Google Nexus 6P by Huawei (was [Rumor] Huawei Nexus phone?)

jefbal99

Are you suggesting that being connected to distant LTE tower for data takes up less battery than a Wi-Fi spot a few feet away?  I don't buy it.  Sending any kind of signal over greater distance will require more power.  I'm siding with Google here.

A weak wifi signal will also cause battery drain much like a weak LTE signal. It also depends on the WiFi speed. Basically, LTE MIGHT use less battery because it downloaded the same data faster and then went to idle if the WiFi is slower and is fully on longer. Where I work we call it the 'race-to-idle'.  A decent B41 signal vs a slow WiFi connection I could believe it actually.

Some examples

GalaxyS5 LTE-A: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8314/galaxy-s5-ltea-battery-life-performance this shows almost no difference between the two but notes this is possibly due to a more efficient wifi chip inside.

The LG G4 also shows almost no difference http://www.anandtech.com/show/9379/the-lg-g4-review/8

Iphones do show a big difference though http://www.anandtech.com/show/9686/the-apple-iphone-6s-and-iphone-6s-plus-review/8

A weak wifi signal will also cause battery drain much like a weak LTE signal. It also depends on the WiFi speed. Basically, LTE MIGHT use less battery because it downloaded the same data faster and then went to idle if the WiFi is slower and is fully on longer. Where I work we call it the 'race-to-idle'.  A decent B41 signal vs a slow WiFi connection I could believe it actually.

Some examples

GalaxyS5 LTE-A: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8314/galaxy-s5-ltea-battery-life-performance this shows almost no difference between the two but notes this is possibly due to a more efficient wifi chip inside.

The LG G4 also shows almost no difference http://www.anandtech.com/show/9379/the-lg-g4-review/8

Iphones do show a big difference though http://www.anandtech.com/show/9686/the-apple-iphone-6s-and-iphone-6s-plus-review/8

No matter the WiFi signal, the devices I have owned have always eaten through battery quicker on LTE than on WiFi. I don't have a 6P, but I would imagine it would be similar.

No matter the WiFi signal, the devices I have owned have always eaten through battery quicker on LTE than on WiFi. I don't have a 6P, but I would imagine it would be similar.

The most notable device I have seen with this phenomenon is the Galaxy S6/S6 Edge. My coworker regularly gets better battery on his AT&T S6 when wifi is off at the office as he is toward the loading dock where the wifi signal is low.

This seems to make sense going by the test results here http://www.anandtech.com/show/9146/the-samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-review/3

Are you suggesting that being connected to distant LTE tower for data takes up less battery than a Wi-Fi spot a few feet away?  I don't buy it.  Sending any kind of signal over greater distance will require more power.  I'm siding with Google here.

1 less radio on, especially when the phone is sleep, should and usually does save battery on my devices.  My wifi signal is great when I'm home and generally where ever I am but if I don't need wifi on, there is no reason to.  I have been meaning to do a couple tests I usually try with the device fully charged and left overnight one night on wifi and one night on LTE just to see.  I've been busy and not able to do it but usually my devices are better with no wifi radio active. 

Regardless of if I'm right or wrong, the device isn't doing what it's supposed to do. :)  The Nexus help folks suggested I run in safe mode to rule out 3rd party apps so I'll try that when I can as well. 

• Like 1

1 less radio on, especially when the phone is sleep, should and usually does save battery on my devices.  My wifi signal is great when I'm home and generally where ever I am but if I don't need wifi on, there is no reason to.  I have been meaning to do a couple tests I usually try with the device fully charged and left overnight one night on wifi and one night on LTE just to see.  I've been busy and not able to do it but usually my devices are better with no wifi radio active. 

Regardless of if I'm right or wrong, the device isn't doing what it's supposed to do. :)  The Nexus help folks suggested I run in safe mode to rule out 3rd party apps so I'll try that when I can as well. 

I see what you mean.   In that case, there's one more question.  When you leave WiFi on, do you leave push email, hangouts and notifications enabled?  Because if yes, then your phone will need a data connection active.  If you disable Wi-Fi, then you're forcing all data to go over LTE.  That's why Google Team tells you it's something else.  You're trying to stop the flow by building a dam, but you really need to turn things off at the source. :)

I see what you mean. In that case, there's one more question. When you leave WiFi on, do you leave push email, hangouts and notifications enabled? Because if yes, then your phone will need a data connection active. If you disable Wi-Fi, then you're forcing all data to go over LTE. That's why Google Team tells you it's something else. You're trying to stop the flow by building a dam, but you really need to turn things off at the source. :)

Yeah, maybe something is keeping it awake but Idk.... This could also be a case of me being used to not using a Nexus device as a primary and HTC having additional "sleep" settings in battery settings. That really puts connections to sleep.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Did a quick and dirty RF comparison between Nexus 6 vs 6P....6P takes it on all bands, it hangs onto B41 much longer, and takes quite a low signal to drop to 3G (had to choke the phone to make it drop) Whereas the N6 would drop in my pocket in the same places  

Really impressed with the radio performance on this thing, especially considering its a metal body.

• Like 8

Did a quick and dirty RF comparison between Nexus 6 vs 6P....6P takes it on all bands, it hangs onto B41 much longer, and takes quite a low signal to drop to 3G (had to choke the phone to make it drop) Whereas the N6 would drop in my pocket in the same places  

Really impressed with the radio performance on this thing, especially considering its a metal body.

I find that 6p will hold to B41 to the point where signal is almost unusable.  :)

• Like 1

What phone did you decide to go with?

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Haven't decided yet. I'm leaning toward the 5X or possibly the Z5 Premium Dual SIM.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Why didn't you go with the Nexus 6P again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because maybe one day I can fix this one and I can have a 6P too. There just currently is no means to fix it. No parts on the market.

• Like 2

Haven't decided yet. I'm leaning toward the 5X or possibly the Z5 Premium Dual SIM.

The Sony Z5 Premium is sooo nice!

I considered getting it, but it doesn't look as though it supports AT&T's band 30, which means no additional 10x10 of LTE coverage here in Chicago.

Although, it is perfect for T-Mobile, no way am I ever going back there until John Legere is gone and the binge stops.

jjoaOcj.png

2Sjv1fU.png

Pretty typical day for me. Only odd thing is I believe there is still a bug in these battery stats as Twitch.tv usage is not being calculated correctly which may explain the high android OS/Android System.

• Like 1

jjoaOcj.png

2Sjv1fU.png

Pretty typical day for me. Only odd thing is I believe there is still a bug in these battery stats as Twitch.tv usage is not being calculated correctly which may explain the high android OS/Android System.

Use GSam battery monitor. That seems to do a better job with calculating battery than Android's default battery stats program.

Use GSam battery monitor. That seems to do a better job with calculating battery than Android's default battery stats program.

GSam is still acting funky with app usage as well.  Not sure what it is about but I know at the end of the day when it's telling me my apps only used 5% of my battery, something is definitely not right. :-D  I have emailed the dev's about it but no response and no idea if it's just a M bug or an issue with our devices. 

The average screen time and battery life numbers look good and the detailed battery usage looks good as well. 

• Like 1

GSam is still acting funky with app usage as well. Not sure what it is about but I know at the end of the day when it's telling me my apps only used 5% of my battery, something is definitely not right. :-D I have emailed the dev's about it but no response and no idea if it's just a M bug or an issue with our devices.

The average screen time and battery life numbers look good and the detailed battery usage looks good as well.

I only manage about 3-3 1/2 hours of on screen time. How am I almost half of what your getting?

I only manage about 3-3 1/2 hours of on screen time. How am I almost half of what your getting?

I'm not sure what you mean by only getting half of what I have, I never said what my screen time was but it sounds like we're about the same.

359c2365900d744498d6301cf1de1ab8.jpg

I mean, maybe the app usage number us correct but I never had ever seen this number so low before coming to 6P which if course coincided with my first usage if Android M.

I'm not sure what you mean by only getting half of what I have, I never said what my screen time was but it sounds like we're about the same.

bb8c7b12d485662c0bb6c8e36259052b.jpg

I mean, maybe the app usage number us correct but I never had ever seen this number so low before coming to 6P which if course coincided with my first usage if Android M.

Sorry quoted the wrong person my bad.

I think you meant to reply to me?

It all comes down to usage and location: Browsing reddit on dark mode uses very little battery and for days where I am at home/working from home my cell signal and wifi are both excellent.

If I am at work in the back lab area all day it takes at LEAST an hour off my screen on time for the day. 

• Like 1