Google Nexus 5X by LG User Thread (LG H790)

WiWavelength

The 5X was the easiest new phone activation I have ever had with Sprint.  I didn't even have to chat.  Good job Sprint!

Anyone else notice the USB Type C cable is really hard to disconnect?  I thought I was going to break the phone unplugging the cable.    

• Like 3

The 5X was the easiest new phone activation I have ever had with Sprint. I didn't even have to chat. Good job Sprint!

Anyone else notice the USB Type C cable is really hard to disconnect? I thought I was going to break the phone unplugging the cable.

Yes, I thought the phone was going to go flying across the room because it is so slippery and the cable was hard to disconnect.

Yes, I thought the phone was going to go flying across the room because it is so slippery and the cable was hard to disconnect.

I guess I am glad it is not just my phone that has the issue.  Maybe it will get better with some use.

The 5X was the easiest new phone activation I have ever had with Sprint. I didn't even have to chat. Good job Sprint!

Anyone else notice the USB Type C cable is really hard to disconnect? I thought I was going to break the phone unplugging the cable.

Same here.

Last night, after connecting the charger to the phone, I semi-freaked out BC the phone wouldn't charge. The charging issue was resolved by inserting the end that used to be connected to the charger into the phone. The charging port is making me feel wary.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The 5X was the easiest new phone activation I have ever had with Sprint.  I didn't even have to chat.  Good job Sprint!

Anyone else notice the USB Type C cable is really hard to disconnect?  I thought I was going to break the phone unplugging the cable.    

My Nexus 5x is waiting for me at home so I swung by the Corporate Sprint Store across the street from my work.

For the first time in... at least 5 years?  Maybe first time ever? my sprint store experience was actually 100% flawless.

Now, as an early adopter, I expect to hit snags at sprint and have become quite good at dealing with them BUT this time I was just in and out with my new SIM card without issue.

Thanks to AJ's post, I showed the guy a picture of what SIM card I needed, he checked his sim stock, scanned it, and billed it to my account for 0 dollars.  He clearly explained that he had to bill it to my account for inventory purposes and that there was no charge, and I was on my way!

It's very refreshing not having to argue with Sprint employees, having to get Sprint Corporate involved, and wasting two hours of my life.

It was extremely pleasant - if this is a trend, the future is very bright for Sprint.
  • Like 4

Ugh! My 5x has a rattling noise if you shake it and it's not the power or volume buttons (coming from the camera area) which is really noticeable...

Ugh... gotta contact google support to see if I can get a replacement I suppose. 

Ugh! My 5x has a rattling noise if you shake it and it's not the power or volume buttons (coming from the camera area) which is really noticeable...

Does the camera have optical image stabilization?  If so, the camera lens has a certain amount of float and can rattle if shaken.

AJ

Ugh... gotta contact google support to see if I can get a replacement I suppose. 

Oh man, hopefully they will have additional stock for a replacement.  I'm actually curious how well Google Support is, so please update us on how well they do with the exchange.

My Nexus 5X arrived yesterday and I activated it online easily enough using the MEID (HEX) from the box and the 4FF v5 UICC (SIM) I got from Sprint Worldwide Support last week. A few observations:

• It's a lot more manageable size-wise than the old Nexus 6. Honestly I don't miss the screen real estate, and I have pretty big hands.
  • The screen feels like a bit of a step back to the OG Nexus 5. I guess AMOLED has grown on me a bit.
  • I haven't noticed much if any signal dropoff relative to the Nexus 6. My area only has bands 25 and 26 active, so I haven't been able to test band 41. 1x 800 also works fine.
  • The debug and data screens are accessible from SignalCheck Pro. There seems to be an "LTE Roaming" setting that's new from the OG Nexuses, as well as the carrier aggregation setting. Band 12, however, does not show up as a toggle. Opening some of the settings even in view mode leads to a force stop.
  • The "Nexus 6 Marshmallow bug" in SCP is also present on the Nexus 5X. Might be an issue with the new permissions system and how the cell info API interacts with devices that don't declare support for API 23.
  • I've only used third-party USB C cables so far; for the most part they've been easy to use, but the short Micro-B USB female to USB C male adapter I got from Amazon doesn't pass through the higher-speed charging signals to any of my chargers. (The speed-of-charging indication on the lock screen is helpful. Google really needs to put this on the battery screen in settings too.) The USB A to USB C cables on the other hand seem to mostly do better.
  • Already survived one drop in a case without any damage (or rattles).
  • Like 2

I don't think either of the Nexii have OIS.

Well, the camera lens does float and rattle a little bit.  If you request an exchange, I think you are being anal retentive.  And the exchange likely would rattle, too.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/anal-retentive-chef/n9695

AJ

• The debug and data screens are accessible from SignalCheck Pro. There seems to be an "LTE Roaming" setting that's new from the OG Nexuses, as well as the carrier aggregation setting. Band 12, however, does not show up as a toggle. Opening some of the settings even in view mode leads to a force stop.

That is good advice about the System Shortcuts in SignalCheck Pro.  Shortcut maker apps can create a home screen shortcut to the internal Debug app, but that shortcut fails for some odd reason.  Of course, the *#*#DEBUG#*#* dialer code works, but that is tedious to enter every time while out and about.

On the topic of roaming, under the user accessible Settings app, data roaming appears to be disabled by default.  So, others may want to check that setting.  It would override any internal LTE roaming setting.

AJ

That's definitely not normal as my N5X has no rattling noise when shaken. Hope the device replacement is smooth and easy for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Also can confirm LTE engineering is borked for CA reporting. CA is live but engineering doesn't report any value for SCC while I'm getting 60-90 Mbps.

Yeah, I noticed that my SCC signal metrics are there but do not seem to populate.  I thought that it was just me, as I do not run many data intensive activities, and CA does not engage while idle.  But maybe it is not just me.

For S4GRU RF trackers, these unlocked, third party Android 5.1-6.0 handsets this fall have been a real mixed bag.  I do not regret the $900 I have spent in the name of research and experience.  However, I am a bit disappointed.

Huawei is such a wild card at this point, but maybe the Nexus 6P will be the one that avoids all of these shortcomings.  We shall see...

AJ

So, what are some of the initial thoughts you guys have?

Battery life?

Signal reception?

Screen?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Battery life?  Exceptional coming from a Nexus 5. Doing the same usage for 2 hour SOT I went from 100 to 50sh in 1 hour and with 5x it's 100 to 80ish. Ended the day with about 3 hour SOT and ~40% battery left. 

Signal? Fan fucking tastic on 25 / 26. Easily 5-6 dBm better than N5 which puts it as one of the stronger performers (as expected). Band 41 is about the same as the G4 which is about average.

Screen is very decent and bright. I basically have it almost to the minimum brightness because of how bright it is. 

• Like 9

Battery life? Exceptional coming from a Nexus 5. Doing the same usage for 2 hour SOT I went from 100 to 50sh in 1 hour and with 5x it's 100 to 80ish. Ended the day with about 3 hour SOT and ~40% battery left.

Signal? Fan fucking tastic on 25 / 26. Easily 5-6 dBm better than N5 which puts it as one of the stronger performers (as expected). Band 41 is about the same as the G4 which is about average.

Screen is very decent and bright. I basically have it almost to the minimum brightness because of how bright it is.

Sweet. I'll be keeping an eye on the reviews. I may dump off this s6edge and pick one up.

Mainly because I'm getting the itch for a new one but I can always make some more excuses too.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

That the Nexus 5X tested out to be a good low and mid band performer?  I think I read someone write that in an article.

;)

AJ

• Like 1

I think someone stealth edited in "(as expected)." But that is cool.

;)

AJ