IT'S THE WiMAX COUNTDOWN!!!

S4GRU

At this point, Sprint could offer a settlement where the users affected by the injunction can transition to plans that are optimized, prioritized "unlimited" and I would bet this ends.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

At this point, Sprint could offer a settlement where the users affected by the injunction can transition to plans that are optimized, prioritized "unlimited" and I would bet this ends.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I don't think the non-profits want that. They want Unlimited/Unthrottled per the terms of the original contract for WiMAX service. We'll see what happens at the end of the 90 day period...

• Like 2

Might be time to reset the count down clock!!

http://mobilecitizen.org/lte/

Mobile Citizen's news:  #StopSprint Update
Some Promising News: We are slowly, but surely beginning to transition some of our customers to LTE beginning Monday, January 4th! Right now this offer is only available for customers we bill directly for service. Check out our FAQs regarding the transition for more information.

http://mobilecitizen.org/faq

LTE Transition
I heard you may have a new LTE offer from Sprint, what are the details?
We are able to start transitioning a portion of our current subscription(s) to Mobile Citizen’s 30GB+ LTE Transition Plan beginning Monday, January 4th!
Sprint is providing Mobile Citizen’s users with a 30 GB+ 4G LTE data-only plan (with no throttling, suspension or overage charges after 30 GB). The plan does not include off-network roaming and it is subject to any standard network management that Sprint may apply to commercial broadband data-only account users.
Right now this offer is only available for customers we bill directly for service. 
If you receive Mobile Citizen’s service through one of our resale partners (e.g. EveryoneOn, PCs for People, etc), we are working with them on a transition plan. We plan to have an update for you early in the new year. 
How long will I have WiMAX service?
On Nov. 5 2015 a Massachusetts state court granted a preliminary injunction and stopped the Sprint Corporation from its plan to shut off broadband access on the WiMAX network. The emergency relief orders Sprint to maintain the WiMax network in certain areas for 90 days.
Some sections of the WiMAX network went down on Nov. 6, 2015. If you use your CLEAR WiMAX mobile broadband device in a geographic area where the WiMAX network remains, you should have access until approximately Feb. 3, 2016.
When will I have Sprint’s 4G LTE service?
Mobile Citizen is committed to transitioning customers to LTE. We will contact current customers as we are able to transition them from WiMAX to the LTE network.
I have a WiMAX device. Will I have to replace it with an LTE device?
When Sprint decommissions the WiMAX network and transitions to LTE, the WiMAX equipment you currently have will not be compatible with the new LTE network. Unfortunately, that means you will have to replace your equipment with an LTE device purchased through Mobile Citizen.
  • Like 5

Wow. Sounds like Sprint just sorta gave in. It'd be nice if they were somehow only allowed on B41, but it looks like they're getting full access to the LTE macro network.  :td:
It does sound like they can "manage" the network more aggressively since this is data-only (why else would that be in the FAQ?) which is nice.

Full steam ahead!

"30 GB+ 4G LTE data-only plan (with no throttling, suspension or overage charges after 30 GB"

Which is just a long way of saying an unlimited plan?  What is the significance of even saying 30 gigs?

• Like 2

"30 GB+ 4G LTE data-only plan (with no throttling, suspension or overage charges after 30 GB"

Which is just a long way of saying an unlimited plan?  What is the significance of even saying 30 gigs?

Maybe it's throttled to 2G/3G after the 30 GB?

I suspect it is throttling like sprint says they will do with their top 5% when congestion hits. After 30GB they get tagged with "Heavy User" then they can get throttled when things get slow.

I hope that is what they mean by "The plan does not include off-network roaming and it is subject to any standard network management that Sprint may apply to commercial broadband data-only account users."

• Like 1

I agree. Sounds like the plan will have 30GB of unrestricted data, after which they will be subject to the standard network management of throttling to alleviate congested sites. Mobile Citizen essentially gets what it wanted without completely debilitating surrounding towers

I suspect it is throttling like sprint says they will do with their top 5% when congestion hits. After 30GB they get tagged with "Heavy User" then they can get throttled when things get slow.

I hope that is what they mean by "The plan does not include off-network roaming and it is subject to any standard network management that Sprint may apply to commercial broadband data-only account users."

This also ties in with taking 30 days to set them up.  That way there may always be a heavy user at a site during peak periods in areas where there are large concentrations of mobile citizen users.  Perhaps many of their users also don't reach the 30GB level.

How much money is this delay costing Sprint?

Last post on page 20 of this thread says Sprint tried to get MC/MB to do a $65 million bond to cover the cost of running WiMAX another 90 days but the court rejected the motion.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

MC and MB are parasites, They should know the parasites should keep the host alive or the parasites will also die ;)

They also own the spectrum that Sprint is using. So their demands are fair, give us equivalent service or give us our spectrum back.

They also own the spectrum that Sprint is using. So their demands are fair, give us equivalent service or give us our spectrum back.

The rub was though is that they were going to get better service. And possibly the ability to sell an unlimited amount of capacity on the new network. But I'm glad it seems they have worked it out.

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

So, is it time to re-cue Europe??? ;)

If you're an S4GRU Honored Premier sponsor, you count down the final days of WiMAX -- that's what you do.

AJ

• Like 5

If you're an S4GRU Honored Premier sponsor, you count down the final days of WiMAX -- that's what you do.

AJ

Oh no, I'm enjoying all the free data on my FreedomPOP Evo4G, a nice hotsport app and 15MB down. Using it till the end.

The educational institutions do not own the EBS spectrum; rather, the FCC charitably licenses it to them.  If the institutions want the spectrum back because Sprint is in violation of lease terms, they could have the spectrum.  And they would be left with nothing -- no network, no capacity.  Like a having a car without any gas and no ability to obtain gas.  They do not have the wherewithal to construct their own networks.  Moreover, it is not as if VZW or any other network operator would swoop in, take on the leases, and give them the "unlimited" terms they want.  They -- or is it you? -- are spoiled brats looking for a handout.

That is how Sprint had leverage and why it benefitted both parties to negotiate.

AJ

• Like 2

Oh no, I'm enjoying all the free data on my FreedomPOP Evo4G, a nice hotsport app and 15MB down. Using it till the end.

Well, you're not an Honored Premier sponsor.

But if you're AJ, you make witty cultural references -- it's what you do.

Maybe you missed that part.

;)

AJ