Sprint to end 2 Year Contracts

JimBob

I do not like "double secret" discounts on grandfathered wireless plans.  That is what I think about SERO.  Arbitrary, unfair discounts.

AJ

I know what you think about it.  And that's my point.  You share your opinion about SERO, and some people do not like it.  I just want people to understand that their arguments with your opinion are futile as you are not a decision maker at Sprint.  They can argue facts about SERO, but to argue over your dislike of the program seems like a waste of time.  Gets people up in arms over nothing material.

Robert

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk 

• Like 1

In my opinion, it's all but confirmed that Sprint is killing contracts for new customers. Every other carrier has already (Verizon still allows new 2-year customers when buying from Apple directly, but I think that's just an infrastructure issue. They're dead from VZW directly and other retailers).

The only thing up in the air is if, or when, Sprint will kill them for existing customers on existing plans that support subsidies.

What people tend to forget is that when T-Mobile killed contracts, they also forced their customers to switch to newer plans, without option. That's a huge difference and a fact which is forgotten when comparing the carriers. 

In theory Sprint could remove contracts completely and force everyone who wants to upgrade to switch to a newer plan. 

What people tend to forget is that when T-Mobile killed contracts, they also forced their customers to switch to newer plans, without option. That's a huge difference and a fact which is forgotten when comparing the carriers. 

In theory Sprint could remove contracts completely and force everyone who wants to upgrade to switch to a newer plan. 

Exactly, they could. And I think that's what has SERO users the most nervous. I don't want to pay $20 more plus my phone's cost to keep unlimited data.

AT&T just announced they're ending subsidies, but aren't killing off plans so customers can opt to keep paying for their old plans (which previously included subsidies) while also paying for their phone. That's probably a 25-30% rate hike, if not more. Is it warranted? What makes subsidies so much more expensive for carriers now? The iPhone has sold for $650 unsubsidized since the iPhone 4 (2010), before that it was only $50 less.

Maybe it's just one more inducement to kick people off unlimited for AT&T. Force them off with crazy high bills with the illusion of choice. I guess it's better for them than just kicking everyone over to a metered plan on a certain date without any other option.

My guess is if Sprint does kill subsidies for existing customers, SERO customers will be forced to switch to SERO Unlimited which is $45 for unlimited everything, plus device. It's not a bad deal but it's not as good as it was, which is the way SERO has been trending  pretty much since it's been around.

For existing customers not on SERO, they'll probably have to pick a new plan from the ones currently available: the new metered family plans or the unlimited individual plan, or maybe one of the Best Buy exclusive plans if they're buying from Best Buy. They may be able to stick with their old plan, but I guarantee eventually those "loyalty credits" will go bye-bye.

Sprint is not forcing customers off any plans but friday i believe they will kill subsidies for all new customers, current customers on legacy plans will be unaffected.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Which makes sense, because new plans are better deals with lease/easypay/byod, whereas in many cases older plans are better deals with subsidies.

Sprint is not forcing customers off any plans but friday i believe they will kill subsidies for all new customers, current customers on legacy plans will be unaffected.

Upon contract expiration, will those legacy plans still have the option of subsidized upgrades?  That seems to be the $64,000 question.  My guess is no.

AJ

• Like 1

Upon contract expiration, will those legacy plans still have the option of subsidized upgrades? That seems to be the $64,000 question. My guess is no.

AJ

Personally i wish it was no. But the stuff im hearing is yes.

Ive advocated simplier and more uniform pricing to our internal feedback emails. Every plan should be unlimited 2g, everyone on legacy plans should be offered to be moved to a share pack and access fees should be a flat price like $5 or $10. Get rid of the waived access fee shit and the$15 $20 and really old $25 access fees. Everything now is too confusing and all over the place.

• Like 4

Personally i wish it was no. But the stuff im hearing is yes.

Ive advocated simplier and more uniform pricing to our internal feedback emails. Every plan should be unlimited 2g, everyone on legacy plans should be offered to be moved to a share pack and access fees should be a flat price like $5 or $10. Get rid of the waived access fee shit and the$15 $20 and really old $25 access fees. Everything now is too confusing and all over the place.

I agree with that. Sprint's plans are a mess, though I disagree with how they get there. They do need a full reset. Too many promotions, too many different tiers. The Simply Unlimited for $80 with David Beckham was a good idea, but it didn't stick.

• Like 1

Honestly, I think Sprint is losing more money on these new promotions than they are with SERO customers. Afterall, we do not know the average amount of data a SERO customer uses, and their lines cost roughly the same as the lines on a maxed out ED1500 plan. I don't get the S4GRU hate on SERO customers. They've shown Sprint the most loyalty and I believe Sprint has to be making money off them, or they would have forced users off that plan ages ago.

EDIT: Reworded.

My coworker switched to Sprint under the 50% off promo. He pays the same rate I do with SERO, but his plan includes his iPhone leases. So for the same price I pay for my SERO, he gets free iPhones. They also gave him north of $400 to switch. But, because I'm on a "cut rate" "fraudulent" SERO plan, I didn't even earn the $50 referral bonus.

I should be complaining about that! But instead people treat me like a thief on here because I earned SERO legitimately and would like to keep my plan.

• Like 4

My coworker switched to Sprint under the 50% off promo. He pays the same rate I do with SERO, but his plan includes his iPhone leases. So for the same price I pay for my SERO, he gets free iPhones. They also gave him north of $400 to switch. But, because I'm on a "cut rate" "fraudulent" SERO plan, I didn't even earn the $50 referral bonus.

I should be complaining about that! But instead people treat me like a thief on here because I earned SERO legitimately and would like to keep my plan.

Were you a Sprint employee?  Did you know a Sprint employee?  Did you "legitimately" know Russ?

A decade ago when SERO started, I was kind of a big deal on HowardForums.  I knew about SERO and could have jumped on it, but I did not.  You want to know why?  Because I have an ethical backbone.  I had no legitimate connection to the Sprint Employee Referral Offer.

If you did or did not have a legitimate connection, that is up to you -- and your conscience.

AJ

:ot:  Sero discussions should all be moved to another thread.

• Like 2

Were you a Sprint employee? Did you know a Sprint employee? Did you "legitimately" know Russ?

A decade ago when SERO started, I was kind of a big deal on HowardForums. I knew about SERO and could have jumped on it, but I did not. You want to know why? Because I have an ethical backbone. I had no legitimate connection to the Sprint Employee Referral Offer.

If you did or did not have a legitimate connection, that is up to you -- and your conscience.

AJ

I was absolutely a Sprint employee. And my employee account migrated to SERO when I amicably separated from the company in 2013. I earned SERO and I don't particularly enjoy being accused of theft of an employee benefit that sprint extends to separated employees. Are people who retire from a company considered thrives when they begin to receive pension benefits from that company?

The argument that SERO users are drains on Sprints finances is moot when people walk out of Sprint stores every day getting deals I could only dream about, like the coworker I mentioned earlier. Because of my status as an ex-employee on a "cut rate" plan that's more expensive than my coworkers, I couldn't even get the measly $50 referral bonus.

I was absolutely a Sprint employee. And my employee account migrated to SERO when I amicably separated from the company in 2013. I earned SERO and I don't particularly enjoy being accused of theft of an employee benefit that sprint extends to separated employees. Are people who retire from a company considered thrives when they begin to receive pension benefits from that company?

How were you ever personally accused of fraud or theft?  You cannot take any generalization and necessarily apply it to yourself.  I asked questions.  Questions and assertions are different beasts.  If I ever directly accused you, I will apologize for that.  However, many SERO subs -- with no legitimate connection to Sprint -- just jumped on the price point.  They have no legs to stand on.

AJ

So I checked my Sprint.com account today and it says I am eligible for an upgrade to lease or easypay a phone.

Two-year contract is not available (granted I am in contract until November 2016).

I am very curious if Sprint will kill my 24 month upgrades.  If so, I'd probably switch to RingPlus (free Sprint service), the $30/5GB T-mobile WalMart plan, or Google Fi.

I am leaning towards Google Fi but I've been extremely impressed with RingPlus.  At least I have 10 months to figure it out.

• Like 3

So I checked my Sprint.com account today and it says I am eligible for an upgrade to lease or easypay a phone.

Two-year contract is not available (granted I am in contract until November 2016).

I am very curious if Sprint will kill my 24 month upgrades. If so, I'd probably switch to RingPlus (free Sprint service), the $30/5GB T-mobile WalMart plan, or Google Fi.

I am leaning towards Google Fi but I've been extremely impressed with RingPlus. At least I have 10 months to figure it out.

Funny I check the Sprint app and it shows my mothers line is good for a 2 year upgrade as of now, it shows my wife's line is eligible for a 2 year upgrade from her iPhone 6s on 01 NOV 17 but my iPhone 6 Plus which will be out of contract this years only shows the lease and easy pay option.

Also, hotspot is included in the new plans. I believe SERO customers have to pay extra for this.

Someone on Reddit said Best Buy gets to keep offering 2 year pricing until the end of the month for new customers. Apple will probably keep them for a while too; they still offer them for VZW customers as well even though VZW has stopped offering 2 year agreements directly.

No idea how long it will last for existing customers. I wouldn't be surprised if the next iPhone for example is only available via installment billing, honestly. This way the carriers force people off contracts without making it look like they are.

Contracts are now a "reactive offer" for existing customers, which I take to mean it's only to be used as a last-ditch effort to keep the customer, like crediting an upgrade fee or moving up an upgrade date.

It's almost the same price for me to keep my existing plan and just buy new phones at full price than it is for me to switch to a new plan with Sprint. I'll probably go to Cricket or something if these "reactive offers" go away for good.

The leaked document says EXISTING customers can get 2 year contracts on a "reactive basis" only.

What does this mean?

I pay $200 for 4 smartphones for UNLIMITED everything. I can not for the life of me see any non 2 year plan that comes close.

Currently it costs me:

200 x 24 monthly plan

200 x 4 4 upgrades

39 x 4 4 activations

5,600 4 year total

That's 58.33 per month per device for UNLIMITED

Figure a typical payment to purchase is $35 my plan portion is just $23/month.

So just how are one of the new plans suppose to be better for me?

I don't see it.

J

As of this morning (Saturday) I can still add a line to my account with a 2 year contract. 

Fingers crossed. :)

• Like 2