Sprint to end 2 Year Contracts

JimBob

I'm hoping if they force legacy plans off subsidized phone prices they'll offer a ~$15-20 credit like they did to get you to lease, although personally I mean My Way because the ED plans are still a good deal even if you have to tack ~$20 on top of them.

Why? Look you guys have been under paying for years if that comes to an end you are just paying what everyone else is. If Can you find a better some where else then good but I am not going to lose sleep over ED plans have to go to installments.

So from today 2 year contracts are gone?

I don't believe so. They are still on the website. I also hope this change will only apply to new customers or current customers financing/leasing a phone.

Leasing is you don't own the phone at all. You pay a monthly reduced price and have to give the device back in perfect condition to Sprint or they will charge you the full price (or you can choose to buy it at full price then). 

Easy pay is paying installments onto phones full price. You completely own the phone once you pay it off (either at the end of whenever inbetween) and can do whatever the hell you want. For a flagship phone like the S6 it'll be like $27 a month compared to like $20 a month if one wants to lease. 

So in the end if one leases say a S6 for $20 a month they'll be paying $480 at the end of 2 years with the option to pay $100+ more to buy out the phone if it's in terrible condition or person likes it. Else they can just turn it in and get a new device.

Easy pay is you're paying for the entire price of the phone. At the end of the installements, you've paid off the entire phone and it belongs to you. You don't have to turn it back into Sprint and keep the phone in good condition since at the end of the installments you'll paid out ~$500-600 which is the full price. 

You have the option to pay the rest of the phone amount at the end of the two year leasing option if you would like to keep the phone after leasing it. It was in the fine print when I signed for the leasing option when I upgraded my phone on my Everything Data Shared 1500. 

Untitled_zpsunpgtze0.png

• Like 1

Why? Look you guys have been under paying for years if that comes to an end you are just paying what everyone else is. If Can you find a better some where else then good but I am not going to lose sleep over ED plans have to go to installments.

Underpaying? What have we been underpaying for exactly? I guess if gas prices are cheaper in my area than yours then I guess I've been underpaying there as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by AppleFanBoy
  • Like 5

Underpaying? What have we been underpaying for exactly? I guess if gas prices are cheaper in my area than yours then I guess I've been underpaying there as well.

That isn't a good analogy. A better one is if you to a gas station and you paid a lower price for gas than everyone else at that station. I am not blaming you I am just saying the fact that what you pay for wireless service with sprint might move up more toward the average of what everyone else pays for the same service isn't something that bothers me.

That isn't a good analogy. A better one is if you to a gas station and you paid a lower price for gas than everyone else at that station. I am not blaming you I am just saying the fact that what you pay for wireless service with sprint might move up more toward the average of what everyone else pays for the same service isn't something that bothers me.

OK fair enough. What is the average?

OK fair enough. What is the average?

If I remember correctly sprint's arpu+installments/lease was in the mid to low 60s. Also, if I remember correctly an ED family plan maxed out carries an arpu of ~45 or so.

If I remember correctly sprint's arpu+installments/lease was in the mid to low 60s. Also, if I remember correctly an ED family plan maxed out carries an arpu of ~45 or so.

Sure the more lines you add the more you save with any plan. I have 3 lines on the ED. I pay $179 before taxes and fees and discounts. 3 @ $60.

I also had to pay a few $100 up front for the 3 phones.

Not far off from your average.

The people really below the average are those that took advantage of the Framily plan and are paying $25 or $30 for service.

Sure the more lines you add the more you save with any plan. I have 3 lines on the ED. I pay $179 before taxes and fees and discounts. 3 @ $60.

The people really below the average are those that took advantage of the Framily plan and are paying $25 or $30 for service.

It's not the same because Framly does not have the subsidy.

• Like 3

I thought the minimum a person on Framily would pay for unlimited data would be $45 (without any subsidy)?  People who paid $25 only received 2GB of data.

I would consider the average price for unlimited data would be $60.  With the subsidy included in your plan for $60, would it be safe to say you were saving about $200 or more per line per year?

Unlimited data is expensive.  Anyone on any plan that is paying less than $60 for unlimited data (regardless of subsidy) has a good deal.

It's not the same because Framly does not have the subsidy.

Sure its the same. It's a fee for service.

But let's take your average for non-ED plans of mid-$60. Say $65 over 24 months thats $1560 for one line and one phone.

For my ED I average $60 a month for 24 months for one line. That's $1440. Plus the $200 I had to pay for the phone up front. That's $1640 for one line and one phone.

Hey wait I'm getting ripped off. I'll be glad when everyone gets off those below average non-contract plans.

Oh really, how else will I get GREAT deals like the one I mentioned? Everyone needs a new phone sooner or later.

You finance or lease at discount. You switch to a cheaper newer plan. You save money in one aspect or another. The whole industry is kicking contracts to the curb so don't act like this is the first. T-Mobile guys dealt with this two years ago; we'll be fine.

We just need a damn cheap unlimited plan. Or Music Freedom.

I have 1500 all unlimited, loyalty minutes unlimited. There is NO cheaper plan. They're just forcing me to pay more!! Wrong move.

40GB $120 a month. Or do you abuse your unlimited like a lot of people this forum disapproves of?

40GB $120 a month. Or do you abuse your unlimited like a lot of people this forum disapproves of?

I don't abuse. Between 5 lines we all use about 35gb a month. My bill is $254, that's 52 dollars and some change individually. Doesn't get any better. I/we need contract! Edited by ttwiitch
  • Like 1

So let's be clear just because us ED plan participants have unlimited data does not mean we use a lot of data. In fact all 3 of my lines use <10 GB total. I have a hard time squeezing that out. I would have to use my phone to stream a heck of a lot more to reach that 40 GB mark. So in my mind 40 GB is slightly abusive based my usage.

I don't abuse. Between 5 lines we all use about 35gb a month. My bill is $254, that's 52 dollars and some change individually. Doesn't get any better. I/we need contract!

Well if you wanna stay unlimited you can. It just won't be cheap. And no one else in this industry is gonna offer you a dirt cheap unlimited plan without throttling, no excuse me, deprioritizing you during the day.

This is not the end of the world, you're not losing your plan. Are you paying more for what you and your family needs? Yes. But that's the premium you pay in these times when there's only one guy providing you what you need.

• Like 2

Well if you wanna stay unlimited you can. It just won't be cheap. And no one else in this industry is gonna offer you a dirt cheap unlimited plan without throttling, no excuse me, deprioritizing you during the day.

This is not the end of the world, you're not losing your plan. Are you paying more for what you and your family needs? Yes. But that's the premium you pay in these times when there's only one guy providing you what you need.

So which is it? We are paying too much or not paying enough?

Honestly I'm just sick and tired of all the whining about how much of a cancer we are on the company for having ED plans when the numbers show differently.

Rant over.

• Like 2

So which is it? We are paying too much or not paying enough?

Honestly I'm just sick and tired of all the whining about how much of a cancer we are on the company for having ED plans when the numbers show differently.

Rant over.

What I'm saying is back in 2008, up until the day we can get a contract upgrade for this plan, this plan was and still is a steal. Obviously, all things gold is not forever. Everyone else phased out unlimited data and the only other guy that still does "deprioritizes" you after 21GB. If you really wanna have unlimited data going forward, you're not gonna do better than where you currently stand. It doesn't get better for the price. It's been a good run but this is a business in an industry where this isn't exactly the most sensible thing to offer to everyone in the long run. You gotta pull the plug on it eventually, just like everyone else has and like Marcelo has stated.

Can you have your unlimited everything plan from 2008? Yes you can, it's yours and you got it and your loyalty kept it. But this plan is a contract based plan in an era when contracts are fading away. Can you still keep it? Yes. Is it gonna be cheap? No, because they want you to switch to another plan that's easier on their network. Verizon killed unlimited and the only way to get new phones for those grandfathered in is to pay full price, not even financing. If you want it so bad after its gone, you pay the piper. Otherwise change your habits. Because you're not getting this anywhere else.

• Like 1