Sprint Q3 (Q2 Fiscal Quarter earnings) Discussion (Scheduled Nov 3rd)

Ascertion

If they basically will not have NGN started til the 2nd quarter I can't see Sprint having a big advantage but I will believe when I see it when it comes to Verizon 5G next year. Verizon is very capable but I don't even think the 5G standard is set so how will they deploy?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Did someone say NGN wasn't starting until 2nd quarter or are you just being pessimistic? No reason to think NGN won't start until then at this point.

• Like 1

You have the 6 months which ends 1st quarter then prep. I am being pessimistic but I don't think I'm wrong. Someone else can chime in on this for a more accurate deadline. To tired to do it myself today.

You have the 6 months which ends 1st quarter then prep. I am being pessimistic but I don't think I'm wrong. Someone else can chime in on this for a more accurate deadline. To tired to do it myself today.

Info we have indicates plans were being finalized this summer. Add 6 months, that's early next year. Not 2nd quarter. 

Info we have indicates plans were being finalized this summer. Add 6 months, that's early next year. Not 2nd quarter.

Okay but you have to give room for any drawbacks and even if it does start in February, mass deployment probably wouldn't commence til April (2nd quarter).

First off, the best play that Sprint can make on network plans is to keep their mouths shut until they have some NGN cells and performance to show off from the field. Do we really want to get into the overpromise/underdeliver crap again? We know how that's going to go. Marcelo was wise to avoid details.

Secondly, there's a lot of middle management fat getting cut. The money for that is going to, in large part, NGN. This is overdue. 

Third, Sprint still has a hard road, but cutting the middle management shows they have the courage to deliver on the plans they are making for a change. Now what has to happen between now and the Q4 announcement is improvement on execution. If execution gets better and Sprint can deliver another net positive phone add quarter, the Street will get it. I would tune out the other noise at this point. 

• Like 3

Can we all agree that Sprint basically had nothing to report on NGN in terms of actual deployment progress so are we still surprised that Sprint was mum about it?  I am totally fine with Sprint being mum about even until Q1 2016 CC since Q4 2015 won't have any progress either.  Sprint talking about planning doesn't really add too much color either at this point.

• Like 2

When I first heard the news that Sprint hadn't released any information regarding NGN yet again at this latest report, my suspicions were made stronger that something isn't good about these plans actually happening, and that Masa might really be back trying either for another shot at a T-Mobile merger instead, as he seems to prefer for obvious reasons. or he is planning for a sale of Sprint.

Besides, there could be other reasons for his house purchase near to the Sprint HQ than the optimistic idea he might be doing so, in order to be more involved in helping Sprint. Again, I believe there is a strong possibility Masa is determined only to get T-Mobile together with Sprint, which I believe has a stronger chance of happening now with all the reports of cutbacks and financial issues he could use to tell the FCC either to allow the merger, or see the duopoly fight over the remains of a dissolved Sprint, which would end the four carrier situation the FCC wants, while hurting, rather than helping the third remaining carrier, which would be T-Mobile.

There are two other possibilities I see with this. One being if the T-Mobile merger doesn't happen, which BTW, the only way it seems for it to happen is Masa telling the FCC that Sprint cannot afford NGN and the only way for Sprint to improve and not dissolve, is to merge with T-Mobile or to sell the company. This would be a good reason for Sprint to remain so quiet about NGN all this time, while allowing all the bad news of its financials being reported without much of a rebuttal to them. Surely the FCC would rather see a stronger third carrier, than two strong ones with Sprint assets and a weaker third carrier in T-Mobile, whom if a Republican administration takes control of the FCC, could allow for a duopoly takeover, which I can see happening in that situation.

The only other possibility left I see, which is one I've mentioned quite a bit about lately, is the possibility of a different form of NGN than what we know of. One not so expensive and is something more revolutionary than going through such expense adding thousands of macro and small cells throughout the country. That may very well be the Artemis pcell idea which works best on the spectrum Sprint has the most of, band 41 spectrum. If the pcell idea works, there wouldn't be a need to go through the NGN plans as we know of, nor acquire T-Mobile, as pcell will reduce the need for such a vast deployment of traditional cell sites and would provide such an amazing experience using Sprint's band 41, customers from T-Mobile will flock to Sprint in droves.

My ultimate hope though, is Sprint is actually working with Artemis, but is keeping quiet about it, appearing in need, especially with so much backlash in the media towards these new rate plan. Meanwhile using the reports of their situation as a means to first acquire T-Mobile, then reveal their Artemis plans.

Just some of my thoughts as to what might be happening with all of this.

• Like 1

You are half right, post paid, you pay after the month you received service.

No, thats not how it works. My point is that its called post paid, implying you pay after service, but you actually pre-pay. Youre first bill includes the rest of the month + the entire next month.

The only post-pay are overages.

No, thats not how it works. My point is that its called post paid, implying you pay after service, but you actually pre-pay. Youre first bill includes the rest of the month + the entire next month.

The only post-pay are overages.

My last Sprint bill was for the period September 9th - October 8th, the bill was generated on October 12th and wasn't due until November 2nd. That sure seems like post paid and not pre paid to me.