Google Nexus 6P by Huawei (was [Rumor] Huawei Nexus phone?)

jefbal99

Ugh...still not buying it. The size of phone has me not wanting it. But so close...lol it literally has everything else I'd want.

Sent from my M8

Are you getting the Nexus 5X then?

Are you getting the Nexus 5X then?

I had it ordered but cancelled at the news of no notification LED. Found out today it has the Notification LED, but it's like a slightly refreshed G2 for me. I think it's a decent phone, but for $430, I think it's overpriced. 2GB of RAM and 32GB of storage is kinda lame. Also the mono front speaker, whereas the 6P has stereo. My HTC One M8 has spoiled me with great speakers.

Sent from my M8

For the last number look for SeanK's post on the previous page. Tell the chat rep it's for the 2015 Motorola Pure X or HTC M9.

Keep in mind we don't know for certain that this is the correct SIM yet.

You want international chat. Let me dig the link up.

sprintworldwide.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I don't get the 'Nexus 5X is overpriced' story. It's not a budget device, but priced like one. It's only a hair more expensive than the original N5. It supports nearly every North American LTE band, LTE Advanced, has one of the best phone cameras ever created, is on the next version of Android that won't be on other devices for months, on and on and on. It is far better than the G2. It's far better than the previous N5.

As far as the LED goes, whatever happened to trust but verify? That was just Negative Nancy hysteria.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

• Like 6

I don't get the 'Nexus 5X is overpriced' story. It's not a budget device, but priced like one. It's only a hair more expensive than the original N5. It supports nearly every North American LTE band, LTE Advanced, has one of the best phone cameras ever created, is on the next version of Android that won't be on other devices for months, on and on and on. It is far better than the G2. It's far better than the previous N5.

As far as the LED goes, whatever happened to trust but verify? That was just Negative Nancy hysteria.

Yeah, the reality is that it isn't that the Nexus 5x is overpriced but that the 6P is so incredibly priced especially when you compare 32 GB Nexus 5x to 32 GB Nexus 6P. With only a $70 difference the specs you get on the 6P are incredible.

• Like 3

Yeah, the reality is that it isn't that the Nexus 5x is overpriced but that the 6P is so incredibly priced especially when you compare 32 GB Nexus 5x to 32 GB Nexus 6P. With only a $70 difference the specs you get on the 6P are incredible.

This is my thought process, mainly.  The 6P has everything I want, besides the size and the cost would work for me, if it was 5".  Mainly, if the 5x had the same storage options as the 6P, I'd probably grab it.  My comments regarding the G2 is because it has the same storage, and RAM size as it, as well as the single speaker (albeit on the front this time around, rather than the bottom.)

I'd be buying it mainly for the Nexus experience, alone.  But I was hoping my next phone have a bump in specs over my current One M8.  It's either the 5X for me, or wait until Spring next year for the 820 devices.

I think the issue is that google scrimped on some of the other specs and features on the 5x to add the fingerprint scanner and make the price point. For me I just don't see the value of the fingerprint scanner over other features/specs. I don't thinks an awful phone. Its not what I hoped for and without seeing how they could balance cost and features we won't know. I don't see it as a huge upgrade over the Nexus 5 (although I didn't own one and won't own a 5x) but I don't see the 5x as a 2 year phone which the N5 was at the same price point. Then again I haven't even seen how marshmallow changes performance either. To me, it seems that The Nexus 6 is a far better value right now than the 5x if you can live with carrying a desktop everywhere you go.

• Like 1

Now this is true. Exactly why I went with the 6P. It was too big of a value to ignore when compared to the 5X. And I didn't want the larger size, either. I'm typing this from my 5" BB Z30, which is perfect sized. But I lived with N6 size, I can live with 6P size too.

• Like 2

I don't get the 'Nexus 5X is overpriced' story.

And I do not get the hand wringing over the 2 GB of RAM.

Let me use my 2013 Nexus 7 as an example. I am an inveterate Chrome tab collector. I tell myself to start closing some tabs, but then I cling to the idea that I may wish to refer back to those web pages in the future -- but I almost never do. Thus, I end up with dozens upon dozens of Chrome tabs open. I also typically have three or four other apps running. But guess what? According to the RAM usage in the Settings app, I have never seen it exceed 1 GB of RAM usage -- I always have at least 1 GB free.

So, either Android is lying to me or you guys who cannot live with 2 GB of RAM on a handheld device are not living right.

AJ

Additionally, I appreciate the lower price 16 GB Nexus 5X option.  I do not want to pay for storage that I am never ever ever ever going to use.  Not everyone needs 32 GB, guys.

AJ

• Like 2

Let me use my 2013 Nexus 7 as an example. I am an inveterate Chrome tab collector. I tell myself to start closing some tabs, but then I cling to the idea that I may wish to refer back to those web pages in the future -- but I almost never do. Thus, I end up with dozens upon dozens of Chrome tabs open. I also typically have three or four other apps running. But guess what? According to the RAM usage in the Settings app, I have never seen it exceed 1 GB of RAM usage -- I always have at least 1 GB free.

So, either Android is lying to me or you guys who cannot live with 2 GB of RAM on a handheld device are not living right.

AJ

I'm not living right, I never have more than 1/2 a gb free but thats on an S4 so that probably has some influence. And I had to drop a bunch of apps (the really important ones I use once every two years) on my S4 because I didn't have enough room to update to 5.1 It makes me think that in two years 32gb won't be enough space for me.

Edited by gifters

I'm not living right, I never have more than 1/2 a gb free but thats on an S4 so that probably has some influence. And I had to drop a bunch of apps (the really important ones I use once every two years) on my S4 because I didn't have enough room to update to 5.1 It makes me think that in two years 32gb won't be enough space for me.

Yes, but as you acknowledge, Samsung TouchWiz to Nexus stock Android is apples to oranges.

AJ

• Like 3

Yes, but as you acknowledge, Samsung TouchWiz to Nexus stock Android is apples to oranges.

AJ

Maybe a fresh Honeycrisp Apple to a partially rotten Cider Apple you picked up off the ground

Back on topic, the 6P looks like a featured pack phone, I didn't have the balls to go with Huawei and the price was higher than I liked. Didn't get sold on the camera.

Edited by gifters

AJ

Different use cases. Opening large documents (usually PDFs) definitely spike my ram usage. Even without having that open my current RAM stats look like this:

GfV94DX.png?1

Right now I am at 1.7GB usage during a normal workday.

• Like 1

AJ

Agreed!

I read about people hating the Nexus 9 due to woeful lack of RAM.

Never had an issue with RAM management.  The thing flies.

~~shrugs shoulders~~

Maybe a fresh Honeycrisp Apple to a partially rotten Cider Apple you picked up off the ground

Back on topic, the 6P looks like a featured pack phone, I didn't have the balls to go with Huawei and the price was higher than I liked. Didn't get sold on the camera.

What price did you expect for the Nexus 6P?

Few options for cables if anyone is looking:

3.3 ft (1 meter)

$12.99 from Google https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_to_usb_standard_a_plug_cable

$9.99 from Monoprice http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030319&p_id=13009&seq=1&format=2

6 ft

$19.99 from Belkin http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F2CU032/

Adapter:

$8.99 from Monoprice http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10330&cs_id=1033001&p_id=13507&seq=1&format=2

Anyways, big fan of Monoprice here. I will probably pick up a spare 3.3ft one and maybe an adapter.  I don't trust random Amazon sellers to provide quality cables.

• Like 2

I don't get the 'Nexus 5X is overpriced' story. ... It is far better than the G2. It's far better than the previous N5...

As a G2 user, it's still kind of wait and see for me. What is better about the 5X? Camera? Battery? Screen? Speaker quality? Bezel size? Memory management? Fingerprint sensor?

Most of these are still unknowns. But bezel size is known, and is not an improvement.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Few options for cables if anyone is looking:

3.3 ft (1 meter)

$12.99 from Google https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_to_usb_standard_a_plug_cable

$9.99 from Monoprice http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030319&p_id=13009&seq=1&format=2

6 ft

$19.99 from Belkin http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F2CU032/

Adapter:

$8.99 from Monoprice http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10330&cs_id=1033001&p_id=13507&seq=1&format=2

Anyways, big fan of Monoprice here. I will probably pick up a spare 3.3ft one and maybe an adapter. I don't trust random Amazon sellers to provide quality cables.

Anyone have any idea why these cables are so expensive compared to even the premium monoprice micro USB cables?

Sent from my Nexus 6

Different use cases. Opening large documents (usually PDFs) definitely spike my ram usage. Even without having that open my current RAM stats look like this:

Right now I am at 1.7GB usage during a normal workday.

If this is work, are you using the right tool for the job?  Instead of a handset, maybe you should be using a pro tablet or laptop that you can customize with as much RAM as you require.

Expecting what is at its core a phone to handle your workload and bemoaning its RAM capacity is a bit like saying, "Mr. Deringer, you need to improve your pistol.  I have been elephant hunting and run into much difficulty trying to bring them down."

AJ

If this is work, are you using the right tool for the job?  Instead of a handset, maybe you should be using a pro tablet or laptop that you can customize with as much RAM as you require.

Expecting what is at its core a phone to handle your workload and bemoaning its RAM capacity is a bit like saying, "Mr. Deringer, you need to improve your pistol.  I have been elephant hunting and run into much difficult trying to bring them down."

AJ

I actually think my usage is fairly normal. I'm not trying to run autocad on my phone or something. While at work I use my desktop and on the road I use a laptop. However, my phone comes into play for the inbetween times where I am in someone's office and want to look at a PDF of a part footprint. Mostly though my phone is used for the normal Netflix/Youtube/Twitch/Reddit/Chrome apps and I notice slowdowns doing these routine, to me, things occasionally. 

Either way I think this should be resolved with my ordering a 6P which, as a phablet, is beefier in specs and also a larger screen for easier viewing of some of these things.

• Like 2

I actually think my usage is fairly normal. I'm not trying to run autocad on my phone or something. While at work I use my desktop and on the road I use a laptop. However, my phone comes into play for the inbetween times where I am in someone's office and want to look at a PDF of a part footprint. Mostly though my phone is used for the normal Netflix/Youtube/Twitch/Reddit/Chrome apps and I notice slowdowns doing these routine, to me, things occasionally. 

My perception is that our current expectations of what smartphones should do are too high.

Can we agree, did the smartphone era not really start until summer 2007 with the debut of the iPhone?  If so, we are only eight years into the era.  This is the infancy.  From a historical perspective, it is an interesting time to be alive.  When we are old and moldy, we can tell people, "Back in my day, smartphones had only 2 GB of RAM.  And we liked it!"

Look at the infancy of other tech/computing products.  Laptops were underpowered compared to their desktop counterparts for many years.  Laptops were used mostly for word processing on the go, not more intensive tasks, such as playing games, photo editing, etc.  People did not expect laptops to handle those tasks.  But as laptops grew out of their infancy, the performance differential with desktops diminished and diminished.

My point is that smartphones eventually will be almost everything that we want them to be.  In the meantime, we have to understand whence we stand in the overall evolution of smartphones -- still very near the beginning with a lot of growing up yet to come.

AJ