Samsung Galaxy S7 Rumors thread

bitslizer

I am going to go pre-order at a sprint store later today. I will let you all know how it goes.

Best Buy is better if you have one.

Free 64gb Evo+ 90mb/sec SD Card.

Also, if you buy it through Sprint you need to submit for the Gear VR through the Samsung Website.  With Best Buy it should come when the device is delivered.

Edited by jnadke

Also, if you buy it through Sprint you need to submit for the Gear VR through the Samsung Website.  With Best Buy it should come when the device is delivered.

My online contract renewal and purchase at Sprint indicates that Sprint is shipping the Gear VR as part of the purchase but in a separate shipment.

A table is displayed showing ship dates and the Gear VR is displayed as a distinct device purchase.  It may be other carriers doing it the way you describe.

Table says phone ships by 3/7 and Gear VR ships by 3/11.

Sam's Club has the S7Edge in Silver and the S7 in Black/Gold + $100 Gift Card

(Not sure if the silver is right since supposedly US was only getting Black/Gold)

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/pagedetails/content.jsp?pageName=samsung-gs7-preorder

I just reserved the S7 in black at Sams. But I am looking to pay full price and wish they showed the prices there. From what I can see at Sprint its $650, but both Target and Best Buy are showing $699. Sams does not have any pricing information.

Since this is both T-Mobile related and Samsung Galaxy S7 related, I'll post this in both forum sections, not trying to violate double posting policies, but this is information I think is relevant for both areas.

I pre-ordered the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge through T-Mobile Executive Relations, whom were able to give me the Jump On Demand program for it. The important aspect to this I've read a lot of questions about online, which I thought would be important to mention here, is that the Gear VR and free year of Netflix is included with Jump On Demand, making it a very good deal!

I've got my Onyx Black S7 Edge pre-ordered!

I also got to play with the device!

The lady at Best Buy was setting up their display for tomorrow.  She asked if I wanted to play with it.  Of course I said yes! (she hadn't even started the stupid promo animation yet)

1)  The Edge is a lot more comfortable than with the GS6.  I feel like the screen "Edge" of the front display has a sharper transition, you can use more of the screen.  It also had visibly less glare than the S6 at the edges (I couldn't notice any at all).

2)  The device is VERY FAST!  No lag, no stutter.  Buttery smooth.

3)  The screen is very bright.  And very nice.  I saw a report today saying its Samsung's brightest-capable (and most accurate color) screen yet, and I believe it.  Something like 850 nits of brightness at its max.

Overall, unlike the S6 Edge, it fits a lot better in the hand and I have no problem gripping the device without interfering with the screen.

Also, my fears were confirmed.  The device she had was Gold and it was very bling and distracting, almost to the point of being gaudy.  Fortunately the screen was bright enough to outshine it!

Edited by jnadke
  • Like 3

Thanks for the details, I ordered mine earlier today, first time pre-ordering a device without seeing it in hand first. Looking forward to trying it out.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Every Best Buy should have them on display to play with starting tomorrow.

But yeah, the Gold is very much a gold color, but it's reflective and gives off a rainbow effect easily under light.

Best Buy also had no problems processing my "Alternate Upgrade" stealing the 2-year upgrade from another line.  She knew exactly what I meant when I mentioned Alternate Upgrade.

Edited by jnadke
  • Like 3

I've got my Onyx Black S7 Edge pre-ordered!

I also got to play with the device!

The lady at Best Buy was setting up their display for tomorrow. She asked if I wanted to play with it. Of course I said yes! (she hadn't even started the stupid promo animation yet)

1) The Edge is a lot more comfortable than with the GS6. I feel like the screen "Edge" of the front display has a sharper transition, you can use more of the screen. It also had visibly less glare than the S6 at the edges (I couldn't notice any at all).

2) The device is VERY FAST! No lag, no stutter. Buttery smooth.

3) The screen is very bright. And very nice. I saw a report today saying its Samsung's brightest-capable (and most accurate color) screen yet, and I believe it. Something like 850 nits of brightness at its max.

Overall, unlike the S6 Edge, it fits a lot better in the hand and I have no problem gripping the device without interfering with the screen.

Also, my fears were confirmed. The device she had was Gold and it was very bling and distracting, almost to the point of being gaudy. Fortunately the screen was bright enough to outshine it!

I'm butterfingers hard on phones. It's going into a speck candy shell grip case again. I got a black, but another color wouldn't make a diff in the case.

If anyone can make it lag, it's me.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Looks like the multi-tasking is much better vs the Galaxy S6 and Note 5.

The first real nitty gritty honest hands-on I've seen that doesn't rehash everything Samsung said on stage.

tl;dr:  It seems favorable, and reaffirms what I said that the S7 Edge is very comfortable to hold and probably the better device.

Edited by jnadke
  • Like 1

As someone said, with Sprint you get the VR headset with the phone. I confirmed that at the store.

It was very easy to pre-order it as well. Went in saying I wanted to upgrade, gave my number and how I wanted to pay for it. Took no more than 5 minutes.

I walked in to Best Buy today with the intention of preordering the S7 Edge in silver titanium but ended up ordering the black onyx instead (I dislike black phones in general). The Samsung rep let me play around with both the black & silver models (untethered) and I found the silver models to be too appliance-like and cheap-looking. I thought my S6E gold platinum was a bit too gaudy but the silver titanium was even worse. And a huge fingerprint magnet despite being lighter colored.

I'm really bummed that there isn't a white color option at this time.

As for the design and feel, the S7E felt great & looked stunning. With curves on both the front & back, the phone is easier to grip and with smoother curves going toward the frame, the harsh edge causing slight discomfort is no longer an issue.

I had to upgrade via the alternate line method b/c Sprint's early upgrade authorization wasn't visible on the Best Buy system. I'm gonna cancel my Best Buy preorder & upgrade at a Sprint store so I don't take up someone's upgrade and so I can release my S6E from its current contract. That way, I can sell my S6E now rather than waiting until March of 2017.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

There's a video of the colors here:

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-color-comparison-675857/

Gold makes me nervous.  It looks highly reflective and might be distracting, especially inside the Galaxy Gear VR if screen light bounces around (I've never used one before).

I really like the gold color which is what I have on the s6e, won't go for the same color again so I went with the silver s7e and got my wife the s7e in gold.

My online contract renewal and purchase at Sprint indicates that Sprint is shipping the Gear VR as part of the purchase but in a separate shipment.

A table is displayed showing ship dates and the Gear VR is displayed as a distinct device purchase.  It may be other carriers doing it the way you describe.

Table says phone ships by 3/7 and Gear VR ships by 3/11.

Says the exact same thing for me.

There's a tracking number on my Gear VR.  It'll be here tomorrow.

No such luck on the phone yet.

Tracked via http//www.sprint.com/myorder

They did NOT send an email at time of shipment like they did for the order receipt and acceptance.

It is not likely that I missed it to spam because all of the other emails came through fine.

I did notice that the two were worded slightly differently:

• Samsung Galaxy S7 edge-All colors: Ships as early as 3/7

• Samsung Gear VR Headset: Ships by 3/11

The phones will be held until the release date, and the Gear VR is under no such restriction.

I had to upgrade via the alternate line method b/c Sprint's early upgrade authorization wasn't visible on the Best Buy system. I'm gonna cancel my Best Buy preorder & upgrade at a Sprint store so I don't take up someone's upgrade and so I can release my S6E from its current contract. That way, I can sell my S6E now rather than waiting until March of 2017.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Did you buy out your contract?

Sprint online has a habit of telling you you're eligible when in reality they're referring to a 2-year lease.

All that matters is when you click on Contract Details it says you're done (or within 4 months).

A couple cool [important!] features Samsung didn't talk about, strangely:

http://displaymate.com/Galaxy_S7_ShootOut_1.htm

AMOLED Photo Screen Mode with a Very Accurate Adobe RGB Color Gamut

Most high-end digital cameras have an option to use the Adobe RGB Color Gamut, which is 17 percent larger than the Standard sRGB / Rec.709 Color Gamut used in consumer cameras. The AMOLED Photo screen mode on the Galaxy S7 provides a very accurate calibration to the Adobe RGB standard, which is rarely available in consumers displays, and is very useful for high-end digital photography and other advanced imaging applications.

The measured Absolute Color Accuracy of the AMOLED Photo screen mode for the Galaxy S7 is 1.6 JNCD, which is very high color accuracy.

Interactive Personalized Automatic Brightness that Works Well

The Galaxy S7 has a new interactive Personalized Automatic Brightness Control that learns and stores the display brightness settings that you make for varying ambient light levels, so from then on you get your own customized personal visual brightness preferences instead of some pre-programmed manufacturer settings found in other smartphones, tablets, and TVs. It is the first smartphone, tablet, or TV to do Automatic Brightness correctly. When Automatic Brightness is turned On (under Display Settings), if you adjust the Brightness Slider, the Galaxy S7 will remember your setting along with the current ambient light level that is measured by its Ambient Light Sensor (ALS), which is located next to the front facing camera just above the top of the display.

tl;dr:

1) A wide-gamut photo-accurate Adobe RGB display mode

2) It remembers your manually-adjusted brightness settings.

Edited by jnadke
  • Like 2

Did you buy out your contract?

Sprint online has a habit of telling you you're eligible when in reality they're referring to a 2-year lease.

All that matters is when you click on Contract Details it says you're done (or within 4 months).

I would be curious about that as well. I have 4 phones whose plans are up between 5/15 and 7/15. I don't want to lease. Unfortunately, I think I'm SOL to get anything now unless I do a lease, unless what optumummind has done would somehow work for me.

I would be curious about that as well. I have 4 phones whose plans are up between 5/15 and 7/15. I don't want to lease. Unfortunately, I think I'm SOL to get anything now unless I do a lease, unless what optumummind has done would somehow work for me.

You should call sprint.

IIRC the old contracts allowed you to upgrade early either 2 months or 4 months depending when the last time you renewed.

Worst-case there's the buy-out:

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Learn_about_early_termination_fee/case-sp061027-20110823-171256

Edit:  It looks like they axed the 2/4-month early thing last year.  The only option is the buy-out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/2xkpin/sprint_upgrade_policy_change/

Edited by jnadke