Switch to Sprint or no?

Jaramie3

Sprint and T-Mobile might be merged by 2017 anyway

I'm seeing a whole lot of nope in this post because of the fact that A) FCC would never allow it 2) DT and SoftBank won't bother again and Purple) John & Marcelo hate each other

• Like 2

I'm seeing a whole lot of nope in this post because of the fact that A) FCC would never allow it 2) DT and SoftBank won't bother again and Purple) John & Marcelo hate each other

Not in this administration, but if there's a Republican government, all bets are off. I'd bet Hillary Clinton would approve it too. 

• Like 2

they are all good reasons, but I like the "John & Marcelo hate each other" the best. John has been fun and stirred things up, but its time for a grownup, and Marcelo's tweet  Straight Outta Bullsh*t shows he can be fun too.

• Like 3

Not in this administration, but if there's a Republican government, all bets are off. I'd bet Hillary Clinton would approve it too. 

Even then I wonder if there would be enough public outcry after groups point at what is going on in Canada. Masa is right... we still have overpriced crappy service compared to the rest of the modern world. Going to three carriers is not going to help.

Plus, what would Fabian do?

• Like 2

I specifically looked for other carriers' sites in Wrightsville Beach a few weeks ago when I was there. Counts are as follows:

Verizon: 1 (makes sense, VZW and USCC hold the two CLR licenses there so Verizon doesn't need density)

AT&T: 2 (again, no CLR so their network has to be more dense)

Sprint: 1 + a COW (the macro has narrow beamwidth antennas so service was great even on the far corners of the island, and the COW augmented service nicely on the Wrightsville Beach Park part of the island)

T-Mobile: 0 (the closest site I could find was at the mainland intersection of 76 and 74 just west of Lumina Station technically in Wilmington, equipped with LTE AIR21s)

All of that said, unless you keep your phone in LTE-only or do the "opposite-of-death-grip" finger dance, you will frequently drop Sprint LTE on 74. I do suspect that problem can be solved by B26 optimization though.

• Like 2

Even then I wonder if there would be enough public outcry after groups point at what is going on in Canada. Masa is right... we still have overpriced crappy service compared to the rest of the modern world. Going to three carriers is not going to help.

Plus, what would Fabian do?

Well if Ookla finds faster service in a bunch of other countries I'm sure the Magentans will start talking about T-Mobile's increased reliability and B12 at that point. 

Fwiw, still getting only one bar on my HTC One with sprint unlimited, less than a mile up.the road, I get full bars, so I have been sitting in parking lots to upload my youtube videos since time warner cable sucks, I get 1 mbps with their broadband service, but 5 with sprint if I head up the road.......shouldn't have to buy a new phone every few months, I can't afford a new phone

Fwiw, still getting only one bar on my HTC One with sprint unlimited, less than a mile up.the road, I get full bars, so I have been sitting in parking lots to upload my youtube videos since time warner cable sucks, I get 1 mbps with their broadband service, but 5 with sprint if I head up the road.......shouldn't have to buy a new phone every few months, I can't afford a new phone

Sounds a bit inconvenient... Is this with T-Mobile or Sprint?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

....shouldn't have to buy a new phone every few months, I can't afford a new phone

Buy a new phone every few months? Who said you have to do that? What does that have to do with anything?

If your profile is accurate and you have an M7, than that is hardly a "few months." It's more than time for a new device at this point. 

Sounds a bit inconvenient... Is this with T-Mobile or Sprint?

Says Sprint.

Buy a new phone every few months? Who said you have to do that? What does that have to do with anything?

If your profile is accurate and you have an M7, than that is hardly a "few months." It's more than time for a new device at this point.

Says Sprint.

Sprint ....and I think if I heard correctly, I'm basically gonna have to buy a new phone every time sprint decides to change their signals, etc.....as a lot of us know we were promised 4 g when the evo came out, the 4 g model, I had that, then waited, then when I heard sprint got live with lte , I was promised incredible speeds, so.I shelled out big bucks for the HTC one, and that was I guess too long ago, now I need a new phone, .....as soon a I get a new phone and she'll.out another $$$ , the technology will change and my new phone will be requiring upgrades, I just don't understand

Sprint ....and I think if I heard correctly, I'm basically gonna have to buy a new phone every time sprint decides to change their signals, etc.....as a lot of us know we were promised 4 g when the evo came out, the 4 g model, I had that, then waited, then when I heard sprint got live with lte , I was promised incredible speeds, so.I shelled out big bucks for the HTC one, and that was I guess too long ago, now I need a new phone, .....as soon a I get a new phone and she'll.out another $$$ , the technology will change and my new phone will be requiring upgrades, I just don't understand

Technology evolves every few years. You can say the same for any of the carriers. If you want rural coverage with T-Mobile, you need a new device with B12 support. If you want super fast speeds on Verizon, you need a new phone with "XLTE" support. If you want access to carrier aggregation to relieve struggling speeds on AT&T, you need a new device which supports CA.

The WiMax rollout was not the greatest, so coverage with the EVO 4G was not the greatest. That much is true. 

LTE covers much of Sprint's network now. And the M7 only has moderate LTE reception. Upgrading to a new device would not only get you better LTE reception, but also access to B26 which gives you better coverage than your current B25 access, and also B41 for fast speeds plus Carrier Aggregation for even faster speeds. If you upgrade to a CA capable device this year, you should be set for some time. Yes, technology will continue to evolve and new enhancements/features/bands may be added. It's just the nature of the field. 

• Like 1

Technology evolves every few years. You can say the same for any of the carriers. If you want rural coverage with T-Mobile, you need a new device with B12 support. If you want super fast speeds on Verizon, you need a new phone with "XLTE" support. If you want access to carrier aggregation to relieve struggling speeds on AT&T, you need a new device which supports CA.

The WiMax rollout was not the greatest, so coverage with the EVO 4G was not the greatest. That much is true.

LTE covers much of Sprint's network now. And the M7 only has moderate LTE reception. Upgrading to a new device would not only get you better LTE reception, but also access to B26 which gives you better coverage than your current B25 access, and also B41 for fast speeds plus Carrier Aggregation for even faster speeds. If you upgrade to a CA capable device this year, you should be set for some time. Yes, technology will continue to evolve and new enhancements/features/bands may be added. It's just the nature of the field.

So even know I can go less than a mile up the road and get incredible let speeds, at least incredible from.what I'm used to, ......you all are saying if I got a new phone, I wouldn't have to go up the street anymore to get high 4 g lte speeds ? That the new phone will be on a better band ? Because right now, if I go about 3/4 mile up.the road, I can get 12 to 14 mbps download, and maybe 11 to.12 mbps upload......at home, it's barely a fraction of that speed only 3/4 mile away.......

So my question is, do the new phones have such greater ability to receive the cell signal and thus give out much greater speeds on both dl and ul

So even know I can go less than a mile up the road and get incredible let speeds, at least incredible from.what I'm used to, ......you all are saying if I got a new phone, I wouldn't have to go up the street anymore to get high 4 g lte speeds ? That the new phone will be on a better band ? Because right now, if I go about 3/4 mile up.the road, I can get 12 to 14 mbps download, and maybe 11 to.12 mbps upload......at home, it's barely a fraction of that speed only 3/4 mile away.......

So my question is, do the new phones have such greater ability to receive the cell signal and thus give out much greater speeds on both dl and ul

To some degree yes. Every situation is different. If there is an obstruction between you and the cell site, it may be difficult to improve on the signal. Also depends on the construction of your home. If it's an RF trap, it's going to be tough to improve on the signal. Do you know what site you are connecting to? (I'm sure you're aware we have maps of all of Sprint's towers in our Sponsor's section. Also their current upgrade status).

To some degree yes. Every situation is different. If there is an obstruction between you and the cell site, it may be difficult to improve on the signal. Also depends on the construction of your home. If it's an RF trap, it's going to be tough to improve on the signal. Do you know what site you are connecting to? (I'm sure you're aware we have maps of all of Sprint's towers in our Sponsor's section. Also their current upgrade status).

I'm going by what signal I can get just outside the house, but the home is typical two story brick / poured foundation.......but as I mentioned, I getting one bar outside right now, yes, there are trees and other homes in line of sight between my.location and 3/4 mile up the street ......

What is the name of that mapping software , used to have it and I did map.out several a to b travels , it had the little colored circles that indicated signal strength, and it let you map out your route ?

Text it to my yourself...works great.

How do I text a screenshot in my photo.gallery.....I even scaled down the image size to smallest possible, if my phone is so old and outdated, why is a simple screen grab too big too big to big too post.....

How do I text a screenshot in my photo.gallery.....I even scaled down the image size to smallest possible, if my phone is so old and outdated, why is a simple screen grab too big too big to big too post.....

To pay for the storage would send our site costs through the roof. You need to use a third party host, such as imgur or photobucket or dropbox.

I'm going by what signal I can get just outside the house, but the home is typical two story brick / poured foundation.......but as I mentioned, I getting one bar outside right now, yes, there are trees and other homes in line of sight between my.location and 3/4 mile up the street ......

What is the name of that mapping software , used to have it and I did map.out several a to b travels , it had the little colored circles that indicated signal strength, and it let you map out your route ?

I'm not sure what app you are talking about. Brick buildings are terrible for RF signals. Not quite as bad as metal though.

Also, seeing as this conversation is fairly location specific, it may be best to move the conversation to the Cincinnati thread, as you may get some better input from the locals.  

To pay for the storage would send our site costs through the roof. You need to use a third party host, such as imgur or photobucket or dropbox.

I'm not sure what app you are talking about. Brick buildings are terrible for RF signals. Not quite as bad as metal though.

Also, seeing as this conversation is fairly location specific, it may be best to move the conversation to the Cincinnati thread, as you may get some better input from the locals.

It's Upload specific.....sent the image to.My e mail like someone mentioned, and even created a new folder in gallery but it still won't let me post a simple screenshot image to this thread......is this old dinosaur phone too powerful ( image wise ) to send a pic, ?

I'll see if I can find some editing software to get the image small enough to post, what is the max allowed ??

I have photo bucket, drop box , Google drive , I'll try to link from photo bucket later, this is getting pretty complicated, I used to have no problems posting screenshots of my dl speeds etc, etc

Yeah it's 8kb max or something. Actually, might work better from your phone using Tapatalk. Sorry I assumed you were on your phone.

It's Upload specific.....sent the image to.My e mail like someone mentioned, and even created a new folder in gallery but it still won't let me post a simple screenshot image to this thread......is this old dinosaur phone too powerful ( image wise ) to send a pic, ?

I'll see if I can find some editing software to get the image small enough to post, what is the max allowed ??

This site does not host your image, so you cannot upload it here. You need to use a third party. It's not that complicated. Tapatalk will host it if you use the image attachment function (the image button, not the paper clip button).

This site does not host your image, so you cannot upload it here. You need to use a third party. It's not that complicated. Tapatalk will host it if you use the image attachment function (the image button, not the paper clip button).

Ok, I just tried to post my sensorly data, I think I used the paper clip icon for attachment but it only.let's me post do far, maybe a brand new galaxy 6 would let me post further idk, I'm still learning as I go along,

I'll photobucket my sensory data again.in a while if I can figure out why this phone won't let me direct post to any thread, even from a photobucket image that I shared to the thread.......