Google Nexus 5X by LG User Thread (LG H790)

WiWavelength

received my $50 play credit code just now.

I got my Google Play $50 credit, too.  I am rich!  Maybe I should purchase SignalCheck Pro again another 20 times.

;)

AJ

• Like 2

Regarding the rattle issue.. Check if it is the power button. The first wave of Nexus 5 had tons of these and many people ended up getting replacements. If that is the issue many people also said it was resolved when they put a case on their phone as it stopped the power button from moving around.

• Like 1

I second how good the screen brightness is outside under the sun. Didn't expect much since the N5 screen was pretty bad under the screen. Pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Okay. Initial impressions.

Very smooth and quick! Marshmallow is neat, but Google has implemented additional security at the bootloader level, so it was somewhat tedious getting the phone rooted and I still haven't gotten recovery working yet. But I'll toy with that later.

Camera is great! Great shots in bright areas, dark shots have noise but less than some competitors. I feel like my N5x rattles near the camera, too. I held the power/volume rockers still and shook the phone and still heard rattle. It's not a big deal to me, unless it affects resale value.

Size is actually quite big. But it's the best sized phone imo that's come out in 2015. I don't mine it.

The speaker is atrocious at full volume. It is extremely low quality and even my Moto G puts it to shame. Very disappointed by the speaker unit on this phone. Luckily I use Bluetooth and headphones a lot, but for audiophiles, this is not the phone for you.

Can't comment on battery since it's too new for me. Same with signal. Although I seem to be pulling better speeds on this device than on my Moto G in the same spot. The WiFi chip is really good on 2.4ghz networks. Haven't tried 5ghz yet.

Screen is good. Nothing amazing, nothing horrible. Just good. The DPI is set so everything is a lot smaller. Not bad for me, but just an observation.

I have 24GB of internal storage available. Really angry Google decided to opt out of the SD slot again! That is NOT innovative! I don't use a lot of storage aside from on-device backups when modding. So 24GB may just get me by.

I'll play with it a bit more but I honestly feel like the only things that the N5x excels over my $200 cheaper Moto G is camera and CPU performance.

Figured I'd share. The biggest disappointment for me is the speaker.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

My battery life has been pretty good. Phone's been on for 17 hrs, WiFi & LTE on, GPS on, auto brightness, and I'm at 4 hrs & 38 mins SOT with 10% left. Pretty impressed so far.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ugh! My 5x has a rattling noise if you shake it and it's not the power or volume buttons (coming from the camera area) which is really noticeable...

Ugh... gotta contact google support to see if I can get a replacement I suppose. 

Mine does the same thing - can you let me know how your replacement goes...

Regarding the rattle issue.. Check if it is the power button. The first wave of Nexus 5 had tons of these and many people ended up getting replacements. If that is the issue many people also said it was resolved when they put a case on their phone as it stopped the power button from moving around.

It's not the power/volume buttons.  I can hold down all three and the rattle is exactly the same.

Anyone know how to enable the notification LED?  I don't want to have to install a 3rd party app.  I disabled ambient display, but I am not getting any notification LEDs.

EDIT: Oops.  I'm dumb.  It's under Settings > Display > Notifications.

As for the rattle, I'll check with XDA and see how many other people's orders are affected.

Appear that the rattling issue has something to do with the sim card tray pin that opens up the tray. If I stick the sim card tray opener into the hole but not all the way to reject the tray and then shake the device, there's little to no noise. 

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-5x/help/rattling-noise-near-speaker-t3231268

SOLVED! - I spoke to Google support and they said that the rattling noise comes from the sim tray.
There is a tiny lever which you push with the sim pin to remove the sim tray, and that lever is what rattles against the frame. Providing that your 5X works as it should, that's the rattle.

• Like 2

Phone just got delivered.  Also included in the delivery with FedEx is my Pepsi Perfect bottle from Back To The Future.  Is it possible to nerd out any more than this? lol

If you also received Star Wars tickets for the marathon in the movie theaters!

Edited by HTCandroid

If you also received Star Wars tickets for the marathon in the movie theaters!

Nope.  I already did a "Star Wars" marathon in theaters in 1993, then again in 1997 for the Special Editions.  Yes, I am old.

AJ

I was introduced to Star Wars in 1993 in the theaters. Before all the extra CGI add-ins. I guess I'm old too? 

Maybe.  But I was a few months old when "Star Wars" debuted to much surprising fanfare in 1977.  And as a teenager, I owned "Return of the Jedi" on LaserDisc.  Try to top those old man qualities.

AJ

Maybe.  But I was a few months old when "Star Wars" debuted to much surprising fanfare in 1977.  And as a teenager, I owned "Return of the Jedi" on LaserDisc.  Try to top those old man qualities.

AJ

You win...I was a child when LaserDiscs were making their way out...

Filled out a little form for Google support to call back within 2 minutes (they did). 

Representative on that call was extremely helpful and is setting up an advanced RMA for me (they're going to send out another 5x). Hopefully the 2nd one is good since this rattling issue doesn't seem to be very common and it's ridiculously annoying once you notice it. 

• Like 2

Small update. Typically, I leave work (8-5 shift) with around 80% battery left on my Moto G 3rd Gen. Using the phone roughly the same amount at work today, I had 68% left. I think the battery is actually not too bad. It would probably not be enough if you game heavily on your phone. But otherwise, it gets the job done fairly well.

I'm digging these OnePlus chargers I bought. Really high quality and they work really well. Would recommend.

Verus sent me an email saying they've fixed the case size issue and will be sending me a replacement next week. Hope I don't drop my naked phone in the meantime!

Found out more about my recovery not working. Supposedly, I need to decrypt my phone prior to being able to use a custom recovery, so there's that.

Still getting used to the DPI, a lot of things on the screen are A LOT smaller, coming from a Moto Gs 720p screen.

Let me know how your replacement goes, Tim. Mine has the rattle but if it's known minor defect, I may not worry about it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 1

@Ascertion

Anything to share concerning the visual voicemail capabilities of Marshmallow?

I hope you don't mind if I add my two cents. I couldn't get the native visual voicemail in marshmallow to work. In my reading, it appears it only works on T-Mobile right now. I went back to using Google voice.

• Like 1

I hope you don't mind if I add my two cents. I couldn't get the native visual voicemail in marshmallow to work. In my reading, it appears it only works on T-Mobile right now. I went back to using Google voice.

With as much as Sprint tries to push you to go to the "premium" version of their own visual voicemail product I can see why they might not desire any other voicemail app to work with their VM (as they would lose the ability to incessantly nag you to upgrade).

I have google voice voicemail (but not full Sprint number integration) turned on in google voice as a replacement for the Sprint voicemail but at least on my current phone I find that around 15-20% of calls somehow slip through and end up in the Sprint voicemail nonetheless. This is very annoying and really concerns me when I will activate my 5X. I haven't dared enable full google voice integration since having a ton of issues with it when I had enabled integration a couple years ago that forced me to disable the integration a few weeks after turning it on.

I will keep the Google voice mail as the main voice mail on my number with the 5X but what options do I have as far as notifications from the Sprint voice mail if some calls keep getting through to it? Is it possible to install Sprint's crappy VM app on a non-branded phone? Any other alternatives?

I suppose I might also consider full reintegration with GV but after the horrendous experience a couple years ago I am afraid to try it (I missed a lot of important phone calls which went to lala land - no voicemail would even pick up; even worse, sometime it made it appear as if my number was inoperative). I should note that in the beginning GV integration worked fine but then went on the fritz about five or six weeks later.

Edited by GoWireless