Google Nexus 6P by Huawei (was [Rumor] Huawei Nexus phone?)

jefbal99

Hello!

I was snooping around in the settings an noticed my preferred network type is set to "global" even though one of the options is labeled "LTE (recommended)".

My LTE data seems to be flowing smoothly I just don't want to miss out on any LTE bands or waste battery life.

Here is the pathway to the setting:

settings->wireless & networks->more->cellular networks->preferred network type

Thanks for any info or thoughts on the matter! Love this phone!!! :tu:  

Global and LTE (recommended) will get you the same results in the U.S. If you were traveling internationally, you would want the setting to be on Global. 

Global and LTE (recommended) will get you the same results in the U.S. If you were traveling internationally, you would want the setting to be on Global. 

OK cool thanks!

Is there an app that shows what LTE band I am currently on?

OK cool thanks!

Is there an app that shows what LTE band I am currently on?

Yes, there are several. The most popular here is call Signal Check (Pro).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Blue+Line+Computing

You can find more info on it in the forums, Signal Check thread.

• Like 2

**Cough Signal Check Pro Cough*

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yes, there are several. The most popular here is call Signal Check (Pro).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Blue+Line+Computing

You can find more info on it in the forums, Signal Check thread.

Ok great! I will check that out! :D

• Like 1

Ok great! I will check that out! :D

Also, if you are anywhere near Columbus, OH.  You should become a sponsor.  Our thread is one of the most updated threads with all kinds of site information.  We also have a database file for SCP, so you not only know which band you are on, but exactly which tower you are on as well.  Premiere sponsorship access gives you access to everything, well worth the cost of admission.

• Like 3

So I read up on your link and think I understand the issue. The USB C side allows 3A per the resistor they put in it but the normal USB side can only supply 2.4A (I believe) per the specifications for that connector. So the possibility exists that someone could find an out of spec 3A capable charger with a normal USB connection that provides over 2.4A and thus could potentially damage the cable.

I started getting the first batch of cables, and I need to rethink my strategy of getting fastest USB 3.0 -C cables.  The cables are "hella" big: both the plugs are twice as long and cable is 2-3x as thick as my older MicroUSB cables.  The first cable won't allow to close the center console in my car and won't fit through the cable slots towards the cup holder - where the phone barely fits anyway.  Take a look of what I mean:

Connector: USB 3.0 cable vs USB 2.0 cable

Also, the 3A capability and special resistors are really needed for running 3A at 20V to charge a MacBook or ChromeBook.  Google wants to highlight the capabilities of USB-C, so we get a one size fits all cable.

I'll try to order some USB-A / USB-C  2.0 cables and will report back.  Also, if anyone has ordered cables from Amazon that are substantially thinner than what ships with the phone and are of USB-A / USB-C type, please post a few links.

To echo others: The LTE scan times on the 6P are FAR superior to my Nexus 5. Ive only seen 3g once and it went back to LTE in under a minute. No airplane mode toggle needed for me anymore! I also always go LTE->Call->LTE instantly

I live in SF where we supposedly have CA deployed, so was looking forward to seeing some of those high speeds.  It started when two months ago, a friend was showing me speeds of 80Mbit plus on his T-Mobile LG4.  He obviously got lucky to us eating dinner next to a tower, but still, I have to hand him the win.  Anyway, I've been trying speed test throughout SF, but haven't seen much above 20Mbit and even that's only on a couple occasions.  I've found two problems:

1) SF is a combo of Clearwire and Sprint towers and apparently only Sprint Towers to CA

2) The insanely fast scan times...

While walking down King St near Caltrain, I had Signal Check Pro, and saw the phone bounce nearly 10 times in a minute between B25, B26, B41 Sprint and B41 Clearwire.  SF's geography and tower density probably contribute to some extent.  Network load balancing probably contributes to some extent as well.  However, the phone's really aggressive scan times also contribute to the phone bouncing around towers so much.  

Looking at the SignalCheck Pro in the status bar while running speed test shows me that phone rarely is able to complete a speed test while remaining connected to a single B41 tower - not to mention one with CA.    Has anyone else noticed this in a high tower density area?  

-Martin

I live in SF where we supposedly have CA deployed, so was looking forward to seeing some of those high speeds. It started when two months ago, a friend was showing me speeds of 80Mbit plus on his T-Mobile LG4. He obviously got lucky to us eating dinner next to a tower, but still, I have to hand him the win. Anyway, I've been trying speed test throughout SF, but haven't seen much above 20Mbit and even that's only on a couple occasions. I've found two problems:

1) SF is a combo of Clearwire and Sprint towers and apparently only Sprint Towers to CA

2) The insanely fast scan times...

While walking down King St near Caltrain, I had Signal Check Pro, and saw the phone bounce nearly 10 times in a minute between B25, B26, B41 Sprint and B41 Clearwire. SF's geography and tower density probably contribute to some extent. Network load balancing probably contributes to some extent as well. However, the phone's really aggressive scan times also contribute to the phone bouncing around towers so much.

Looking at the SignalCheck Pro in the status bar while running speed test shows me that phone rarely is able to complete a speed test while remaining connected to a single B41 tower - not to mention one with CA. Has anyone else noticed this in a high tower density area?

-Martin

The scan timer won't affect how quickly you bounce from band to band. That has more to do with your signal quality and load balancing. As long as you are on LTE, your phone is constantly monitoring your LTE signal, it "sees" all of the neighboring potential connections, and is able to switch to one of them at a moment's notice.

The scan time only comes into play when you lose LTE and fall back to EVDO.

Sent from my LG G4

• Like 1

I started getting the first batch of cables, and I need to rethink my strategy of getting fastest USB 3.0 -C cables.  The cables are "hella" big: both the plugs are twice as long and cable is 2-3x as thick as my older MicroUSB cables.  The first cable won't allow to close the center console in my car and won't fit through the cable slots towards the cup holder - where the phone barely fits anyway.  Take a look of what I mean:

Also, the 3A capability and special resistors are really needed for running 3A at 20V to charge a MacBook or ChromeBook.  Google wants to highlight the capabilities of USB-C, so we get a one size fits all cable.

I'll try to order some USB-A / USB-C  2.0 cables and will report back.  Also, if anyone has ordered cables from Amazon that are substantially thinner than what ships with the phone and are of USB-A / USB-C type, please post a few links.

The monoprice ones here: http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030319&p_id=13009&seq=1&format=2 are currently out of stock but the connectors are slimmer and not as long as the one in your picture. By thinner if you mean the cable thickness itself the Monoprice seems to be slightly thinner. My car console closes with it but barely latches/doesn't quite latch with the Google one. 

But if thin is what you are looking for and you aren't trying to charge more than 2.4A, go for the OnePlus. You can't beat the thin-ness of a flat cable. https://oneplus.net/type-c-cable Order processing took 3 days and shipping took 2 from California to Texas. 

For anyone looking for cases: Here is a look at the Spigen, Diztronic, Ringke cases

https://youtu.be/l9XvvhrU228?t=3m9s

I have the diztronic black and the fitment is pretty good. A tiny bit loose but I think once I put my screen protector on it will be just fine.

Thanks. I'm looking for a case that leaves the power and volume buttons exposed. I love the feel of the buttons, I don't want to cover them up.

Got my 6P today.  It definitely has issues where after a call it stays on 3G or sometimes 1x800 and B25 (where I live right next to a B41 tower.)   I'll post a screen shot.    Not sure if this is an eCSFB issue because there is no problem getting calls, it's the reconnecting back to LTE after the call ends where I'm seeing an issue. 

This is a well known Android 5.1+ bug (feature?). Affects a wide range of devices, and there currently is no way around it. You are on LTE, however for some reason devices are still seeing what appears to be a concurrent 1x signal as well. There is no CSFB or any other issue here. While the 1x signal is showing, the LTE data will not populate correctly. For some reason SCP is not able to see the current band. In the interim, LTE Discover can read the LTE band while this error is occurring.

This shows up when you lose LTE for a short time (say a phone call) and then re-connect to LTE. If you check the engineering screen (if they show any good data on the 6P, I don't remember) it should show that you are actually connected to B41.

• Like 1

Got my 6P today. It definitely has issues where after a call it stays on 3G or sometimes 1x800 and B25 (where I live right next to a B41 tower.) I'll post a screen shot. Not sure if this is an eCSFB issue because there is no problem getting calls, it's the reconnecting back to LTE after the call ends where I'm seeing an issue.

I posed the issue to the thread earlier and seemed to be in the minority. I am receiving a new device tomorrow sending the one I have back after I am able to compare both side by side to see if it is simply my device or a software quirk as it is sporadic and still think it depends on when the phone decides to scan for signal. As my device even when holding strong band 41 will scan and kick back down to band 26 when idle over an WiFi connection. When in call if it is in a parked idle state during reception of the call, and it ends during that bridge it will just connect to 3g before it cycles back to lte connection. I have an extra Sim on hand and check if that may have played a role by using the new Sim, then switching to the one in this device currently. Should give me a better idea if then it is how it should be or simply a fault in the device.

I posed the issue to the thread earlier and seemed to be in the minority. I am receiving a new device tomorrow sending the one I have back after I am able to compare both side by side to see if it is simply my device or a software quirk as it is sporadic and still think it depends on when the phone decides to scan for signal. As my device even when holding strong band 41 will scan and kick back down to band 26 when idle over an WiFi connection. When in call if it is in a parked idle state during reception of the call, and it ends during that bridge it will just connect to 3g before it cycles back to lte connection. I have an extra Sim on hand and check if that may have played a role by using the new Sim, then switching to the one in this device currently. Should give me a better idea if then it is how it should be or simply a fault in the device.

Were you actually not connecting to LTE, or were you showing this 1x + LTE issue talked about above? If so, a new device is not going to change that.

Were you actually not connecting to LTE, or were you showing this 1x + LTE issue talked about above? If so, a new device is not going to change that.

Not connecting to lte. Not signal check display issue...

Just got my N6P about a week ago! Loving it! truly an awesome device. But in terms of radio details this thing is a dog! What's up with the SC Pro displaying SNR at 20dB at all times. I became very used to the proper SNR display on the OG N6 which displayed everything including bars accurately.

This is a well known Android 5.1+ bug (feature?). Affects a wide range of devices, and there currently is no way around it. You are on LTE, however for some reason devices are still seeing what appears to be a concurrent 1x signal as well. There is no CSFB or any other issue here. While the 1x signal is showing, the LTE data will not populate correctly. For some reason SCP is not able to see the current band. In the interim, LTE Discover can read the LTE band while this error is occurring.

This shows up when you lose LTE for a short time (say a phone call) and then re-connect to LTE. If you check the engineering screen (if they show any good data on the 6P, I don't remember) it should show that you are actually connected to B41.

It's definitely falling back to 3G after a call. The engineering screen and speed test confirm it.