IT'S THE WiMAX COUNTDOWN!!!

S4GRU

Is it possible that Sprint welcomes this delay as it gives them time to upgrade to LTE plus? I guess we will know after Feb 2.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Sprint doesn't welcome this delay at all, but is putting on a happy face. What's remarkable is that LTE Plus and Sprint's other network achievements have happened in spite of WiMAX having to be kept on and maintained. The issue is that WiMAX is very spectrum inefficient. As I understand it, no adjacent WiMAX sites can broadcast on the same frequencies and this specifically affects Sprint's 2.5GHz deployment. Also, the old single mode WiMAX gear can't be pulled/replaced until the network is finally shut down.

The issue is that WiMAX is very spectrum inefficient. As I understand it, no adjacent WiMAX sites can broadcast on the same frequencies and this specifically affects Sprint's 2.5GHz deployment.

No, not spectrum inefficient.  WiMAX can be operated with unity frequency reuse.  But Clearwire did not deploy it that way.

AJ

No, not spectrum inefficient.  WiMAX can be operated with unity frequency reuse.  But Clearwire did not deploy it that way.

AJ

Thank you for clarifying that. Once the WiMAX network is shut down, how long will it take Sprint to fire up the new LTE equipment in its place? Has this new LTE equipment already been deployed to be activated remotely upon shutdown or do they have to wait until WiMAX is completely off? (The existing Samsung Dual Mode gear can probably be switched over pretty quickly right?)

I see. It just seems like Sprint doesn't mind the delay. Since WiMax affects LTE Plus deployment one would think they would fight a little harder to end this. Legere would probably be in supreme court over this lol.

I see. It just seems like Sprint doesn't mind the delay. Since WiMax affects LTE Plus deployment one would think they would fight a little harder to end this. Legere would probably be in supreme court over this lol.

Sprint is exercising good politics... but through gritted teeth. It actually fought pretty hard to end this: went to court, and injunction was issued against them.... and then they sat at the negotiating table. This was a mutually agreed upon timetable with Sprint forcing a smile.

It only affects it in a few select cities. Mainly New York City. That's about it. Nearly everywhere else, Sprint already has 2 B41 carriers online w/CA, not only on Sprint sites but on capable Clear sites as well. 

It only affects it in a few select cities. Mainly New York City. That's about it. Nearly everywhere else, Sprint already has 2 B41 carriers online w/CA, not only on Sprint sites but on capable Clear sites as well.

I'm anxious to see what happens in NYC when WiMax shuts down there. Hopefully setup for 3x20 when S7 launches :)

[emoji34] Implementation of third carrier was likely delayed. Competition did not stop.

Hmm. Thank goodness NYC is scheduled to go off ASAP. I hope Sprint can get the 2xCA switches flipped on all the dual-mode sites within a few days.

Sucks Charlotte has to wait another month, but we won't really benefit (i.e. none of our dual-mode WiMAX sites are overloaded so 2nd carrier on those isn't critical at the moment) until they start doing LTE swaps on WiMAX-only sites which is probably still a ways off anyway.

I am beyond excited that at some point soon(ish) after Tuesday, B41 will be usable again.  EVDO beats it in places here.

Don't forget about Dr Saws promise to have third carrier started by the end of 2015 and that third carrier is all software.  No site visits required.  Third carrier will benefit any triband phone at a congested site with extra backhaul.

Don't forget about Dr Saws promise to have third carrier started by the end of 2015 and that third carrier is all software. No site visits required. Third carrier will benefit any triband phone at a congested site with extra backhaul.

How did u learn it was all software related?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Don't forget about Dr Saws promise to have third carrier started by the end of 2015 and that third carrier is all software. No site visits required. Third carrier will benefit any triband phone at a congested site with extra backhaul.

All three vendors have not completed and submitted their 3rd carrier and 3xCA testing. Until that happens, it can't go live anywhere. WiMax did not have an impact on that.

Sent from my LG G4