying/ready to share and feel its worthy to start the discussion/speculation on the info, I say post it in bulletin and let the discussion/speculation flow from there.

Putting a bunch of the little tid bits in one article would be crazy discussing them in the comments there.

Just personal preference by me to have each tidbit be its own little one to make the conversation on each easier to follow and keep up with. Of course grouping some together when they relate to each other though...

Ehh I usually am not a fan of the whole pay for info scheme but in reality its not like how most other places do it. Its not like the sponsors section gets early access to articles and info posted later like the EVO 4G LTE being announced and such. The main and only info there is such that takes Robert and others countless hours to put together on a map, and in that respect I completely understand and agree with it.

Also it helps out with Robert on costs of the site! I'm honestly glad that this place isn't like MANY other sites where there is an ad every 2inches bogging down the browsing...

• Like 2

Today is a really busy day for me, so I will be scarce. I am busy dealing with my real job. But I do want to say I appreciate the feedback.

I believe the sponsorship method is superior to advertising in several respects. And we reward sponsors, especially our premier sponsors.

We had sponsors and premier sponsors before we had sections for them. The chief reasons for content in sponsor sections is not revenue generation, but content protection. The type of stuff in our protected areas CANNOT be published publicly. I wanted to bring you all some of this great content I have, but it needs to be to a smaller and more manageable pool of people. I would never publish a site by site NV schedule publicly. It would be chaos and Sprint would likely shut us down.

I am not a cruel and heartless capitalist. S4GRU was funded out of my pocket for almost a year before I received our first donation. We broke even the first time at the end of February. Our cash reserves equal the increased cost of our growth projections over the next 90 days. I have given lots of complimentary upgrades for people who help us. Even for sob stories I get by PM. I also have a few IOU's.

I need to get to the capitol now for meetings. I will check back in tonight.

Robert

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Today is a really busy day for me, so I will be scarce. I am busy dealing with my real job. But I do want to say I appreciate the feedback.

I believe the sponsorship method is superior to advertising in several respects. And we reward sponsors, especially our premier sponsors.

We had sponsors and premier sponsors before we had sections for them. The chief reasons for content in sponsor sections is not revenue generation, but content protection. The type of stuff in our protected areas CANNOT be published publicly. I wanted to bring you all some of this great content I have, but it needs to be to a smaller and more manageable pool of people. I would never publish a site by site NV schedule publicly. It would be chaos and Sprint would likely shut us down.

I am not a cruel and heartless capitalist. S4GRU was funded out of my pocket for almost a year before I received our first donation. We broke even the first time at the end of February. Our cash reserves equal the increased cost of our growth projections over the next 90 days. I have given lots of complimentary upgrades for people who help us. Even for sob stories I get by PM. I also have a few IOU's.

I need to get to the capitol now for meetings. I will check back in tonight.

Robert

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

Thank you working on this site.

As far as donations I prefer it much more than the site filled with advertisements and for those complaining about the additional content a small donation (even few dollar a month) is more than reasonable if you can't donate fine there is still boatloads of content on this site (more than any I have found) the sponsor content is really for the extreme geeks among us and if you cant afford a few dollar donation the information will be of little use to you anyway as surly you cannot afford the latest LTE enabled phone or unlimited data plan

I prefer to donate to the site than have ads all over. And not only do ads slow down the browsing experience, but it introduces a way for spyware to be added to your personal computer if someone hacks into this website or to your computer thru an ad. Sponsorship of this site is the best option we have.

Sent from Joshs Evo Shift using Forum Runner

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Advertisements > Premium access

Premium access goes against everything a forum is about and is why it rarely works. IMO if there was anything holding this community back (unlikely) it is the fact there is a premium tier. I can't speak from experience as I am not a premium member so I'll have to trust and take your words on it but.. A premium tier/private sub-forum model often leads to empty threads and decreased activity from premium members in public threads. If this is not the case then it often leads to overly necessary moderation and confusing forum rules. Often times the stresses of such a model aren't truly felt until traffics affords it BUT it is possible as this is currently a niche community it may never happen.

I'd recommend a combination of tastefully placed advertisements and shameless plugs for donations. There is still room for a premium tier if the community demands such a thing and I could provide a great working example privately if necessary. :tu:

Edited by tech

Advertisements > Premium access

I will let Robert provide the definitive clarification, but my understanding is that S4GRU cannot be an advertising supported web site for several reasons:

• Many of S4GRU's sources, who provide us with invaluable data about Sprint's Network Vision deployment, would not provide info to a commercial web site.
  • A for-profit venture -- or even the perception of a for-profit venture -- could leave S4GRU far more vulnerable to legal action from Sprint.
  • Based on our web traffic levels, S4GRU could not sustain itself on advertising. To use your conceit: S4GRU's costs > S4GRU's potential ad revenue

AJ

• Like 3

Odd this topic came back from the dead after half a year.

Im just a newbie here but Robert really summed up the most important part of the argument to me here:

" I wanted to bring you all some of this great content I have, but it needs to be to a smaller and more manageable pool of people. I would never publish a site by site NV schedule publicly. It would be chaos and Sprint would likely shut us down."

If S4GRU went add supported the site as we know it would end if not by being directly shut down then by content not being made available for fear of being hounded by those who would like to spoon feed us only what is in their best interest at the moment.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I will let Robert provide the definitive clarification, but my understanding is that S4GRU cannot be an advertising supported web site for several reasons:

• Many of S4GRU's sources, who provide us with invaluable data about Sprint's Network Vision deployment, would not provide info to a commercial web site.
  • A for-profit venture -- or even the perception of a for-profit venture -- could leave S4GRU far more vulnerable to legal action from Sprint.
  • Based on our web traffic levels, S4GRU could not sustain itself on advertising. To use your conceit: S4GRU's costs > S4GRU's potential ad revenue

AJ

After reading the second point, I'm left with the impression that sprint doesn't really like S4GRU... Do they?