Google Nexus 6P by Huawei (was [Rumor] Huawei Nexus phone?)

jefbal99

As a G2 user, it's still kind of wait and see for me. What is better about the 5X? Camera? Battery? Screen? Speaker quality? Bezel size? Memory management? Fingerprint sensor?

Most of these are still unknowns. But bezel size is known, and is not an improvement.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

The G2 sold for $600 new two years ago.  Way more than even the 6P now.  The 5X brand new at $375 sounds like an amazing deal for a new device.  Google is not trying to make the 5X be a flagship device.  It's an Android showcase device with a value price.  Something that perhaps existing N5 owners can trade in their aging devices for.  Not necessarily an upgrade, but more of an update.

• Like 4

If this is work, are you using the right tool for the job? Instead of a handset, maybe you should be using a pro tablet or laptop that you can customize with as much RAM as you require.

AJ

With your way of thinking, the smartphone would have never made it to where it is today. Just because you think 2 GB of RAM are enough for you doesn't mean it is for everyone else.
  • Like 3

With your way of thinking, the smartphone would have never made it to where it is today. Just because you think 2 GB of RAM are enough for you doesn't mean it is for everyone else.

No, you are wrong.  You should use the right tool for the job.  And you are just expecting too much, too soon.  Go back and read my well reasoned posts.

AJ

• Like 1

No, you are wrong.

First off, these are opinions. How can they be wrong when the amount of RAM needed depends on each individual user?

You should use the right tool for the job.

And that tool CAN be a smartphone. Just add RAM.

And you are just expecting too much, too soon.

There are phones out there with 3 GB of RAM already in mass production. It's not 'too soon' to hope for those specs if they are already available in the market.

Go back and read my well reasoned posts.

Hate to break it to you, but they aren't very well reasoned. You are saying that because you can get by on a 2 GB phone, then so can everyone else. That's like saying that if I can get by with a $50k/year salary, then no one should expect to be paid more than that. It's not a wrong opinion, its just a very backwards way of thinking.
  • Like 4

Could we stop with this whole 2GB crap? Like for real?

I took a 2GB crap once. It was awful.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

• Like 3

I took a 2GB crap once. It was awful.

You need to read Drew Magary's Deadspin column, which oft includes the Great Moments in Poop History sidebar.

AJ

Outside the disputes in this thread. My real issue is I'm on easy pay right now with nexus 6 with my annual upgrade available November 1st. Signs so far are pointing that they won't be offering neither phone through the carrier at all. Kind of a catch 22 since I can't just hand in this nexus 6 November 1st and be done unless I pay the balance.

I want the 6P so badly. :( I am stuck in a lease with my S6 but am thinking of biting the bullet and just terminating the lease early. I can't stand the RAM issues or the battery life. Really the only things I like about it are the camera and the physical build...whereas I like pretty much everything about the 6P. I had a Note 4 on USCC prior to my S6 on Sprint...and before that a Nexus 4 & 5 on a variety of networks...I wish I had never entered the Samsung realm. :|

BTW, anyone think we'll get Sprint WiFi calling with this or the Nexus 5X, since it's being baked into Android Marshmallow?

Unlikely. Sprint uses an older and not well supported wifi calling revision.

Sent from my LG-H790

I want the 6P so badly. :( I am stuck in a lease with my S6 but am thinking of biting the bullet and just terminating the lease early. I can't stand the RAM issues or the battery life. Really the only things I like about it are the camera and the physical build...whereas I like pretty much everything about the 6P. I had a Note 4 on USCC prior to my S6 on Sprint...and before that a Nexus 4 & 5 on a variety of networks...I wish I had never entered the Samsung realm. :|

What RAM issues can you have on the S6?  It has 3 GB RAM which should be plenty sufficient for even the hardcore needs.

Outside the disputes in this thread. My real issue is I'm on easy pay right now with nexus 6 with my annual upgrade available November 1st. Signs so far are pointing that they won't be offering neither phone through the carrier at all. Kind of a catch 22 since I can't just hand in this nexus 6 November 1st and be done unless I pay the balance.

This is the deal breaker reason in my situation in that I would have loved to pick up the Nexus 6P via carrier (whether that is subsidy, easy pay or lease options).  Not to mention if it was sold by carriers, consumers can actually pay for the device in monthly payments instead of all at once even though they will have to pay the full price after 2 years.  Most importantly selling via carriers allows consumers to demo the unit in-store and see if it fits their needs and lives up to the hype instead of praying that it works out for them.  

Instead I am going to go with the Note 5.  Sorry Google but theylost a customer because they eliminated consumers options to buy and test out their products.  Even Apple doesn't pull this crap and offers the iPhone at Apple store, BB/Amazon and via carriers even though they probably could get away with it because of their huge fanbase.

What RAM issues can you have on the S6?  It has 3 GB RAM which should be plenty sufficient for even the hardcore needs.

Losing apps' statuses in the background when switching between apps. Home screen redraws. It's Samsung's fault, not a lack of actual physical RAM.

as an aside the price difference is actually only $57 between a 32 GB 6P and 32 GB 5X due to the $13 USB C -> A cable that the 6p includes. https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_to_usb_standard_a_plug_cable

Of course the 16GB 5x is still a great deal but I just noticed this when looking at the 5x for a friend who hates larger phones.

edit: also, a glorious reversible connector gif1439398481-cabletop.gif

• Like 2

I decided to ask Sprint twitter account if the device is supported and was immediately responded to as a yes it will be for those that were unsure of activation.Check out @sprintcare's Tweet: https://twitter.com/sprintcare/status/651128733760294912?s=09

• Like 2

I decided to ask Sprint twitter account if the device is supported and was immediately responded to as a yes it will be for those that were unsure of activation.Check out @sprintcare's Tweet: https://twitter.com/sprintcare/status/651128733760294912?s=09

Of course it would be! [emoji14]

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Of course it would be! [emoji14]

Guys, if a major device supports both band 41 and band class 10, it is going to be activatable on Sprint.  No question -- do not worry about it.  OEMs do not include those bands/classes for no reason.  The only notable exception has been the 2014 Moto X, which still ended up on Sprint MVNO Republic Wireless.

AJ

This is the deal breaker reason in my situation in that I would have loved to pick up the Nexus 6P via carrier (whether that is subsidy, easy pay or lease options). Not to mention if it was sold by carriers, consumers can actually pay for the device in monthly payments instead of all at once even though they will have to pay the full price after 2 years. Most importantly selling via carriers allows consumers to demo the unit in-store and see if it fits their needs and lives up to the hype instead of praying that it works out for them.

Instead I am going to go with the Note 5. Sorry Google but theylost a customer because they eliminated consumers options to buy and test out their products. Even Apple doesn't pull this crap and offers the iPhone at Apple store, BB/Amazon and via carriers even though they probably could get away with it because of their huge fanbase.

Ditto. I waited for the Nexus announcement on September 29th just to verify this info. I was actually pretty much sold on getting the 6P. However, after they announced that they were eschewing the carrier retail outlets in favor of selling it on their on their own via Google play, i was at the Sprint store that same afternoon buying my Note 5.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ditto. I waited for the Nexus announcement on September 29th just to verify this info. I was actually pretty much sold on getting the 6P. However, after they announced that they were eschewing the carrier retail outlets in favor of selling it on their on their own via Google play, i was at the Sprint store that same afternoon buying my Note 5.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Nice...yeah I actually ordered my Note 5 today online with 2 year contract and should be getting it in the mail on Wed. Welcome Note 5 buddy.  I am still looking for a case that can still perform wireless charging without effects.

Btw screw Google....just like the Nexus 6, I hope sales don't do well with the Nexus 5X and 6P just like they didnt do well last year with the Nexus 6 just to show how stupid and idiotic Google's decisions (Nexus 6: Going with a 6 inch screen jump from 5 inch and Nexus 5X/6P:  selling it only via Google store) have been these last 2 years with the Google Nexus devices.

Too bad because the Nexus 6P is a promising device and I applaud Huawei for stepping up to the game when given the chance.

• Like 1

Nice...yeah I actually ordered my Note 5 today online with 2 year contract and should be getting it in the mail on Wed. Welcome Note 5 buddy.  I am still looking for a case that can still perform wireless charging without effects.

Btw screw Google....just like the Nexus 6, I hope sales don't do well with the Nexus 5X and 6P just like they didnt do well last year with the Nexus 6 just to show how stupid and idiotic Google's decisions (Nexus 6: Going with a 6 inch screen jump from 5 inch and Nexus 5X/6P:  selling it only via Google store) have been these last 2 years with the Google Nexus devices.

Too bad because the Nexus 6P is a promising device and I applaud Huawei for stepping up to the game when given the chance.

Have you checked this thread out?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/note5/accessories/best-galaxy-note-5-t3179975

There's a fair number of posts now, but if you read through wireless charging gets mentioned several times. Among others, I recall someone saying that the UAG and Otterbox Symmetry cases work with wireless charging.

Guys, both of you are longtime S4GRU sponsors, and we all appreciate that.  Not just your sponsorship, but your contributions in creating our community.

That said, I hope that you realize you are swimming upstream against the current.  In wishing for Sprint directly to sell third party, unlocked handsets -- especially if on subsidy -- you are just helping to extend the status quo for everyone.

On the contrary, the smart move is to eliminate all subsidy and have as few handsets as possible directly sold through operator channels.  That will help engender the low, mid, high third party, unlocked handset price ranges that we are starting to see.

Like it or not, we need that price stratification reality.  Not everyone should be able to get a $900 iPhone on subsidy.

AJ

• Like 7

AJ... thank you for (hopefully) ending this discussion, which quite frankly doesn't belong in this thread.

Any new info as to what SIM the 6P will be utilizing?

I did receive a 4FF CSIM (V5) from Sprint yesterday.

Anyone order a usb-c cable from OnePlus?  They have started selling them, prices start at $5.49.

• Like 1

AJ... thank you for (hopefully) ending this discussion, which quite frankly doesn't belong in this thread.

Any new info as to what SIM the 6P will be utilizing?

I did receive a 4FF CSIM (V5) from Sprint yesterday.

Anyone order a usb-c cable from OnePlus?  They have started selling them, prices start at $5.49.

I just ordered the 4FF (nano) CSIM and USIM so that I am hopefully ready when I finally get the phone. Just hopped on chat twice, first time I said I needed a nano sim for Moto X and they ordered the USIM, hopped back on and said I needed a nano sim for the Moto X Pure Edition and they ordered the CSIM.

• Like 1