Sprint Roaming+ - Coverage Map Update

clbowens

Clear's B41 works pretty well in KC... works the basement, and my parent's house is almost a mile from the site. 

Clear's B41 works nowhere NEAR as good as that here.  I'm about half a mile from a site, I get 1 bar on the 1st and 2nd floor of my house and drop to 3G in the basement.

That may be one way to look at it.  Another way is it adds confusion to managing use of my roaming quota.  I wonder how many people will check the coverage map, think they are in a Roaming + area, then burn through regular roaming minutes.

Not providing users a clear way to know what type of coverage they're using seems like a way to generate a lot of unhappy calls to customer service when roaming caps are inadvertently reached.

No, you are overestimating users.  Most will just see the "R" on screen and believe they are roaming.  Many will even have roaming data disabled -- because they do not know how to enable or fear roaming charges.

AJ

• Like 2

No, you are overestimating users.  Most will just see the "R" on screen and believe they are roaming.  Many will even have roaming data disabled -- because they do not know how to enable or fear roaming charges.

AJ

Time will tell.  I wonder how many users you're underestimating -- especially those who are members of S4GRU.  :blink:

Time will tell.  I wonder how many users you're underestimating -- especially those who are members of S4GRU.  :blink:

Still, no.  You are overestimating numbers now.  S4GRU members and similarly minded wireless users are like a few raindrops in a downpour.  Minuscule compared to the whole.

Anyway, informed S4GRU members will know where Sprint has pseudo native Roaming+ coverage and where it has standard roaming coverage.  But there is no way to indicate that in the notification bar on devices.  That is not how PRLs work.  The roaming indicator is either on or off -- there is no in between.

Previously, Sprint tried flagging the pseudo native SIDs in the PRL as native -- roaming indicator off.  That did not work out well.  Not well for Sprint.  Not well for its pseudo native partners.  People who lived in or moved to places like the Oklahoma Panhandle would have Sprint service, more or less perma roaming on pseudo native coverage.  That hit Sprint with roaming costs.  And it deprived local pseudo native partners like PTCI of potential subs that should not have been using Sprint.

AJ

Can't you also flash the roaming indicator?  I thought I remembered seeing that somewhere along the way.

I am not quite sure what you are asking.  Not that S4GRU recommends it, but users could edit their PRLs to show no roaming indicator for Roaming+ pseudo native coverage.

AJ

I am not quite sure what you are asking. Not that S4GRU recommends it, but users could edit their PRLs to show no roaming indicator for Roaming+ pseudo native coverage.

AJ

And that would only effect 1x and EVDO roaming. It would have no effect on LTE Roaming...when that should ever occur.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

I think Trip is referring to the "extended network" indicator that Verizon phones (used to?) have for people roaming on preferred partner networks - I don't think Sprint has ever used this option. I suppose they could use it for the pseudo-native areas, but it'd probably generate a lot of support calls from people seeing the flashing "R" and being unsure what to make of it since it's not documented in Sprint's phone manuals.

If that's the case, it would probably be best to make the standard roaming with caps the flashing 'R' as it would catch the attention of the user that they are burning through their roaming allotment. And I would make the Roaming+ the steady 'R', as there is no concern in using it.

To me, I wouldn't call Roaming+ as pseudo-native. To me, nTelos is pseudo-native. It shows on maps as native. Where there is a wholesale agreement to provide full native service to Sprint customers. In the case of full pseudo-native, like nTelos, a roaming indicator would not be used at all.

• Like 2

If that's the case, it would probably be best to make the standard roaming with caps the flashing 'R' as it would catch the attention of the user that they are burning through their roaming allotment. And I would make the Roaming+ the steady 'R', as there is no concern in using it.

To me, I wouldn't call Roaming+ as pseudo-native. To me, nTelos is pseudo-native. It shows on maps as native. Where there is a wholesale agreement to provide full native service to Sprint customers. In the case of full pseudo-native, like nTelos, a roaming indicator would not be used at all.

Or 'R' and 'R+'.

Or 'R' and 'R+'.

So, you want Sprint to start requiring operator specific firmware on all handsets again?  No more unlocked, third party handsets.

AJ

Or 'R' and 'R+'.

Android doesn't have a second roaming option, another roaming graphic for a second roaming scenario. It can though flash on and off one of the existing graphics. That's why a flashing R can be used for a second roaming scenario. But not another unique graphic.

It would need to be modified specifically for Sprint otherwise. And in an era of new unlocked handsets, we need to stick to the standard as close as possible. Perhaps in the future Android, iOS, BB and Windows Phone will institute an extra roaming option. That would be needed.

So, you want Sprint to start requiring operator specific firmware on all handsets again?  No more unlocked, third party handsets.

AJ

I don't know what that means, I just wish/hope they would distinguish when the phone is in roaming and roaming+.

I don't know what that means, I just wish/hope they would distinguish when the phone is in roaming and roaming+.

What you propose with an actual "R+" indicator probably would require Sprint specialized firmware.  So, we could all go back to Sprint splash screens and Sprint bloatware.

AJ

What you propose with an actual "R+" indicator probably would require Sprint specialized firmware.  So, we could all go back to Sprint splash screens and Sprint bloatware.

AJ

Ok.

And I don't think Sprint is going to go through the trouble. Besides, I don't think they'll mind if you don't overuse your Roaming+ coverage.

• Like 1

Carolina West Wireless has always shown as Sprint without a Roaming indicator.  Would that change now that it is showing as Roaming+ or might it stay the same and continue to just show as "Sprint"?

Carolina West Wireless has always shown as Sprint without a Roaming indicator.  Would that change now that it is showing as Roaming+ or might it stay the same and continue to just show as "Sprint"?

Someone will have to check inside a recent PRL.  But the present understanding is that all Roaming+ coverage will trigger the roaming indicator.

AJ

• Like 1

Sprint signs LTE roaming deals with C Spire, SouthernLINC and several rural operators

Does anyone know when the deal with SI wireless takes affect. I just rolled through there roaming zone which i believe was a roaming+ area but i only got 3g and no lte

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sprint signs LTE roaming deals with C Spire, SouthernLINC and several rural operators

Does anyone know when the deal with SI wireless takes affect. I just rolled through there roaming zone which i believe was a roaming+ area but i only got 3g and no lte

Nope.  We have been waiting a long, long time.

Nope. We have been waiting a long, long time.

What's the holdup. Is it sprint taking its time or are the rural carriers taking their time. If they signed an agreement then you'd think they want that going into effect asap

What's the holdup. Is it sprint taking its time or are the rural carriers taking their time. If they signed an agreement then you'd think they want that going into effect asap

Don't know.

When has Roaming+, which is still very new, ever been presented as LTE roaming?

AJ