Sprint to end 2 Year Contracts

JimBob

Per Marcelo on Twitter: "@marceloclaure: @HRozewski long Term Customers can choose any way they want to buy a phone, lease,subsidy or installment billing. We believe in choice"

Looks like us contract folks are grandfathered!

All hail Marcelo!

Could you provide a link to that tweet.

• Like 1

the question is do the 49% of people prefer 2 year contract subsidies or do they just fear change so they stick with what they know, i know many people who don't under stand lease or easy pay... so they stick with what they know ($200 phone on 2 year contract) not everyone follows this stuff as close as we all do.  Take my girlfriend for example she didn't understand lease at first, but when she pick up the iPhone and didn't have to pay a cent in the store and only $25/month for the phone she was very happy with the choice.  I think most people will be ok with the change, most view it as the phone used to cost $200, but now it is no down payment and $15-$30 per month (of couurse that varies wildly from phone to phone)

On Easy Pay and Lease Program I understand there's no down payment and a small additional monthly fee however doesn't the consumer have to pay taxes on the retail price of the device upfront sorta like a closing cost of a transaction.

At least that's what I understood, is this true or not.

On Easy Pay and Lease Program I understand there's no down payment and a small additional monthly fee however doesn't the consumer have to pay taxes on the retail price of the device upfront sorta like a closing cost of a transaction.

Easy pay you pay taxes upfront. Lease you pay taxes monthly...so if you don't finish the lease (i.e. turn in device for an upgrade), you don't pay the full tax on the item.
  • Like 1

Easy pay has tax added at the time of sale, the lease you walk out without paying a cent for the phone ( with good credit).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Being on a ED plan I would consider going to the $40 GB share plan only if they dropped the higher data access line fee for my subsidized lines. Heck for new customers they are ponying up ETF payoffs. Why not relax the line fee for existing to get them off ED plans. The thing I want most that I don't have now is the ability to tether.

Being on a ED plan I would consider going to the $40 GB share plan only if they dropped the higher data access line fee for my subsidized lines. Heck for new customers they are ponying up ETF payoffs. Why not relax the line fee for existing to get them off ED plans. The thing I want most that I don't have now is the ability to tether.

I would consider that plan also if they offered me the same. Not only they are ponying up ETF fees, but they are also offering no data access fees for life for that plan also for new customers at this time.

If I had a Twitter account I would tweet that to Marcelo. If you want people off ED then incentivize us like we are new customers.

This. My father wanted to know why we haven't switched to the $100 plan they advertise in the NY Times, that's because we don't get the lines waived. Why not? We've paid enough and been through plenty, give us old boys a reason to uproot from our plans.

• Like 1

This. My father wanted to know why we haven't switched to the $100 plan they advertise in the NY Times, that's because we don't get the lines waived. Why not? We've paid enough and been through plenty, give us old boys a reason to uproot from our plans.

Contemplate this, a new Sprint family plan of 4 can get the following:

Guaranteed 4 - iPhone 6S Leases @ $15 each + 10 GB of Shared Data @ $100 = $160 a month.

Get 40 GB to share for $180.  This is before any kind of employer discount mind you, which I think still applies to the data portions of the plan.

At the end of the lease the buyout is only $200, at least it is for the iPhone 6 I'm currently leasing.

Aren't Sprint lease discounts just another type of subsidy? 

Guaranteed 4 - iPhone 6S Leases @ $15 each + 10 GB of Shared Data @ $100 = $160 a month.

Get 40 GB to share for $180.  This is before any kind of employer discount mind you, which I think still applies to the data portions of the plan.

At the end of the lease the buyout is only $200, at least it is for the iPhone 6 I'm currently leasing.

Yes that's the thing I don't like about the new plans. The employer discount in the ED plans are deducted from the price plan itself versus the new plans its deducted from the data line itself. Huge difference. I'm not really sure whether they even do employer discount any more on the new plans!

The other major difference is on the new plans they can change anything in the plan without the risk of adverse material penalties whereas ED you could get ETF free.

Many many things to ponder on ED vs the new plans

Get 40 GB to share for $180. This is before any kind of employer discount mind you, which I think still applies to the data portions of the plan.

Your math is correct if those 4 lines are ported in and waived the access fees for ever current, customers or lines 5 thru 10 on ports will have a $15 access fee.

So while a new customer could get 10 gbs and 4 iphone forver for $160 a current customer or non porting new customer would pay $220.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Yes that's the thing I don't like about the new plans. The employer discount in the ED plans are deducted from the price plan itself versus the new plans its deducted from the data line itself. Huge difference. I'm not really sure whether they even do employer discount any more on the new plans!

The other major difference is on the new plans they can change anything in the plan without the risk of adverse material penalties whereas ED you could get ETF free.

Sprint still does employee discounts. The discount is applied to the charge for the data that the customer chooses. On the Everything Data plans the discount was applies to the charge for the plan itself (not any add-ons or the premium data charge), on the Everything Data Share plans the discount was applied to the charge for the primary line on the plan (again not including any add-ons or the premium data charge).

Yeah i just tried to get 4 more lines and the 10 gigs plan was costing me 240 with Phones plus taxes and fees, the plans are more expensive now.

I did my research and got cricket 4 for 100 dollars a month fifth line is free with 2.5 gbs

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Your math is correct if those 4 lines are ported in and waived the access fees for ever current, customers or lines 5 thru 10 on ports will have a $15 access fee.

So while a new customer could get 10 gbs and 4 iphone forver for $160 a current customer or non porting new customer would pay $220.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I didn't include that caveat but that's true.  It's also a requirement that you turn a phone in with the discounted lease as well.  But if you are turning a phone in then most likely you have a line to port.

Heads up!

Subsidized two-year contract programs to remain intact for now. December 2015 drop date put on hold indefinitely.

See link

. http://www.cnet.com/videos/sprint-says-it-may-keep-two-year-contracts-after-all/

• Like 3

Leasing is you don't own the phone at all. You pay a monthly reduced price and have to give the device back in perfect condition to Sprint or they will charge you the full price (or you can choose to buy it at full price then). 

Easy pay is paying installments onto phones full price. You completely own the phone once you pay it off (either at the end of whenever inbetween) and can do whatever the hell you want. For a flagship phone like the S6 it'll be like $27 a month compared to like $20 a month if one wants to lease. 

So in the end if one leases say a S6 for $20 a month they'll be paying $480 at the end of 2 years with the option to pay $100+ more to buy out the phone if it's in terrible condition or person likes it. Else they can just turn it in and get a new device.

Easy pay is you're paying for the entire price of the phone. At the end of the installements, you've paid off the entire phone and it belongs to you. You don't have to turn it back into Sprint and keep the phone in good condition since at the end of the installments you'll paid out ~$500-600 which is the full price. 

I lucked out with this and signed up for the S6 edge and got a $20 a month bill credit so i am only paying $5-$7 a month for the phone.  I dotn remember exactly.  only thing is when you do the lease they add on insurance for the first 3 months mandatory and required.  But i mean its not a horrible deal.  Just dont destroy the phone between contract sign up and return date.

I lucked out with this and signed up for the S6 edge and got a $20 a month bill credit so i am only paying $5-$7 a month for the phone. I dotn remember exactly. only thing is when you do the lease they add on insurance for the first 3 months mandatory and required. But i mean its not a horrible deal. Just dont destroy the phone between contract sign up and return date.

The insurance is not required for the first 3 months.

Sent from my Tab 4

I just got my 2 line Everything Data Referral 1600 for $130 plan switched to each line being on SERO unlimited for $60 a month, so $120 total.  Also received a noticed saying the line my wife uses can upgrade a year early if we use easy pay or lease to get a new phone.  The SERO plan comes with a $15 credit to use towards easy pay or lease, which makes the iphone forever program cost $7, putting my bill at $127.  Not a huge savings, but I'm getting out of a contract a year early, upgrade to iPhone 6 today and then next month upgrade to 6s for no additional charge.

• Like 1

This may not amount to anything but I had to call Sprint about a billing issue and at the end the rep asked if there was anything else they could help with.  I said it would be great if I was able to take advantage of the offers that new customers are getting and that I could be persuaded to come off my ED plan if that were the case.  The rep may have been blowing smoke up my a$$ but he said that's something they are looking into.  Who knows.

• Like 3

I lucked out with this and signed up for the S6 edge and got a $20 a month bill credit so i am only paying $5-$7 a month for the phone. I dotn remember exactly. only thing is when you do the lease they add on insurance for the first 3 months mandatory and required. But i mean its not a horrible deal. Just dont destroy the phone between contract sign up and return date.

Insurance is not a requirement. The rep doesn't want to lose their commission on adding tep.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I have Everything Data with the unlimited minutes (for being with Sprint for 7 years apparently) and I hardly use any data the most I've used is this past year at WrestleMania using my GPS for directions around the bay area it got up to 8GB, I usually use 2-3GB on average.  If I have to pay full price when my next upgrade is available, I might just bite the bullet and go with Project Fi with my Nexus 6