Sprint to end 2 Year Contracts

JimBob

leave sprint for who? AT&T is the last nation wide carrier to have 2 year contracts... you think they wont  follow everyone else?

I think we are going to end up with 4 national networks and everyone will be a subscriber of a MNVO.  I say that sarcastically but at the same time, the MNVO's have the easiest plans to understand.  A family of 5 could use Cricket for $100 and get a decent bucket of data with a reasonable speed cap.  

• Like 3

I think we are going to end up with 4 national networks and everyone will be a subscriber of a MNVO. I say that sarcastically but at the same time, the MNVO's have the easiest plans to understand. A family of 5 could use Cricket for $100 and get a decent bucket of data with a reasonable speed cap.

You know I don't know why people assume that everyone wants speed caps. I don't, I would rather have overages and countinue to be able to use data the way I want to.

Per Marcelo on Twitter: "@marceloclaure: @HRozewski long Term Customers can choose any way they want to buy a phone, lease,subsidy or installment billing. We believe in choice"

Looks like us contract folks are grandfathered!

All hail Marcelo!

• Like 8

And where will you go? 

Exactly.

I have SERO and I'm excited to see what they offer legacy customers. They could move us to new plans. They could remove the subsidy cost from our plans. Either way, it's all going to balance out in the end. 

There is nowhere else to go, everyone needs to calm down and see how Sprint is going to handle transitioning legacy users before they get mad. 

You people scared me last night before going to bed. Thought I was going to have to switch. But @marceloclaure tweet is true, called in to ask what's going on with my plan if they were planning on forcing me off, and was told no, you get to keep it as long as you want, and they will continue to do two year contracts in store, online and on the phone or even do a lease or do easy pay, what ever is easy for us.

But these lease offers they are offering on my account do sound good. (almost $5 a month or free if you get the HTC One M9)

• Like 2

You people scared me last night before going to bed. Thought I was going to have to switch. But @marceloclaure tweet is true, called in to ask what's going on with my plan if they were planning on forcing me off, and was told no, you get to keep it as long as you want, and they will continue to do two year contracts in store, online and on the phone or even do a lease or do easy pay, what ever is easy for us.

But these lease offers they are offering on my account do sound good. (almost $5 a month or free if you get the HTC One M9)

Who were you going to switch to? So you insanely cheap plan became slightly more expensive but still way cheaper than the competition so your response would be to leave to another company and pay even more? That doesn't make any sense.

• Like 2

Per Marcelo on Twitter: "@marceloclaure: @HRozewski long Term Customers can choose any way they want to buy a phone, lease,subsidy or installment billing. We believe in choice"

All hail Marcelo!

Thanks for sharing - good to read

And where will you go? 

Me personally, I'd probably switch to T-Mobile's $30 prepaid plan with 5GB data.

I dont think this is worth getting up and arms about - just changes the economics for some wireless subscribers.

Who were you going to switch to? So you insanely cheap plan became slightly more expensive but still way cheaper than the competition so your response would be to leave to another company and pay even more? That doesn't make any sense.

Like the folks who would scream and yell at Sprint stores that they were going to T-Mobile, only to come running back when they realized what EIP entailed. 

Me personally, I'd probably switch to T-Mobile's $30 prepaid plan with 5GB data.

I dont think this is worth getting up and arms about - just changes the economics for some wireless subscribers.

But that's a plan which is useful to a small percentage of customers, the vast majority could never use that.

Exactly.

I have SERO and I'm excited to see what they offer legacy customers. They could move us to new plans. They could remove the subsidy cost from our plans. Either way, it's all going to balance out in the end. 

There is nowhere else to go, everyone needs to calm down and see how Sprint is going to handle transitioning legacy users before they get mad. 

I'm sure they will offer a loyalty discount of sorts, and that will be the end of it.

Where the heck you getting that from? I'm only saying I thought I would have to as what I was reading from comments/title. But from confirmation from Sprint, nothing changes unless I want something to change.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Where the heck you getting that from? I'm only saying I thought I would have to as what I was reading from comments/title. But from confirmation from Sprint, nothing changes unless I want something to change.

From you. You said you thought you where going to have to switch providers if they told you to go pound sand on the two year subsidies. sprint has said the ending of the two year contracts won't happen until the end of 2015 anyway, after that point I would be surprised if they let you or anyone else on a legacy plan get a subsidy.

At least let me get one more 2 year upgrade before the end of year. The nexus 5 2015 phone cant come soon enough

If the 2015 Nexus 5 is a $400 handset, you are practically wasting a subsidized upgrade on it.  Only $600+ handsets make sense on subsidy.

No, the Nexus 5 is a quintessential example of how/why non subsidy, non contract plans can make sense for consumers.

AJ

• Like 2

From you. You said you thought you where going to have to switch providers if they told you to go pound sand on the two year subsidies. sprint has said the ending of the two year contracts won't happen until the end of 2015 anyway, after that point I would be surprised if they let you or anyone else on a legacy plan get a subsidy.

Never said I would switch providers.... I said I thought I have to switch. Could mean provider could mean plans.... Could also mean, I'm going back to house phone... Like I said, before they told me no plans on not offering two year contract subsidies. Said we would be good for how long you like to keep the plan.

Never said I would switch providers.... I said I thought I have to switch. Could mean provider could mean plans.... Could also mean, I'm going back to house phone... Like I said, before they told me no plans on not offering two year contract subsidies. Said we would be good for how long you like to keep the plan.

Sorry for misunderstanding your vagueness. In any case I doubt seriously they will keep the two pricing forever for legacy customers. By the end of the year it will probably be gone. You only have to look at the example of T-Mobile and VZW.

Sorry for misunderstanding your vagueness. In any case I doubt seriously they will keep the two pricing forever for legacy customers. By the end of the year it will probably be gone. You only have to look at the example of T-Mobile and VZW.

Except Verizon is apparently letting existing customers continue to get subsidized phones on contract renewal (assuming not on grandfathered unlimited plan) after getting rid of contracts for new customers

Verizon clarified its policy in an email to The Associated Press on Tuesday. As long as you stay with the current plan, you can upgrade at a discount. So if you were anticipating a new model from Apple or Samsung, you can wait until those phones come out. Otherwise, you would have been limited to what's available as of Wednesday, as the new policy kicks in on Thursday.
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/verizon-existing-customers-eligible-discounted-phones-33020255
  • Like 1

Except Verizon is apparently letting existing customers continue to get subsidized phones on contract renewal (assuming not on grandfathered unlimited plan) after getting rid of contracts for new customers http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/verizon-existing-customers-eligible-discounted-phones-33020255

Yes, but there is nothing in that which claims that will always be the case.

Yes, but there is nothing in that which claims that will always be the case.

No, but I never said it will be. I was just disputing your claim that contracts will "probaly" be gone for exisiting Sprint customers by the end of the year when they do away with contracts for new customers. If Verizon -- arguably the least customer-friendly carrier -- is keeping them for existing customers, what makes you think Sprint won't?

All hail Marcelo!

He didn't say contracts as an option...?

Edit: never mind...I cant read.