Sprint to end 2 Year Contracts

JimBob

This is just a non issue. Just purchase the phone full price (Apple.com) and keep the legacy plan. I will never give up my ED 1500 with unlimited for my three lines. I save a ton of money compared to the new pricing plus I use so much data I need this plan to last.

So now you're paying the same price you were before, plus the cost of the phone that was originally "baked in" to your plan cost. So for a 16GB iPhone, that's a $450 price hike (650-200).

$450 isn't a non issue for me...

I'd love to get out of the overpriced handset racket, but for better for worse I am an iPhone user, and we all know Apple will never cut the price of the iPhone. They'd stop making phones before they do that. Too much pride for their premium status..

The iPhone isn't immune to market pricing. Apple dropped the price of the first one a few months after launch to boost sales. Then they went all in with subsidies and that's how they made the huge profits. Subsidies are really ending for good just now so we need to give it a little time to see what happens. To be fair a 0% loan is a subsidy to but it's way more transparent than the previous model.

• Like 2

So now you're paying the same price you were before, plus the cost of the phone that was originally "baked in" to your plan cost. So for a 16GB iPhone, that's a $450 price hike (650-200).

$450 isn't a non issue for me...

This is very true.  It isn't a non issue for you because you don't need unlimited data.

It is, however, a non issue for the person you replied to.  That person does need unlimited data.  He pays about $60 per line for unlimited.  There's no other provider that can match that value, subsidized phone included or not.

If and when legacy users get their subsidized phones and loyalty credits taken away, they're going to decide how much they value their unlimited data.  Given how often most people are on Wi-Fi, the majority of those on Sprint legacy plans may opt to leave Sprint.  There are other providers and MVNOs that have better plans than ED1500 for those who don't need unlimited data.

He pays about $60 per line for unlimited.  There's no other provider that can match that value, subsidized phone included or not.

Actually, you can match that now with four lines on AT&T. You can get a $19.99/mo U-Verse TV package to qualify for the new "unlimited" (de-prioritized over 22 GB) wireless plans (which is then discounted by $10/month for combined billing) and then throw the receiver in the closet and forget about it. Four lines will cost $180/mo ($60 plan + $40 each for lines 1-3 + $0 for line 4), bringing the total before taxes and fees to $189.99/mo, or about $48/line.

The only info I can find today on the Everything Data 1500 plan shows it as $110 for the first line + $19.99 each for lines 2-4 + $10 for Premium Data on each line, totaling $209.97/mo (or about $52/line). You would be paying slightly more than you would with AT&T, and you wouldn't have unlimited minutes, but you would still have nights/weekends starting at 7PM (in addition to Any Mobile, Anytime), and you would still be eligible for device subsidies.

For sake of completeness:

• Everything Plus Family 1600 is $109.99 for lines 1-2 + $14.99 each for lines 3-4 + $10 each for Premium Data on each line, totaling $179.97/mo (or about $45/line) and still including device subsidies.
  • Framily with maximum discount is $25 each line + $20 each line for unlimited data, totaling $180/mo (or $45/line) with no subsidies.
  • Everything Plus Framily with maximum discount is $25 each line + $15 each line for unlimited data, totaling $160/mo (or $40/line) with no subsidies.

Actually, you can match that now with four lines on AT&T. You can get a $19.99/mo U-Verse TV package to qualify for the new "unlimited" (de-prioritized over 22 GB) wireless plans (which is then discounted by $10/month for combined billing) and then throw the receiver in the closet and forget about it. Four lines will cost $180/mo ($60 plan + $40 each for lines 1-3 + $0 for line 4), bringing the total before taxes and fees to $189.99/mo, or about $48/line.

The only info I can find today on the Everything Data 1500 plan shows it as $110 for the first line + $19.99 each for lines 2-4 + $10 for Premium Data on each line, totaling $209.97/mo (or about $52/line). You would be paying slightly more than you would with AT&T, and you wouldn't have unlimited minutes, but you would still have nights/weekends starting at 7PM (in addition to Any Mobile, Anytime), and you would still be eligible for device subsidies.

For sake of completeness:

• Everything Plus Family 1600 is $109.99 for lines 1-2 + $14.99 each for lines 3-4 + $10 each for Premium Data on each line, totaling $179.97/mo (or about $45/line) and still including device subsidies.
  • Framily with maximum discount is $25 each line + $20 each line for unlimited data, totaling $180/mo (or $45/line) with no subsidies.
  • Everything Plus Framily with maximum discount is $25 each line + $15 each line for unlimited data, totaling $160/mo (or $40/line) with no subsidies.

This is a good point.  This plan would definitely be comparable for many people.

However, the person in question only has three lines.  It would be $190 on AT&T (60+40+40+40).  It would be $180 on Sprint (110+20+20+10+10+10).  That $190 would not include the AT&T U-Verse $20, would it?  U-Verse may not be an option for everyone.

Personally, I pay $240 for 5 lines ($48 per line) on ED1500.  The minutes are unlimited (loyalty promotion offer from last year) and there is no de-prioritization that I know of (as of now at least).

This is a good point.  This plan would definitely be comparable for many people.

However, the person in question only has three lines.  It would be $190 on AT&T (60+40+40+40).  It would be $180 on Sprint (110+20+20+10+10+10).  That $190 would not include the AT&T U-Verse $20, would it?  U-Verse may not be an option for everyone.

Personally, I pay $240 for 5 lines ($48 per line) on ED1500.  The minutes are unlimited (loyalty promotion offer from last year) and there is no de-prioritization that I know of (as of now at least).

The $190 does include the U-Verse TV package. It's $180 for the wireless plan, $20 for the TV package, and a $10 combined billing credit. DirecTV subscribers also qualify, essentially making it a national offer.

• Like 1

It is a non issue to me, since I pay 152 for ED 1500 with 3 lines. Nothing else compares to that with unlimited data, plus having to switch to AT&T /direct tv would be a nightmare. I get a nice discount from Sprint for my employer than I get a discount from Sprint for having automatic debt to pay my bill. Trust me I have crunched the numbers with other carriers and it's would pain me to leave my Sprint plan.

This is very true.  It isn't a non issue for you because you don't need unlimited data.

It is, however, a non issue for the person you replied to.  That person does need unlimited data.  He pays about $60 per line for unlimited.  There's no other provider that can match that value, subsidized phone included or not.

If and when legacy users get their subsidized phones and loyalty credits taken away, they're going to decide how much they value their unlimited data.  Given how often most people are on Wi-Fi, the majority of those on Sprint legacy plans may opt to leave Sprint.  There are other providers and MVNOs that have better plans than ED1500 for those who don't need unlimited data.

I certainly don't need unlimited data, I just like having it. You're right. Even with my phone hardly on WiFi at all, I barely crack 4GB of usage a month. If I used WiFi at work, I'd probably barely hit 1.5GB per month. I just don't use a whole lot of data. Music is stored on my phone. I don't really stream video on my phone that much. I'm probably Sprint's favorite type of Unlimited customer.

Like many, though, my usage has been steadily trending upward for years - and that's why I've kept Unlimited, besides having a bill that's the same month to month.

If my estimates are correct, I'll get a better deal elsewhere when subsidies die for me, based upon my usage. Time will tell if Sprint offers legacy customers special rates when subsidies die for them. It would seem like they'd be inclined to keep them, since that's a heck of a lot cheaper than paying someone else $300-600 per line to switch.

The lack of subsidies isn't what I dislike about this whole thing (I don't really mind paying full sticker for my phone honestly, we've all essentially been doing it all along just in a different way). It's the price increase, and re-configuring my plan to better align with my usage may allow me to stay with Sprint. We'll see how it all comes out in the wash.

Unless you never upgrade your phones and/or purchase them off-contract for full price, AT&T is a lousy deal.  ED1500 is far cheaper, when you consider the phone upgrade options with pre-billed device subsidy already included.  It's actually so cheap that I've been sitting on two upgrades now for awhile.  Hopefully HTC or Samsung bring out something that'll wow me.

ED1500 is far cheaper, when you consider the phone upgrade options with pre-billed device subsidy already included.  It's actually so cheap that I've been sitting on two upgrades now for awhile.  Hopefully HTC or Samsung bring out something that'll wow me.

And you need not be told this, but if you are committed to your Everything Data plan for the next two years, you may want to utilize those subsidized upgrades, not sit on them.  They could disappear with little, if any notice.  You have not earned nor banked those upgrades.  Rather, Sprint allows them at its discretion.  And if Sprint ends two year contracts for all subs, those upgrades evaporate.

AJ

I have created a more narrowly focused thread: 2 year subsidy phone upgrades early warning info.

Edited by dkyeager

Unless you never upgrade your phones and/or purchase them off-contract for full price, AT&T is a lousy deal. ED1500 is far cheaper, when you consider the phone upgrade options with pre-billed device subsidy already included. It's actually so cheap that I've been sitting on two upgrades now for awhile. Hopefully HTC or Samsung bring out something that'll wow me.

This is true today, but without the subsidies, AT&T's price becomes a lot more competitive for an (arguably) stronger network (outside of NY/SF anyway).

I think eliminating the subsidies would have such an impact to churn that there is no way that Sprint does it until it is able to establish the public perception of network parity with T/VZ. When T/VZ eliminated subsidies on unlimited data plans, their networks were demonstrably superior, which severely limited churn.

Edited by sonny_crockett

I'm not too hard bent in regards to subsidies (2yr contracts ) going away like it was in the beginning of last year.

In fact at the end of last year with all the sales and promos I took advantage of the lease program. But this is one thing I do have to say that as long as Sprint continues loyalty Credit I have really no issues and I'm good to go.

It was bad enough they dropped the loyalty Credit from $15 to $10 but if they get rid of it all together then yes I definitely have an issue with upgrades only through lease and easy pay.

You linked back to this thread, just fyi.

Thanks, fixed.