Anyone surprised Sprint hasn't announced the Galaxy Nexus release date/preorder date yet?

ericdabbs

If the Galaxy Nexus is suppose to be released within the next 1-2 weeks, wouldn't Sprint have to issue a press release now to get the buzz going on about that? I know Sprint is trying to milk as much press on the HTC Evo 4G LTE phone but cmon already. There are people out there that are waiting patiently to get their hands on the Galaxy Nexus LTE phone and there is still no official press release from Sprint.

It does look like the Galaxy Nexus will now have a 4/22 release date since its so late in the game. I do want to see the Galaxy Nexus released ASAP before it becomes an after thought if not already.

• Like 2

I agree. The GNex is still a flagship device and they will sell a lot off them to people who like to mess around with development and ROMs etc. The EVO is certainly an upgrade, but the Nexus S held its own against the EVO 3D which was arguably more of an upgrade over the Nexus S than the EVO LTE is over the GNex.

The least that Sprint could do is have a press release to announce the date.

I wonder if Sprint will end up canceling the Galaxy Nexus launch altogether. Remember that this happened with the Nexus One and Evo 4G. The Nexus One had a lot of fans who were really excited about it finally coming to Sprint. Sprint said it was coming, did testing with it, etc, but ultimately backed out because they didn't want to take any attention away from the Evo 4G launch.

When Sprint revealed they were backing out before the Evo 4G launch, there was a lot of outcry from customers who wanted the Nexus One instead of the Evo 4G. The main reasons were the smaller size of the Nexus One being more appealing to some, and the fact that it was a Google device meant that it would get updates more quickly.

I wonder if Sprint will end up canceling the Galaxy Nexus launch altogether. Remember that this happened with the Nexus One and Evo 4G. The Nexus One had a lot of fans who were really excited about it finally coming to Sprint. Sprint said it was coming, did testing with it, etc, but ultimately backed out because they didn't want to take any attention away from the Evo 4G launch.

When Sprint revealed they were backing out before the Evo 4G launch, there was a lot of outcry from customers who wanted the Nexus One instead of the Evo 4G. The main reasons were the smaller size of the Nexus One being more appealing to some, and the fact that it was a Google device meant that it would get updates more quickly.

Wow, I would be very surprised at that kind of move, but it is possible. People have been waiting since January for the Nexus, that would be a cruel joke. With the amount of customers that are off contract right now, I don't think they can afford to tick anyone off. Even if it means ticking off HTC.

May be a soft launch.

Quote:

"We know the phone is coming soon – it’s already cleared the FCC, and both April 15th and the 22nd have figured prominently in rumors for the long-awaited launch of Google’s flagship Android handset for “the other U.S. CDMA network.”

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sprint-Galaxy-Nexus-signs-to-hit-stores-on-the-15th_id28961

Wow, I would be very surprised at that kind of move, but it is possible. People have been waiting since January for the Nexus, that would be a cruel joke. With the amount of customers that are off contract right now, I don't think they can afford to tick anyone off. Even if it means ticking off HTC.

Yeah, I'd be surprised too, and I certainly hope Sprint doesn't cancel it. But I can't help but wonder if history will repeat itself.. the similarities are almost eerie.

Because our sources are just that good. S4GRU doesn't report on rumors and speculation, or even verbal communiques from intelligent sounding people. We report on hard evidence we receive directly from within. I feel so good, I think I am going to eat a steak dinner tonight! :)

Robert

• Like 10

It's interesting how Phandroid was the first to doubt us on the GNex article where we stated the 4/15 date, but they are first to take credit on the 4/15 date now. What? No Phandroid retraction? No giving S4GRU credit for breaking the 4/15 date story first? :lol:

Robert

• Like 2

Robert do you think they're gonna release it without any LTE market news? Or they gonna release info on live markets?

I think they will release it without much hurrah about LTE. They are likely not going to draw much attention to the infancy of the LTE network at this stage. That's my guess.

Robert

I see the GNex being a very soft launch with more marketing coming later. They don't want to draw to much attention until their 1st 6 markets are at least 50% complete. At that time they should declare them live. I have my bets that this will correlate with the launch of the Evo 4G Lte. I do see that as being a much bigger launch. Sprint will let it be known that they have the GNexus but not in a big way like they did and will be doing with the Evo.

• Like 1

I see the GNex being a very soft launch with more marketing coming later. They don't want to draw to much attention until their 1st 6 markets are at least 50% complete. At that time they should declare them live. I have my bets that this will correlate with the launch of the Evo 4G Lte. I do see that as being a much bigger launch. Sprint will let it be known that they have the GNexus but not in a big way like they did and will be doing with the Evo.

I completely agree with what you said. I just wish that they would give us a release date. They don't have to have any hoopla around the announcement. Just quietly make the page live. At this point I would accept them just opening up the Galaxy Nexus "space" in the Sprint forums with a release date announcement. Just confirm what we all learned from Robert weeks ago.

What I find weird is that there were so many rumors about release dates, before now, yet not a single sliver of information on possible pricing of the GNex has been leaked at all.

With that being said, I can't wait for the 15th lol.

Went by a Sprint store today while walking to Starbucks from my hotel. No GNex today, nor did the staff have any idea when it was coming (Corporate store), so I guess we'll have to what to see what 4/22 brings.

I went by a corporate store today too. I didnt see any of the GNEX signs that were supposed to go up today but maybe they will be doing that tonight after closing. I asked a staff member if he knew anything. He said no but after I mentioned the rumors he told me that they have cases already but no phones. Then he suggested I check back mid-week. He seemed to know something but he couldn't/wouldn't share.

Edited by AJames25

Im thinking its gonna come out on apr 22nd or the 29th. I think Sprint is trying to push out the Gnex launch as long as possible without making it irrelevant so that it gives all the 3 vendors as much time as they can to deploy as many NV towers as possible before people start expecting to use LTE on it despite warnings that LTE coverage is very scarce.