S4GRU

IT'S THE WiMAX COUNTDOWN!!!

When your WiMax you turn in to TDD-LTE...it's what you do.  

The ommission of San Francisco and the Bay Area at large is noteworthy and makes us wonder what the dealy-o is.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

What are the red dots? Has the service in these areas been killed off already? Why is Phoenix on the list that never had Wimax launched officially?

What are the red dots? Has the service in these areas been killed off already? Why is Phoenix on the list that never had Wimax launched officially?

They had a license protection network that was partially functional, so it was added to the injunction just so MB & MC could be jerks about it.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 6s Plus 128GB using Tapatalk

WiMAX coverage has now been removed from the "Data" tab on the Coverage Map Page.

It's still showing up for me and NYC still shows as having coverage.

Edit: Just did a full refresh by bypassing my cache and its now gone

These were Clearwire Expedience markets. Expedience was a technology that Clearwire used before WiMax. Most Expedience markets were upgraded to WiMax. Some hadn't been upgraded before Clearwire ran out of money. Like Duluth MN, Dayton OH, St. Cloud MN, Reno NV and Anchorage AK.

Clearwire kept Expedience running in these markets for a long time and some even were prohibited from shutting down in the injunction. Even though WiMax customers would be unaffected by them being shut off.

Expedience was a Motorola technology that ran approximately 3G speeds.

Phoenix was not an Expedience market but it did have a Substantial Service network (Protection Sites). It also should not have been part of the injunction.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

For areas that did not have to follow the injunction how long before the network went dark to being live with additional carriers online? Does the shut down happen officially this evening, then a software update pushed in the next few days?

• Like 2

For areas that did not have to follow the injunction how long before the network went dark to being live with additional carriers online? Does the shut down happen officially this evening, then a software update pushed in the next few days?

Unknown. It *should* happen right away, but we have no evidence of that since there hasn't been a mass WiMax shutdown yet.

• Like 1

Any indication of Wimax being shutdown on any of the first round cities?

These were Clearwire Expedience markets. Expedience was a technology that Clearwire used before WiMax. Most Expedience markets were upgraded to WiMax. Some hadn't been upgraded before Clearwire ran out of money. Like Duluth MN, Dayton OH, St. Cloud MN, Reno NV and Anchorage AK.

Clearwire kept Expedience running in these markets for a long time and some even were prohibited from shutting down in the injunction. Even though WiMax customers would be unaffected by them being shut off.

Phoenix was not an Expedience market but it did have a Substantial Service network (Protection Sites). It also should not have been part of the injunction.

Phoenix is really an odd ball. Still no word when the Bay Area goes dark.

Phoenix is really an odd ball. Still no word when the Bay Area goes dark.

I have a wimax phone that I'll be using to check on each of the shutdown dates. It was still up yesterday. It seems likely it'll be shutdown at the end of February though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like 1

So what are they doing with Expedience markets like Dayton?

Recommending that you use Expedia.com to buy a ticket and expedite your move away to a more expedient market.

AJ

• Like 3

In theory they get shut down as well. No way of confirming without a spectrum analyzer though
  • Like 1

Looks like WiMAX may finally be shut down in my part of northwest Chicagoland. My aging EVO is stuck on "Searching" and won't lock onto a channel, where yesterday it would lock and populate all the parameters. It is showing channel 2647000, but no bandwidth, Rx power, IP address, or any other WiMAX parameters.

• Like 11

No wimax in delaware anymore :)

wimax is shut down i believe here....in the part of nj i live in

Wi-Max was functioning in NW Omaha today near Wal-Mart 99th / Fort

I was successful on my Sprint Novatel Wireless MiFi 3G/4G Intelligent Mobile Hotspot 4082

sending and receiving data at 4G Wi-Max speeds

Screenshot attached.

wimax screen 02-19-25.png

• Like 3

So I'm here in Denver and today is supposed to be the shutdown of wimax, do they shut them all at once, or is a process?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Fingers crossed

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

So I'm here in Denver and today is supposed to be the shutdown of wimax, do they shut them all at once, or is a process?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Theoretically they should go dark at the same time. Although you (the Denver area) won't see much difference from the WiMax shutdown since it was not hindering the second carrier deployment on Sprint equipment, and I don't believe the Clear equipment is capable of a second carrier. 

• Like 1

Crossing my fingers for fast activation of second carrier on dual-mode Samsung sites. It wouldn't make much of a difference in performance here but it would at least be a sign that someone's still awake at the controls for my market.

• Like 3

12:12 PM March 1st, WiMAX appears to be dead in HI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

12:12 PM March 1st, WiMAX appears to be dead in HI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WiMax still alive in SF. Although it wasn't explicitly listed as being shutdown in this round (or any round), it seemed likely.

Sent from my Nexus 6P