Samsung Galaxy Note 5 User Thread

COZisBack

I live in eastern MA (NE Corner) and travel the area from here to Boston to Framingham, etc.

While I frequently have B41 I have yet to see any evidence of CA.

The menu says it's enabled but even when on Band 41 I have not yet seen anything other than CA not configured no matter where I am.

As the Boston area is supposedly rolled out / live with CA I am wondering why?

Thoughts?

Are you looking in the menu through view or edit.

The reason I'm asking is because I was told even though it shows enabled, if you view it through edit it will tell you whether it's on or off vs enabled (view). I found that to be true when I was looking through it under view it said enabled but when I looked through it under edit it showed off.

○ you'll need the devices MSL code to look under edit

Maverick....under VIEW

View, got it.

Yes in data menu

##data#

View & Edit are the options available

Without the MSL code the access to the edit will not be possible and Sprint are the ones with that information.

I don't really know if there are any restrictions in regards to gaining access to that information when it comes to the status of the finance options in regards to the device. That's a new one for me.

They clearly state that they won't "unlock" phones that are on lease plans until they are paid off.....and that includes the darn MSL code.

Maybe I should just call tech support and tell them my phone isn't getting CA like my buddies and mayne they will walk me through it and by doing so tell me what the "secret code" is to type in  :)

They clearly state that they won't "unlock" phones that are on lease plans until they are paid off.....and that includes the darn MSL code.

Maybe I should just call tech support and tell them my phone isn't getting CA like my buddies and mayne they will walk me through it and by doing so tell me what the "secret code" is to type in :)

Unlocking a phone vs a MSL code are entirely two different scenarios with entirely two different conditions or and requirements.

Have tried to get my MSL three times but sprint says since my phone is leased they won't give it to me. The paperwork given to me at Best Buy when I purchased only shows a Security Lock Code and that doesn't work.

Did you get an email from sprint when you activate your phone? That email contains your msl

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Took me a long time to do but the Note 5 mand S6 definitely do not support T-Mobile or At&t sims. : (

Funny, I got my Verizon version to work with my T-Mobile SIM, it helps that all VZ devices are unlocked due to the FCC's rules on Open Access in the 700 MHz block. I entered the fast.t-mobile.com APN, rebooted the Note, and off I went.

461c3ca177658b08c23f1d2c76af1b84.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Funny, I got my Verizon version to work with my T-Mobile SIM, it helps that all VZ devices are unlocked due to the FCC's rules on Open Access in the 700 MHz block. I entered the fast.t-mobile.com APN, rebooted the Note, and off I went.

461c3ca177658b08c23f1d2c76af1b84.jpg

The fcc should make Sprint do the same. It's 2015. You shouldn't have to get a new phone just to get on another network.

The fcc should make Sprint do the same. It's 2015. You shouldn't have to get a new phone just to get on another network.

Not gonna happen, no Sprint spectrum had any Open Access attached to it at auction. Some of the EBS still has tie ups with WiMax and educational entities but that was due to contracts Clearwire signed with those entities.

Not gonna happen, no Sprint spectrum had any Open Access attached to it at auction. Some of the EBS still has tie ups with WiMax and educational entities but that was due to contracts Clearwire signed with those entities.

What's the point of adding bands 2,4,5,12 if you can't switch domestically though? I understand the rural alliance areas but what about areas with no alliance. They are losing Verizon roaming soon and if I'm going to be without service in these areas the least they can do is let you switch carriers if need be. Also for international purposes this would be a huge convenience. Besides Sprint gives access to plenty of smaller carriers.

What's the point of adding bands 2,4,5,12 if you can't switch domestically though? I understand the rural alliance areas but what about areas with no alliance. They are losing Verizon roaming soon and if I'm going to be without service in these areas the least they can do is let you switch carriers if need be. Also for international purposes this would be a huge convenience. Besides Sprint gives access to plenty of smaller carriers.

Someone very highly paid and very smart has to figure all that out. My fear is that what will end up happening in the end is more excuses. Unfortunately I don't see an easy answer either.

Lte bands 2-4-5-12 were added for rural lte roaming and to help rural carriers acquire devices.

By itself, the smaller carriers have little buying power and would pay huge amounts to get unique low production run devices for themselves. Sprint, by ordering one SKu with the technology and band support of that of smaller carriers included defeats that issue since they're all buying the same device model that is physically unbranded. Thus a smaller carrier can order it through the CCA device partnership and get devices for their small operations at the same price as national tier 1 carrier (sprint) with the major difference just being the software and carrier specific apps that are downloaded.

• Like 2

Lte bands 2-4-5-12 were added for rural lte roaming and to help rural carriers acquire devices.

By itself, the smaller carriers have little buying power and would pay huge amounts to get unique low production run devices for themselves. Sprint, by ordering one SKu with the technology and band support of that of smaller carriers included defeats that issue since they're all buying the same device model that is physically unbranded. Thus a smaller carrier can order it through the CCA device partnership and get devices for their small operations at the same price as national tier 1 carrier (sprint) with the major difference just being the software and carrier specific apps that are downloaded.

Lilotimz I love your explanations. Im just going to pm you when I have network question. Thanks for the incite but what will Sprint do when they lose their Verizon roaming?

Lilotimz I love your explanations. Im just going to pm you when I have network question. Thanks for the incite but what will Sprint do when they lose their Verizon roaming?

You mean in 3-5 years from now?  Who knows?  But any loss would be only CDMA2000 roaming.  Sprint could ink an LTE roaming deal with VZW.  Sprint instead could go with LTE roaming on AT&T -- or maybe even with T-Mobile.  R-E-L-A-X.  Do not worry about it.  Time will tell the tale.  And there is a lot of time left.

AJ

• Like 1

So, should the FCC also make AT&T and T-Mobile add to their handsets CDMA2000 band classes 0/1/10, not to mention, LTE bands 13/25/26/41?  If not, that is one sided bullshit -- playing favorites for the good hearted "GSM" operators and against the evil "CDMA" operators.

AJ

• Like 1

So, should the FCC also make AT&T and T-Mobile add to their handsets CDMA2000 band classes 0/1/10, not to mention, LTE bands 13/25/26/41? If not, that is one sided bullshit -- playing favorites for the good hearted "GSM" operators and against the evil "CDMA" operators.

AJ

If tmobile or At&t decided for some reason to have Sprint's bands then yeah. Sprint already has the bands for them so why not allow T-Mobile or At&t roaming? It's not hurting Verizon. The only problem would be the T-Mobile band 12 volte mess.

If tmobile or At&t decided for some reason to have Sprint's bands then yeah. Sprint already has the bands for them so why not allow T-Mobile or At&t roaming?

AT&T and T-Mobile intentionally exclude CDMA2000 from their devices.  So, never think of them as the good hearted, open armed "GSM" operators.

And roaming is a business decision.  As long as we stick to the current wireless service competitive market, the only FCC role is to ensure FRAND roaming rates, not to enforce roaming for everyone on every network.

AJ

AT&T and T-Mobile intentionally exclude CDMA2000 from their devices. So, never think of them as the good hearted, open armed "GSM" operators.

And roaming is a business decision. As long as we stick to the current wireless service competitive market, the only FCC role is to ensure FRAND roaming rates, not to enforce roaming for everyone on every network.

AJ

I guess we will have to wait for a LTE only world before your able to roam on any carrier. Or you know get a Nexus or Iphone.

I guess we will have to wait for a LTE only world before your able to roam on any carrier. Or you know get a Nexus or Iphone.

Or get a 2015 Moto X.

But you still do not get what you want -- which is not even roaming at will, but service at will.  Maybe that will come with nascent virtual SIM technology.  Right on the device, choose from all available providers, no contract, just available rates.  Change providers or services at will.

That is years off.  Maybe Apple will make it happen.

AJ

History is written by the victors. In this case, it's the GSM/UMTS camp. That said, I would have been for CDMA being included in all devices as long as the government also insured that royalties were held down to reasonable levels. That said, Qualcomm can certainly drop down CDMA to nil royalty wise and then include it in every baseband they produce. Yet they don't even as the beginning of the end is finally visible. Qualcomm didn't really care about CDMA winning the war. They only cared about how much money they could milk out of it. There's a long history of proprietary standards losing to open ones even when the proprietary standards are superior. Apple finally figured out how to crack that code but it took a LONG time to figure out.

• Like 3