S4GRU

IT'S THE WiMAX COUNTDOWN!!!

I have a Clear account, of which my Mom uses - got the phone call from her a few hours ago, saying Internet is down as of a few hours before that. At least in the Chicago area (Glenview to be specific), WiMax is down.

Did you verify? Power cycle, Airplane mode?

Is the Signal totally gone or just data is down, In Hawaii Signal is still up but data is down

My sisters wimax   modem just re directs to the clear payment site here in chicago. 

Worked around 10:30AM Pacific Time (SF Bay Area)

Checked at 6:30PM on two FreedomPop Freedom Spot Photons and 4G connects, but any request just redirects to a 4g.freedompop.com portal.

At last, I can stop using them :)

• Like 2

Clear still up and functional here in Portland as of 7pm PST

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Has anyone activated a WiMax device on Sprint today without issues?

I love how everybody here is booting up their Wimax devices.

Next press release: "WiMax usage up 765% in November from October!"

I have a bunch of FreedomPOP phones running and all still enjoy WiMax speeds of not less then 10MB down but mostly reaching up to 12-13MB! down. I have not seen these speeds since 2010 and speeds used to be around 5-6MB which was still good for my use

Outside of a few cities and tech blogs this isn't really getting coverage anywhere.

Not sure about this, because even my wife, who is not a tech blog reader told me about this. After the bad press with the Unlimited Starter Plan, she feels like that Sprint is a bad company.

Wimax speeds on my Motorola CPE 150

uploadfromtaptalk1446867517772.png

• Like 2

That's faster than my Clearwire B41 LTE!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

That's faster than my Clearwire B41 LTE!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Lol probably because I am the only Clear user left on this sector.    And as of 1230 am PST its still up and running here.   

Wow! Surely speeds like that are deserving of the $10 "Premium Data" charge!  ;)

• Like 2

Clear sign-in page updated & now displays this at top:

"Important Message: Effective Friday, November 6, 2015 all CLEAR and Clearwire services and devices have been permanently canceled and are no longer operating as of 12:01AM in your local time zone. You can find additional information by clicking here. To learn about possible offers for our CLEAR and Clearwire customers, please contact us at 888.888.3113. We thank you for being a loyal CLEAR and Clearwire customer.

Making a payment will not resume your service."

Outside of a few cities and tech blogs this isn't really getting coverage anywhere.

I wonder why? It would make for a really juicy headline. ;)

Sounds kind of like when iDen was shutdown. Services stopped working and eventually towers powered down. Weren't some a manual switch flip?

All Clear towers can be remotely serviced and and powered down.

I have a Clear account, of which my Mom uses - got the phone call from her a few hours ago, saying Internet is down as of a few hours before that. At least in the Chicago area (Glenview to be specific), WiMax is down.

Clear devices go straight to a Clear splash page asking for payment, but there is no plan available anymore.

My Clear still working as if 3pm PST. 13mbps down. Fastest its been in a long time.

This morning even my FreedomPOP Photon was redirected to a splash page.

My sisters wimax   modem just re directs to the clear payment site here in chicago. 

Same here, but there is no plan so you can't pay it.

Worked around 10:30AM Pacific Time (SF Bay Area)

Checked at 6:30PM on two FreedomPop Freedom Spot Photons and 4G connects, but any request just redirects to a 4g.freedompop.com portal.

At last, I can stop using them :)

Phones still work and 4G is working very nicely.

This reminds me of the early days,

What's a good WiMax phone to buy these days?

Is this a trick question?

Is this a trick question?

Nope? WiMax is here for an additional 3 months, AFIK Clearwire in my market has more density than Sprint themselves.

I'd like to piggyback on Wimax for now, I was hoping the best for the shutdown so they can de-comission and convert some Clear towers (much needed in two areas) 

I think you will not be able to activate any WiMax devices going forward. I wouldn't recommend buying one. I'm not even certain MB/MC customers can activate new devices or accounts. The injunction may only protect existing customers.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 2

Well all good things come to an end.. My Clear now redirects to the clear website. Clearly its over now.

So it looks like it's finally official. Sprint is leaving the network running to comply with the court order but will not allow customers to authenticate:

http://flip.it/H4Kr4

Does anybody know if WiMax and B41 can both exist on the same tower (live)

Does anybody know if WiMax and B41 can both exist on the same tower (live)

Yes, many people know.  Now, would you like to know?  Just ask.

;)

AJ

Yes, many people know.  Now, would you like to know?  Just ask.

;)

AJ

:o Does sprint need to shutdown a Wimax site to convert it? or can they just stick three panels under the Wimax panels and call it a day?

:o Does sprint need to shutdown a Wimax site to convert it? or can they just stick three panels under the Wimax panels and call it a day?

No new antenna panels.  Some WiMAX infrastructure already is capable of being run in dual mode WiMAX/LTE.

AJ

No new antenna panels.  Some WiMAX infrastructure already is capable of being run in dual mode WiMAX/LTE.

AJ

Interesting, So even with the injunction the likelihood of Sprint continuing to upgrade Clear sites isn't hindered at all?

They just can't kill WiMax yet, Right?

Interesting, So even with the injunction the likelihood of Sprint continuing to upgrade Clear sites isn't hindered at all?

They just can't kill WiMax yet, Right?

Depends upon the infrastructure type and OEM (Huawei, Samsung, et al.).  Tim or David will chime in with the specifics.

AJ