Sprint to end 2 Year Contracts

JimBob

Oh really, how else will I get GREAT deals like the one I mentioned? Everyone needs a new phone sooner or later.

Must you have the latest "flagship" often and as soon as it's released?

The answer for me is no to both.

Waiting a couple of months (Android) will usually yield excellent prices.

Haven't spent 6 bills on a phone and can't imagine doing so.

There are options.????

• Like 2

What I'm saying is back in 2008, up until the day we can get a contract upgrade for this plan, this plan was and still is a steal. Obviously, all things gold is not forever. Everyone else phased out unlimited data and the only other guy that still does "deprioritizes" you after 21GB. If you really wanna have unlimited data going forward, you're not gonna do better than where you currently stand. It doesn't get better for the price. It's been a good run but this is a business in an industry where this isn't exactly the most sensible thing to offer to everyone in the long run. You gotta pull the plug on it eventually, just like everyone else has and like Marcelo has stated.

Can you have your unlimited everything plan from 2008? Yes you can, it's yours and you got it and your loyalty kept it. But this plan is a contract based plan in an era when contracts are fading away. Can you still keep it? Yes. Is it gonna be cheap? No, because they want you to switch to another plan that's easier on their network. Verizon killed unlimited and the only way to get new phones for those grandfathered in is to pay full price, not even financing. If you want it so bad after its gone, you pay the piper. Otherwise change your habits. Because you're not getting this anywhere else.

I'm not refuting anything you are saying in this post.

Other than the fact that I'm not substantially paying less than what other current plans are priced at for a non-new customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than the fact that I'm not substantially paying less than what other current plans are priced at for a non-new customer.

I'm on ED 1500 with 4 lines, switching to the 10GB plan next month - base plan is dropping from $210 including all the lines and "Premium Data" fees to $145. That's pretty substantial for me and mine. Will upgrades bring that price up? Yeah. But I get to enjoy a significantly cheaper plan while not upgrading all my lines.

Food for thought.

• Like 2

Sure the more lines you add the more you save with any plan. I have 3 lines on the ED. I pay $179 before taxes and fees and discounts. 3 @ $60.

I also had to pay a few $100 up front for the 3 phones.

Not far off from your average.

The people really below the average are those that took advantage of the Framily plan and are paying $25 or $30 for service.

Then the other plan offerings won't be so bad for you.

Lease options would be awesome...if the damn phones where universally compatible with other carriers. The only great thing about no contracts is the ability to move between carriers. That's absolutely impossible with how most phones only support carrier-specific LTE bands.

Is it just me, or have prices either stayed the same or gone up on all carriers, all while subsidies have been dropped?

• Like 2

I'm on ED 1500 with 4 lines, switching to the 10GB plan next month - base plan is dropping from $210 including all the lines and "Premium Data" fees to $145. That's pretty substantial for me and mine. Will upgrades bring that price up? Yeah. But I get to enjoy a significantly cheaper plan while not upgrading all my lines.

Food for thought.

Right now since I have 2 lines still under contract it would cost me $195 for 3 lines before the full $20 lease fee for the other line. If I let my contacts run out without upgrading then I will probably get on a data share plan. I still have another year before that happens.

The new plans aren't cheaper than what I have. Also, the $100+$120 for 20-40gb is for NEW customers only. Options are a great thing, but if it ain't broken, why try to fix it?!! Leave my contract in place; let ME choose....the customer.

• Like 1

Right now since I have 2 lines still under contract it would cost me $195 for 3 lines before the full $20 lease fee for the other line. If I let my contacts run out without upgrading then I will probably get on a data share plan. I still have another year before that happens.

You don't have to run out the contracts. I have 3 phones on contract, getting $15 access charges anyway. They won't charge $40 a line if the line is eligible for an upgrade, according to a rep I spoke to about this. If you check the "Change my plan" page with contracted phones eligible for upgrade, you should see this.

The new plans aren't cheaper than what I have. Also, the $100+$120 for 20-40gb is for NEW customers only. Options are a great thing, but if it ain't broken, why try to fix it?!! Leave my contract in place; let ME choose....the customer.

Sprint will not kick you off the current plan but when it's time to renew you may not be able to.

Edited by AppleFanBoy

Those plans are available to us, we just have to pay the access charge for the lines. They aren't "fixing" it. Contracts aren't the best options for customers or the carriers themselves, they're better off with financing. You can keep the plan but they won't do the contracts. It's their call because it's their network and it's their service, VZW has proven this before.

You don't have to run out the contracts. I have 3 phones on contract, getting $15 access charges anyway. They won't charge $40 a line if the line is eligible for an upgrade, according to a rep I spoke to about this. If you check the "Change my plan" page with contracted phones eligible for upgrade, you should see this.

Exactly but I'm not upgrade eligible.

Exactly. Let me have the option to choose contract or not at the time of renewing.

I doubt that will happen but I know people who still get to renew unlimited data plans with AT&T and get subsidized phones so you never know.

Edited by AppleFanBoy

Plain and simple; THIS SUCKS.

Yes, yes it does sucks. It sucks being on a plan that's been a steal since 2008, and it sucks that you can't do a contract upgrade to keep this amazing plan that nobody else offers. The world isn't fair, but at least you still have the plan friend.

• Like 6

Yes, yes it does sucks. It sucks being on a plan that's been a steal since 2008, and it sucks that you can't do a contract upgrade to keep this amazing plan that nobody else offers. The world isn't fair, but at least you still have the plan friend.

Well said.

Wish I could thumbs up this post more.

• Like 2

Lease options would be awesome...if the damn phones where universally compatible with other carriers. The only great thing about no contracts is the ability to move between carriers. That's absolutely impossible with how most phones only support carrier-specific LTE bands.

Is it just me, or have prices either stayed the same or gone up on all carriers, all while subsidies have been dropped?

iPhone has stayed the same, Samsung tried a price rise but drop the price 4 months after launch to a lower price than the s5 sold for.

I have a legacy plan.

They extended my contract from 20 to 24 months, which IMO was a violation of the terms but whatever, thats another discussion. My renewal is September 1st.

If I am unable to get a 2-year contract on September 1st I will be very, very upset. Especially after the football was moved away from me.

Come on, now.  That is a distortion.  No one extended your contract.  It was always a 24 month contract.  Sprint previously allowed early subsidized upgrades at 20 months with contract renewal.  It was basically a perk at Sprint's discretion.  Sprint has since changed subsidized upgrade eligibility to 24 months to coincide with contract completion.

Sheesh, too many of you are seemingly addicted to subsidized devices.  You view upgrade eligibility as the length of your contract -- even though those two pieces are separate.  Your contract is there to pay off the subsidy you received on your current subsidized device, not to pay forward on your next subsidized device.  And when Sprint eventually pulls the plug mid contract on all future subsidized upgrade eligibility, many of you will act as if you have been cheated.  But you will be wrong.  Still, you will complain about it.

AJ

• Like 7

I am on SERO and love 2 year contracts.   If they do away with them, then I think I might leave Sprint.   This sucks. :(

leave sprint for who? AT&T is the last nation wide carrier to have 2 year contracts... you think they wont  follow everyone else?

I think 49% of people that still chooses Easy Pay or Contract upgrade should not be neglected here.  I like that Sprint offers choice, unlike the competition.  

the question is do the 49% of people prefer 2 year contract subsidies or do they just fear change so they stick with what they know, i know many people who don't under stand lease or easy pay... so they stick with what they know ($200 phone on 2 year contract) not everyone follows this stuff as close as we all do.  Take my girlfriend for example she didn't understand lease at first, but when she pick up the iPhone and didn't have to pay a cent in the store and only $25/month for the phone she was very happy with the choice.  I think most people will be ok with the change, most view it as the phone used to cost $200, but now it is no down payment and $15-$30 per month (of course that varies wildly from phone to phone)

• Like 2